MC Needs your advice!!!

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
So, as we all know, my engine is garbage (probably should have just bought a honda.)

Anyways, it spun a bearing (or something. theres glitter in the oil.)

so, now its time to decide what to do.

Do I?:

#1) salvage what I have - fully disassemble the engine, polish the crank, fix.
#2) save up (for years?) and stroke it - fully disassemble the engine, replace crank, etc.
#3) Start a whole new build (for years.) - teksid block, stroker kit, C-head top end (off current motor)

keep in mind im poor.

I'm leaning towards #2.

what do you guys think?

If I do go #2, what should I do while im in there?? I've heard the B-head intake cams are better, is this true?? Do i replace the rods/pistons, are those going to fail at 650 HP? etc. etc. etc.

I dont really know the week points of these terminator motors, so just shoot me some advice! :)

KillNThrill24

Legend
Reaction score
MC haha I love it.

Anyways you should sell it to me!!! Haha actually at this moment I prob can't afford it hit me up in a month lol.

If you spun a bearing, just tear it down and start over salvaging what you can since your like most of us a and can't afford to replace with all fresh internals. And IIRC the termi motors are all forged internals meaning they SHOULD be safe to at least 650 but don't quote me on that. Just take it little by little. If you got another car drive it. If not, drop a 2v in it (unless you got rid of it) and drive it around while you rebuild

KillNThrill24

Legend
Reaction score
Pistons are your weak point my friend. If your looking to make 700+ upgrade those if not you'll be fine. I just checked :)

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I would try to salvage and see where that gets you. or save up and jam one of those new 5.0 in there with a pretty supercharger on top :)

greenscobie86

Reaction score
Why not just put new bearings in it, micro polish the crank and go from there? (If thats the case)

I say find out whats broken, fix it(If you have the money) and start driving it...

Nightmare

Reaction score
Part it out, or sell the engine as is and get your self a new 5.0 to put in there.....btw, how is the crank?

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
Go the "easy route" and only fix what's broken. It's no fun having a long mod list to post about and no seat time...

Take it from me, enjoy your car..

BigBore96

Reaction score
Go the "easy route" and only fix what's broken. It's no fun having a long mod list to post about and no seat time...

Take it from me, enjoy your car..

This is my vote. Termi shortblocks are no slouch.

If you feel the itch to get more cubes down the road. Do it right and do a big bore. These have enough stroke as it is. Or do both. But big bores > non big bore stroker.

The 96-98 intake cams have more duration. They are IIRC 202 compared to around 180 iirc. 99 cams are like 200 so you can keep your eye out for those as well as they can also be had cheap.

OP
OP
MustangChris

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
So, BigBore (and fellow folks) is the duration will be benificial on a F/I motor?? why didnt ford put them in in the first place?

BigBore96

Reaction score
Absolutely more duration will be beneficial to you. In n/a engines you can pick up 20+rwhp. In your boosted engine, it will be even more.

FrankenStang

Reaction score
if i were in your boat....id sell frankenstang that cobra manifold off the motor for some money down and a few payments....and then id start hunting for a PI sohc 4.6 motor sinc eits so cheap and easy swap and put that in the stang untill you figure out EXACTLY what you wanna do...and maby ud end up wnating to max that motor out since its soooo much cheaper todo so...either way man ulle figure it out and have fun doing so...

id also start tearing down your engine and find EXACTLY whats wrong with it, it may be best for you to just fix whats wrong....may not cost all that much and if you get a hand lended for help it may not take long at all....

chris91

Reaction score
if i were in your boat....id sell frankenstang that cobra manifold off the motor for some money down and a few payments....and then id start hunting for a PI sohc 4.6 motor sinc eits so cheap and easy swap and put that in the stang untill you figure out EXACTLY what you wanna do...and maby ud end up wnating to max that motor out since its soooo much cheaper todo so...either way man ulle figure it out and have fun doing so...

id also start tearing down your engine and find EXACTLY whats wrong with it, it may be best for you to just fix whats wrong....may not cost all that much and if you get a hand lended for help it may not take long at all....

He has a Terminator swap in his car. No manifold for you. And for the price of a PI engine he could damn near have his rebuilt...

I vote for #1, just having yours rebuilt.

OP
OP
MustangChris

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
so, there was constantly a "pop" in the exhaust... I would like to check out the status of the valves. any way to do that without dis-assembly?? compression and leakdown tests?

ram360

Reaction score
i went thru this with my old 03 cobra. Trust me its way cheaper to just order a new long block from mmr and part out the engine you have to recoupe some of your costs.

FrankenStang

Reaction score
i see Pi eng go for under 800 all day long....just saying....easy breezy, and then he could save and build the engine he wants and when hes ready throw it on it...and an 800 dollar engine for his car beats a 1000 beats driving a beater taht would require insurance and a title...

96TANGERINEGT

Reaction score
Dude u should buy a gt500 motor .. Hahahahah. That would be cool..

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alida81

Members online