locking lugnuts?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by eliyarbrough, Jun 5, 2007.

1. eliyarbrough

eliyarbrough Legend

I am finally getting my 03 Cobra rims put on tomorrow!! A friend recommended buying locking lugs. I say no to them though. If I were a crook, that would be my first theft! Stealing me sets of different keys, I mean. What are y'alls outlook on buying them? Thanks!!

2. scarface

scarface Guest

I wouldnt get them myself, but I dont live in an area where I would worry about my wheels being stolen?

3. 4point6GT

4point6GT Active Member

i bought them mcgard lockin lug nut set, n ma key is already fucked up!!!!!! im pissed!!!!!!!!!!!!!lucky 4 me it fucked up in the final 4th wheel, lol so theyre tight enough.....i need to order a new damn key now tho :slap:

4. gt96stang

gt96stang Well-Known Member

If someone wants your rims bad enough, locking lugs are not going to stop them..

5. 4point6GT

4point6GT Active Member

will make it harder tho

6. 19mustang95

19mustang95 Legend

i have gorilla locking lugs, they are decently priced and all 20 of them require the key. but it isn't hard to get a set of keys, all you need to do is go to discount tire. i like having them, but then again, they were on my car when i bought them, so i didn't have to pay for them.

7. Twista

Twista Legend

i broke my key trying to check my tire for a nail :/

There easy to get off though. Just get a socket a size smaller than the lugnut and hammer it on the lock. (youll ruin both the lock and socket) and wah-lah. You have a broken lock ;D

edit: It has to be an 8 point socket i think.

8. CanaryGT

CanaryGT Well-Known Member

Same here. I got them because I had the stock lugs and I wanted a set of pretty shiny ones. So that worked out good for me. I can see that all you would have to do is go back to discount and buy the set so you too then have the key. But hell, if it prevents it once..... it does it job.

9. 19mustang95

19mustang95 Legend

that and it takes a hell of a long time to get 20 locking lug nuts off compared to only having four, like what many comapnies sell.

10. CanaryGT

CanaryGT Well-Known Member

I have to agree with you on that. I also like how they all just look the same then.

11. ui_cowboy

ui_cowboy New Member

Just bought my car and it has locking lugnuts on it, I didn't know this untill i took it in to the shop to get a screw removed from the tire :( I don't have the key so they have to order me a new one so the car is out of comission untill then :lame: i didn't even know they made them untill today LOL

12. stang94X

stang94X Active Member

i had bullet rims on my car last summer with locking nuts, well they only lasted about a week before i went and bought regular ones cause you can see all the lugnuts and when ever i would look at the rims my eyes went straight to the one locking nut cause it was different, so i took them off cause i thought it was ugly

13. Lightning Struck

Lightning Struck Legend

yea they will just take your entire car :nonono:

14. The Green GT

The Green GT Active Member

They sell kits that will easily get locking lugs off.

And have you ever heard of that gator grip socket?

I had them on mine but broke a stud off in one so I just got new non locking nuts.

15. linkage13

linkage13 New Member

Gator gripper sucks! I just broke my Mcgard key yesterday, :BangHead: and bought one of the grippers. As you can tell from my first statement it did not work. I wound up ordering a new key, but I'm probably just going to put regular chrome lugs all the way around. Just looks better with normal lugs anyways.

16. eliyarbrough

eliyarbrough Legend

See someone brought this back. Kinda funny I don't even have the rims in which I posted this about.

17. linkage13

linkage13 New Member

That's funny. I just saw July 3rd on the last post didn't notice the big fat 07 after it. Oh well, they still suck. LOL

18. eliyarbrough

eliyarbrough Legend

How did you find the thread? If you did a search, I see how that would happen. Doesn't matter to me. Obviously you needed to know about it. I'm all for finding answers.

19. Venom351R

Venom351R Legend

Ive lost 2 locking lug nut keys before its a major pain in the ass. I dont run any now.

20. greenscobie86

greenscobie86 Well-Known Member

Good tool companies sell wheel lock removal kits. I've seen the Snap On one in action, and it works well.

I just bought a cheap set of locks from American Muscle, they turned out pretty ok for $7.