mcglsr's 2012 Audi A4 Quattro

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Hey everyone, just a quick update on one of the family cars: the A4 Quattro. This is what the wife drives, so it's actually quite stock and will pretty much stay that way ;) Recently, I put some new wheels on it and some lowering springs. I am quite pleased with how it turned out.

I realize now that I don't really have any pics of the Audi before the wheel swap. Here's some pics of the Llama, and you can sort of see the Audi in the background...to get a feel for what it looked like with the stock wheels:

DSCF1053.jpg

DSCF1050.jpg

DSCF1049.jpg

And one of it in the garage:

IMG_2077.jpg

Sorry for the crap pics. No idea why I don't have better ones :-/ Anyway. Got the wheels installed at Discount Tire, and then put it in the garage on jack stands to swap out the springs:

IMG_6148.jpg

IMG_6150.jpg

And then all done:

IMG_6231.jpg

IMG_6232.jpg

Observations: working on an Audi sucks. Terribly. I also did the rear brake pads - that was interesting. Dealer wanted around $650 to do it o_O. For rear pads. Lol. The trouble is the rears use an Electronic Parking Brake. So, in order to get the caliper pistons to fully retract required me to buy a VAG-COM. Anyway, I did. And it all worked. And was still cheaper than $650. And now I can do more things with the car, thanks to the VAG-COM. Anyhoo. The springs. OMFG. It took like 3 days lol. To do the rears, I had to actually drop the rear subframe on each side to get the stock springs out. Ugh. And the fronts. Punch me in the face. Oh, and - of course - Audi uses Torque-To-Yield (TTY) bolts in the suspension. Which means you aren't supposed to reuse them. So there's like another $100 in just hardware alone that is supposed to be replaced. Uggggghhh. Ohhhhh - and getting this car on jack stands? Fergettaboudit. Absolutely ridiculous. Would you believe that there is no central jacking point at the front OR rear of the car? Meaning, you have to pretty much jack up each corner, put a jack stand, and hope to god it doesn't fall off as you do the other corners. Uggggggggh. Audi pretty much assumed it would always be on a lift, and efff the people at home. Seriously.

Anyway, after much cussing and shouting (and maybe a little crying) it all got done. And, if I must say, it looks damn fine. ;)

The wheels are 18x8.5 Rotiform SPF's - we looked at CSL's (and equivalents) but I feel like every European car (Beamers, Audis, VDubs, etc.) have these wheels. So we wanted something that was a bit different. I really like these wheels. They also poke out just a bit more, so the wheels aren't tucked as much anymore.

The springs are H&R OE Sports - they are supposed to provide a "mild" drop of 1.2" front and 1.2" rear. I was concerned that the car would still look 4x4-ish after all the hard work I did - well. Suffice it to say not an issue. If anything, the drop is more than I expected. It's about 1 finger width of a gap. Dayum. Looks really good. And it was super important that the ride stays as close to OEM as possible (again, wife's car). And it is. The ride is just a tad bit stiffer, but still rides pretty much like OEM. And it's still using the non-sport OEM shocks and struts. Overall, this is a great combo if you want a bit of a drop but want to keep the cushy ride...

I am happy with how it turned out, and even more importantly, the wife is happy with it as well ;)

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I've got your vagicom, right here.

Lol but good job, Audi's are a total pain in every aspect.

OP
OP
mcglsr2

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I've got your vagicom, right here.

Lol but good job, Audi's are a total pain in every aspect.

Lol I keep telling my wife it's call a vagi-vajayjay-com and she tells me to shut my mouth ;) It is a rather unfortunate name for it - I don't care if VAG stands for Volkswagen Auto Group....name it something else already sheesh.

And yes, total and utter pain in my ass. I can appreciate some of the design choices they made. But good god do they over-engineer the shite out of everything. Literally: everything.

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
Sharp lookin car! I had the joy of doing springs on a 12' as well.. I wanted to strangle somebody haha. Good choice on the tires too, are those extreme contact DW or DWS? Or another Conti model.

OP
OP
mcglsr2

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Sharp lookin car! I had the joy of doing springs on a 12' as well.. I wanted to strangle somebody haha. Good choice on the tires too, are those extreme contact DW or DWS? Or another Conti model.

Lol, well I certainly feel your pain :-/

The tires are ControlContact Sport AS's. They are good tires. Actually the second set - the first set were the OEM tires (same ones, I think) and one of them prematurely failed or something. So we ended up getting a pro-rated discount thing for the tire that failed, which made the set of 4 replacements cheaper then if we were to switch brands. The car has over 60K miles now, with essentially these tires. And they have done a great job. I really have no complaints about them ;)

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
Very Nice.. I had considered a nice, bright red S4 at one point but after basically suffering through Volkswagen ownership.... HELL NO

OP
OP
mcglsr2

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Very Nice.. I had considered a nice, bright red S4 at one point but after basically suffering through Volkswagen ownership.... HELL NO

Honestly, I feel like part of the reason I like the car is because nothing has really broke on it yet. If the springs are any indication.... While we like the Audi, whether or not another one is in the cards down the road....well, we will see. Don't get me wrong, it's a very nice car, and drives very nice. But getting another one is certainly not a sure thing at this point.

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Yea, once you start working on it, I think you will be ready to change brands haha

OP
OP
mcglsr2

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Yea, once you start working on it, I think you will be ready to change brands haha

That's what I'm afraid of. We had to get a new battery a little while back, before the rear pad fiasco (so I didn't have the VAG-COM then)....over $500. For a battery. I wanted to punch Audi in the face. Now that I have the VAG-COM, will be getting maximum mileage out of that guy. If this car never sees the stealership again I'll be fine with that... ;)

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Yea, just rub the vag-com and all the problems go away. Just like everything else in life haha

Burninriverdiver

Reaction score
The car looks great lowered on the new wheels! My only experience with VW/ Audi is changing the oil in the pit of a lube shop through college and the skid plates can be a pain! VW has a great following but it seems like when something catastrophic happens people ditch them, my dad had a 2.0t VW cc and got rid of it when the water pump failed. Wish he notified me before he traded it in for next to nothing because they can be pretty sweet cars with patience

OP
OP
mcglsr2

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Yea, just rub the vag-com and all the problems go away. Just like everything else in life haha

Ohhhhh, so *that's* what I've been doing wrong! ;)

Fixed.

My advice, get rid of it before anything serious happens.

Yah, we did that with her Benz before this car. She had it maybe 7 years or something like that. I imagine the Audi will be the same.

The car looks great lowered on the new wheels! My only experience with VW/ Audi is changing the oil in the pit of a lube shop through college and the skid plates can be a pain! VW has a great following but it seems like when something catastrophic happens people ditch them, my dad had a 2.0t VW cc and got rid of it when the water pump failed. Wish he notified me before he traded it in for next to nothing because they can be pretty sweet cars with patience

Thanks! I'm not surprised about the following - there is a lot of good engineering that go into these things. For an interesting comparison, since I am in the middle of this, is looking at the front suspension set up on the Audi vs the 4Runner. Granted, one is a car, the other a truck, but both are independent with upper and lower control arms, McPherson strut, and provisions for drive axles. One can see the same concepts in play between the two, but the way they accomplish it is quite different (the Audi much more complex, the 4Runner much less so). And one has to keep in mind, that at the end of the day....both work. So that begs the question of which is really better.

This also makes me want to pull the wheel off the STI and take a look at how Subaru chose to solve the problem.

JerZeyStangz

Reaction score
I have B5 Audi A4 1.8T for about 6+ years now. I didn't get the cleanest pristinest car but I can appreciate the ride quality and mechanical style quattro system in the northeast. Granted, the car has been a big PITA in couple areas. I was reaching 175k on odo and my turbo seal went, on top of that the trans seal went from mechanics pumping to much fluid which damaged the transmission quite a bit when all the fluid left the TQ, but you know what makes it worth it? When your coming home on stormy snowy night and there is no one on the road but God, you and car (quattro) on the road lol.

I can say that I spent an average of 1500 in maintenance a year spread over 6+ years. Its a joy to drive and have fun when its bad weather out but I pay a decent amount to keep it in tip top shape. I do agree that most german cars are over engineered, it makes working on my two mustangs a breeze. One thing is hard to do is part with quattro... I dont know if I ever can...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
senior001