Made my first carbon fiber panel!

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I wouldn't necessarily let it start curing, but it is not a bad idea to brush some resin over the part before laying up. I am unsure how the material you are using is, is there a mat side or is it the same on both sides? if it has a mat, make sure to wet out the mat first, then lay it up, then start rolling.

Thomas_W

Reaction score
Looks good.

You'll never get the air bubbles out of that part without vacuum bagging it, its just to complex a shape.

Also, dont fiddle with trying to tap the bag to the flanges, just throw the entire mold into a vacuum bag tube.

that part is inside of a 60" wide bag, 16 feet long and subjected to 28" of vacuum. Trying to tape that part and seal a film to the flanges would be impossible.

OP
OP
hondarocks61

hondarocks61

Reaction score
Looks good.

You'll never get the air bubbles out of that part without vacuum bagging it, its just to complex a shape.

Also, dont fiddle with trying to tap the bag to the flanges, just throw the entire mold into a vacuum bag tube.

that part is inside of a 60" wide bag, 16 feet long and subjected to 28" of vacuum. Trying to tape that part and seal a film to the flanges would be impossible.
That tube bagging is awesome! Where can I get those?

Sent from my LGL22C using Tapatalk

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I think it came out good. That is a piece I have been going back and forth on if I want to order one or not.

OP
OP
hondarocks61

hondarocks61

Reaction score
Soooo yeah. Loaded with resin and its still less than half the weight of the original!

B.mad

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ive been wanting to get into CF, but don't know where to start. This is definitely making me want to do it more.

OP
OP
hondarocks61

hondarocks61

Reaction score
Ive been wanting to get into CF, but don't know where to start. This is definitely making me want to do it more.

I literally got up one day and said:

"I'm going to start making carbon fiber parts!"

Here we are! I'm sure I will get the hang of it soon enough, I always do...

The question is, what should I make next?

B.mad

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
I literally got up one day and said:

"I'm going to start making carbon fiber parts!"

Here we are! I'm sure I will get the hang of it soon enough, I always do...

The question is, what should I make next?
Haha thats probably how its gonna happen with me after i get the hans of welding.

I vote for designing and making your own spoiler

sent from the toilet or from my cubicle

OP
OP
hondarocks61

hondarocks61

Reaction score
Haha thats probably how its gonna happen with me after i get the hans of welding.

I vote for designing and making your own spoiler

Hmmm. I'm on the fence about that, I really love my car wingless... A carbon fiber ducktail in the style of the griggs racing piece would be sick though...

B.mad

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Hmmm. I'm on the fence about that, I really love my car wingless... A carbon fiber ducktail in the style of the griggs racing piece would be sick though...
Didn't realize you were wingless. I have the same idea, except mine will be aluminum or plastic for the time being

OP
OP
hondarocks61

hondarocks61

Reaction score
I'm honestly trying to ditch weight with this stuff in addition to making cool looking parts. A center console maybe? What could be made of carbon that weighs down these cars.... hmmm.

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score

Trying to tape that part and seal a film to the flanges would be impossible.

I have to disagree with this a bit, difficult on both accounts? Yes. Impossible? No.

Only because I built more complex parts day in/day out for quite some time lol.

OP
OP
hondarocks61

hondarocks61

Reaction score
Anybody try degassing the resin with vacuum? Thats what I will try next.

OP
OP
hondarocks61

hondarocks61

Reaction score
I have to disagree with this a bit, difficult on both accounts? Yes. Impossible? No.

Getting that crap to seal is a serious PITA! I pushed it down in one spot, only to have it pull up in another lol.

Just bought some tubes, next part I do will be done that way. [emoji106]

Thomas_W

Reaction score

Pro's can do it, sure. But the average joe in his garage who does this a few times a year.... Possible, but why potentially waste the $$ when you can just vacuum bag it (assuming you have the equipment)

OP
OP
hondarocks61

hondarocks61

Reaction score
You introduce air bubbles when stippling the cloth to get rid of the air bubbles.. Vacuum degassing the resin is more for vacuum infusion.
I see! So the more logical approach here is probably to let the mixed resin stand for 30 minutes or so as others here have suggested?

Of course, I suppose its also possible it really isn't needed if im just going to end up stippling it to wet the cloth anyway...

Thomas_W

Reaction score
I wouldnt bother degassing or letting it sit. Large batches of resin cure faster due to exotherm, so you actually end up hurting yourself as the resin thickens.

One trick you can try is prewetting the cloth. Put some clear plastic painters tape down, then your dry cloth. Mix your resin and pour it onto the cloth. Now put another layer of plastic down and use a smooth roller to spread the epoxy into your cloth. Now you can remove one layer of the plastic, while use the other to pickup and carry the wet out cloth onto the mold. Then pull the last layer of plastic off and roll your cloth into your mold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cwacaser

Members online