Lowering springs - what went wrong

330CubeGt

Reaction score
Damn, I was talking around a $300 set. For $500 I would cut my stock springs as I have found yhem to ride better then some of my ebay springs..

OP
OP
F

Finale-gt

Reaction score
Ok, I am now in serious need of a suspension guru!

I have received a part refund on the springs, so today I stripped the back end again, removed the isolators, and cut half a coil off. The car is still sitting at exactly the same height, I know because I marked it on a length of wood.

What the hell could be holding it off? Any ideas would be gratefully received.

96gt4.6

Reaction score
Dude... seriously, chill. give the damn springs a few days to settle.

You asked, we answered. Come back next week and we'll go from there.

seriously, you really think there will be no drop at all till the springs settle. sorry but that remark is a dick head reply that is wrong.

id say take some pics of the suspension maybe someone can see what is going on

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
how are you going about installing the springs? they are the only thing that should control the height of the car.

OP
OP
F

Finale-gt

Reaction score
how are you going about installing the springs? they are the only thing that should control the height of the car.

Think I looked at the wrong mark on the wood. It has come down a little now. I'll measure exactly later. Still not low enough, obviously the rear springs were wrong for my car. The fronts look great ;-)

OP
OP
F

Finale-gt

Reaction score
Taking the isolator out and cutting 1/2 a coil, got me 3/4". I may cut another 1/2 a coil.

From the floor, the front arch is 26.75"
From the floor, the rear arch is 28.5"

OP
OP
F

Finale-gt

Reaction score
After scraping on absolutely everything today, I may put the isolators back in the front, to lift the front slightly rather than dropping the rear any further! Should level it out a bit.

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
If you are that low, have you done anything about bump steer?

OP
OP
F

Finale-gt

Reaction score
If you are that low, have you done anything about bump steer?

Basically no. I have put the isolators back in the front and the car has come up 1.5cm. The camber has gone to looking normal, instead of the bottom of the wheel sticking out loads.

What is best for bump steer?

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
The easiest way to determine if you need to do anything with bumpsteer is to look at the tie rods. If they are parallel or very close to parallel with the ground you are okay. If not, you will have bump steer issues. The more severe the angle, the more the issue. Both MM and Steeda have bump steer kits. Basically they are replacement ball joints that alter the height of the tie rod attachment in an attempt to get it more parallel.

RichV

Reaction score
What about H&R, isn't that a german manufacturer?

Dunno, $505 and deal with it once and be done. Now you got cut ebay springs that are going to ride like shit.

Very cool SN BTW!!

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Yes H&R are German. The problem with the cost of things there isn't the locale, it's the number.

Here's what I mean: say a Big Mac meal here in the states costs $5.50. Well, overseas it will also be 5.50. The number stays the same. However, its obviously not dollars. Say you are in London. That's £5.50. Same number. But if you convert it, that's actually equivalent to ~$8.25.

Same problem with the springs. They will be the same number over there as they are here: say 325. Problem is, here it's $325, there £325. Then convert it...

That's why so many Europeans vacation in the states and go shopping. They get much more for their money. :)

Edit: And probably why so few Americans vacation in Europe...we really do have it good here regarding the cost of things. It's easy to forget that, or not even be aware of it in the first place.

OP
OP
F

Finale-gt

Reaction score
What about H&R, isn't that a german manufacturer?

Dunno, $505 and deal with it once and be done. Now you got cut ebay springs that are going to ride like shit.

Very cool SN BTW!!

Cheers, you're right of course, it now rides like shit. I'm considering putting the original fronts back in. The rears are still too high but seem to handle ok.

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I dont have bumpersteer on my car.

As for parts being made in a country doesnt make them easy/cheaper to get .
I replaced the gas tank on my car, it is clearly stamped Made in Canada specifically Ontario. I wasn't able to purchase the tank in Canada, it could only come from detriot. So it got shipped across the border again wasting more of my money and time.

Its not as easy to get parts out of the US. I cant imagine trying to get stuff in Europe...

Lowering a car won't make the ride better and yes you're going to scrap things. You adapt or go back to 4x4.

Saint

Reaction score
Okay...They probably accidentally sent you stock springs. There is no way your ride sat that high after putting lowering springs...OMG that pic though.

500$ Eibachs???

Eibachs are only $250 here in the US from american muscle along with H&R super sports rating at a 2in drop rear and 1.75 drop front.

I would return those springs and order some H&R super sports.

OP
OP
F

Finale-gt

Reaction score
I have cut 1/2 a coil and refitted the original front springs. It rides so much better now. I'm going to leave it like this now after impaling the car (whilst lowered) on the speed humps at work (metal box type humps with metal flappy teeth on top).

Thanks for all the help guys, sure I'll be back with other questions soon lol

Saint

Reaction score
I have cut 1/2 a coil and refitted the original front springs. It rides so much better now. I'm going to leave it like this now after impaling the car on the speed humps at work (metal box type humps with metal flappy teeth on top).

Thanks is for all the help guys, sure I'll be back with other questions soon lol

Great, glad it's dropped.

Oh and don't just come around for questions lol. Shoot the breeze in the Lounge sometime.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
T's Convertible

Members online