Hood pins and stock hoods discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
Personally, I don't like my current hood pins. Mr. Gasket Co from Autozone and they ran me about $9, lulz.. My hood doesn't stay locked/latched, ever. Doesn't matter how many times I've adjusted the latch either. Drop/slam the hood from chest high and it closes. Pull up on it and the ****er comes right up. Therefore, I'm going to remove the latch completely, yank the cable out and find some legit hood pins.

EVILSN

Reaction score
I like hood pins but I couldn't cut my 500$ hood so I used the underside and put one thru the grill. The hood fitment is perfect I just like to know it's safe!
image.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

EVILSN

Reaction score
White95 I always take the latch off grind off the alignment pin and then put the latch back on. I had a buddy with a stubborn hood and the latch didn't have enough adjustment without cutting off that alignment pin.

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
White95 I always take the latch off grind off the alignment pin and then put the latch back on. I had a buddy with a stubborn hood and the latch didn't have enough adjustment without cutting off that alignment pin.

Yep, I actually did that first.. My car is a special needs case.

OP
OP
Nuttinbutcrumbs

Nuttinbutcrumbs

Reaction score
Plenty of autocross courses get up around 80 mph, more if you have a car with more balls...

Hm, I didn't realize that they got going that fast.
My only autoX experience was in the early '00's when I was in the navy. The place I worked would sometimes host autoX events on "the ramp" which is just a big slab of concrete that the LCAC's would enter and exit the water and would park on when not in use. I guess it was just a small "track," the faster cars probably didn't get above 50. http://www.tidewatersportscarclub.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=40&Itemid=78
0e27bd36ce9f6f405a1c6ad103fd8873.jpg
d7494bc65e97f1aa4bac0b92bbecc2ec.jpg
c612488225910cc1da3b50f9c3822769.jpg
2a6908de2113e8338ae00616af0dac9c.jpg

This was like in '02 I think and there were quite a few hyundai's rocking big wings.

Don't Sext and Drive.

OP
OP
Nuttinbutcrumbs

Nuttinbutcrumbs

Reaction score
Personally, I put hood pins on mine with the stock latch still "functioning"... When you see the hood wobbling up and down when going 65mph it's worth the peace of mind. Plus my car isn't worth anything so I'd rather put money into something functional that doesn't look bad vs replacing a windshield.
Not doggin you or anything but has your car been wrecked? The only hood latch issue that I have is that I either have to drop the hood from like 4-5" for it to latch or if I set it down gently, I have to press kinda hard to get it to latch. But no hood wobble at 130 mph or so.
Don't tell anyone but awhile back I bought the faux pins. I bought black ones (they were on sale $30) because I thought that they'd mesh well w my black ground effects and the black chin spoiler. Well, I set em where they'd be but I didn't peel the adhesive backing off. I steeped back five feet and gave er a look and I just couldn't pull the trigger. They kinda messed up the smooth body lines and were a tad too rice a roni for my taste.
If anyone's interested, I have some black faux hood pins, never used. $15 obo, they might look good w yer black "rims" [emoji12]
PS: my hood and latch are old. Like 350k miles old, as long as it's latched it's staying put. Yeah; there are documented cases of stock hoods flying up but I imagine that there are 10's of thousands of undocumented 20 year old hoods and latches that aren't flying up.

Don't Sext and Drive.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Personally, I put hood pins on mine with the stock latch still "functioning"... When you see the hood wobbling up and down when going 65mph it's worth the peace of mind. Plus my car isn't worth anything so I'd rather put money into something functional that doesn't look bad vs replacing a windshield.

I am leaving mine on as well.

Burninriverdiver

Reaction score
Not doggin you or anything but has your car been wrecked? The only hood latch issue that I have is that I either have to drop the hood from like 4-5" for it to latch or if I set it down gently, I have to press kinda hard to get it to latch. But no hood wobble at 130 mph or so.
Don't tell anyone but awhile back I bought the faux pins. I bought black ones (they were on sale $30) because I thought that they'd mesh well w my black ground effects and the black chin spoiler. Well, I set em where they'd be but I didn't peel the adhesive backing off. I steeped back five feet and gave er a look and I just couldn't pull the trigger. They kinda messed up the smooth body lines and were a tad too rice a roni for my taste.
If anyone's interested, I have some black faux hood pins, never used. $15 obo, they might look good w yer black "rims" [emoji12]
PS: my hood and latch are old. Like 350k miles old, as long as it's latched it's staying put. Yeah; there are documented cases of stock hoods flying up but I imagine that there are 10's of thousands of undocumented 20 year old hoods and latches that aren't flying up.

Don't Sext and Drive.

Funny you mentioned wrecked, I didn't know when I bought it that it was ( nor did I care for the price and crappy civic I traded). I haven't had any other issues but the hood wobble could be from that. Who knows, I don't care tho the pins do the trick!

Burninriverdiver

Reaction score
I am leaving mine on as well.

I might spring for s set of the aero catch ones like you've got some day. They look killer. By the way, hope you get some good garage time in soon, I'd love to see how that car is looking

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
I have aero catch latches too. I've just been too lazy to finish my hood. I totally removed my stock latch also. My reasoning was the same as burninriverdiver my hood would wobble at interstate speeds and I thought for sure I was going to loose it the one time I hit 145. It was scary, and it was a stock hood at the time.

OP
OP
Nuttinbutcrumbs

Nuttinbutcrumbs

Reaction score
Can we get some honesty in the room? Do hood pins look cool, yes or no? Yeah they kinda do on some cars.
With an aftermarket hood I wouldn't go any other way, who would? But if a guy has car with straight body and a latch that's in good working order, hood pins aren't a necessity. However, they'll give you a little extra "security" as well as a little "bling". The extra "security" being like 20% and the "bling" at 80%.
If ya need em, ya need em. If ya dig em, ya dig em.

Don't Sext and Drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
robtalbott