I have the motor...

ZIG-ZAG

Reaction score
I picked up a killer deal on a mark8 motor a while back and it's now sitting in my garage.

I'm looking to build it with forged internals that will hold 800ish hp.Who makes the best kit at a descent price?I'm thinking of going with an intercooled t-trim and everything that goes with it...big fuel system,L/T headers,tko trans,built 8.8,cage.....

It will probably go into a 96-98 gt unless I can find a good deal on a 96-98 cobra.The car will be a stripped down street car no P/S,no A/C,manual brakes,v-6 doors with roll up windows,drag wheels with fat drag radials on the rear.....

what do you guys think?I would like to have a 9 second street car for me and my boy (4-years old) to go roll around in.

I'm going to start with building the motor,then getting some of the other parts and probably picking up a car next spring to dump it all into.I allready have most of the UPR suspention.... solid upper and lower control arms,torque box plates,full sub-frame connectors,manual brake set-up....

oemracing

Reaction score
Yeah I couldnt bring myself to stripping down a cobra to nothing for anything. Whats the difference between the gt and v6 doors?

OP
OP
Z

ZIG-ZAG

Reaction score
yeah the v-6 doors have roll up windows..I want to use evey trick i can to get the car as light as possible while not looking like a gutted out race car.

I figure if i can get the car to put down 650-700 hp with a light weight body and well set up suspention it sould be able to go 9's

uncltrvlnmatt

Post Whore
Reaction score
I would leave the power steering and power brakes for safety reasons. A 9 second car will be tuff to stop with manual brakes.

OP
OP
Z

ZIG-ZAG

Reaction score
uncltrvlnmatt said:
I would leave the power steering and power brakes for safety reasons. A 9 second car will be tuff to stop with manual brakes.
i always thought when done right with the pedal arm change there was not a lot of diffrence

El_Diablo

Reaction score
ever tried to stop your car from 90+ mph with the engine off and no vacuum on the booster? hope you never have to...... i say leave it, you wont save all that much

uncltrvlnmatt

Post Whore
Reaction score
Did you ever drive a car with manual brakes? That pedal will give you one hell of a workout.

95PGTTech

Reaction score
uncltrvlnmatt said:

with the power he wants to make, he'll need a parachute regardless.
if you're using one of the aftermarket conversion kits, they aren't that bad to stop, they require minimally more pedal pressure.

you want to gut it and have roll up windows but not look like a race car? good luck.
an auto would help out your cause a lot if your primary purpose is drag racing. you're going to destroy the driveline at that power level with a clutch car.

that kind of power, with the weight reduction you listed, is going to put you in the 3200lb. range maximum with driver...that's a deep 9/high 8 car. hope you have the money for the safety equipment and certifications for that.

livernois makes some pretty bad ass stuff, just send them your bare block.

OP
OP
Z

ZIG-ZAG

Reaction score
Thanks for the post 95PGTTech...

The car will be a street/strip car so it will have 2 tunes for it.
If I can get the weight down enough i will leave the power windows just for the comfort of being able to hit the switch and roll them down.I have a good understanding of the saftey stuff that will be needed due to the guys I hang out with.My buddy is crew chief for Mike Post and his low 8 second car.Being around these guys has been a major education in what it takes to run fast.

My goal is to run in the 9.8 range and still have the car somewhat streetable...for cruz nights and picking the kids up form school now and then.
This would allow me to run in an index series near me.So what I'm looking to do is over build the motor so that it can be de-tuned it to run that number.
My buddy Jerry's car ran low 10's with a astro t-5 and says that was close to max.I figure if i were to go with a tko900 and make the shifts it sould be maxed out right where I want to be.
I already know the car will be a long time in the making but it will not be half a$$ed :nono:
I will also do everything in my power not to have an automatic in it even if it means the cars gotta be backed down a bit more.

95PGTTech

Reaction score
an index car almost certainly requires slicks, some killer suspension, and an auto. you put a stick in that setup, you're going to be ripping stuff to pieces, and defeating the consistency. I'd stay away from the harsh shifting tko transmissions, which are really only useful when there is a lot of race-only stuff done to them (faceplating, etc).

you're also going to hate manual brakes on any sort of street use, especially with skinnies in the front.

my suggestion would be to get the new body and install the suspension you have, get the car where you are comfortable as far as weight/liveability, then add the built motor and turn up the wick. this will also prevent it from being one of those never ending projects where the entire car is in ten billion pieces.

OP
OP
Z

ZIG-ZAG

Reaction score
Well I started the tear down...intake is off all of the harness is disconected next up is the front cover and heads.....

I've been talking it over with some people and think I'm going to change direction with this.....
Now I'm going to tear it apart have it cleaned and machined, 20 over with a stock crank, forged I-beam rods, and forged pistons.
cleanup the heads and have them shaved a bit put in some mild cams in with a cobra intake.Then put a 150-200 hp wet shot of spray at it.
this will allow me to have it back together and in a car much quicker and still be able to run the numbers I want.

any idea on what the cost is to have a teksid block fully machined?

95PGTTech

Reaction score
expensive. the teksid block requires a lot of specialty machining (torque plate honing etc.). i would only take/ship it to a 4.6L specific shop, not just some generic machine shop.

OP
OP
Z

ZIG-ZAG

Reaction score
95PGTTech said:
expensive. the teksid block requires a lot of specialty machining (torque plate honing etc.). i would only take/ship it to a 4.6L specific shop, not just some generic machine shop.

I was thinking about DSS they are local to me but have read mixed reviews......thanks for the heads-up on that!
I have read good stuff about these guys http://www.livernoismotorsports.com/
what do you think about these two?

95PGTTech

Reaction score
I have dealt with Livernois a ton through JDM, Rick makes/does some awesome stuff. A bit more expensive than everyone else, but the quality is worth it. Cheaper doing it once...

I personally purchased their 298 stroker kit for my own use. As of yet, have not had the opportunity to install, but have many customers out there running the kit.

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
ZIG-ZAG said:
yeah the v-6 doors have roll up windows..I want to use evey trick i can to get the car as light as possible while not looking like a gutted out race car.

I figure if i can get the car to put down 650-700 hp with a light weight body and well set up suspention it sould be able to go 9's

my 1996 V6 had power windows, locks, mirrors, trunk button, and power seat.
my 1996 GT has no power windows, locks, trunk button, power seat, or fog lights.
ZIG-ZAG said:
I picked up a killer deal on a mark8 motor a while back and it's now sitting in my garage.

I'm looking to build it with forged internals that will hold 800ish hp.Who makes the best kit at a descent price?I'm thinking of going with an intercooled t-trim and everything that goes with it...big fuel system,L/T headers,tko trans,built 8.8,cage.....

It will probably go into a 96-98 gt unless I can find a good deal on a 96-98 cobra.The car will be a stripped down street car no P/S,no A/C,manual brakes,v-6 doors with roll up windows,drag wheels with fat drag radials on the rear.....

what do you guys think?I would like to have a 9 second street car for me and my boy (4-years old) to go roll around in.

I'm going to start with building the motor,then getting some of the other parts and probably picking up a car next spring to dump it all into.I allready have most of the UPR suspention.... solid upper and lower control arms,torque box plates,full sub-frame connectors,manual brake set-up....

do 4.6L OEM Cobra if you can... arguably the highest quality and best bang for the buck. livernoise and probe both make stroker kits.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suprasuavy

Members online