Misfiring issues

joshuaw3

Reaction score
My car is misfiring on cylinders 1 2 and 3 the codes it's throwing are p0172 too rich p0300 random misfire and then p0301 302 and 303 which is the cylinder 1 2 3 misfire. All of those codes at autozone are fuel related. Basically it idles rough but In first and second it rarely misfires sometimes it does sometimes it doesn't. When I go into 3 and so on it gets worse but when I floor it it like kicks all the cylinders back in and it runs fine when floored but other than that it runs like crap. All the spark plugs and wires are new the coil pack is new and the fuel filter is new. So I'm lost my friends say the fuel pressure regulator but on auto zones database it says that it is in the tank with the fuel pump so then I'm lost as to what the silver thing on the fuel line is where it connects to the fuel rail

OP
OP
J

joshuaw3

Reaction score
Need some help otherwise I'm taking it to the shop tomorrow

D3VST8R96GT

Reaction score
Why did u get a new coil pack? Brand? Do u have the old one still?

What are ur plugs gapped at?

Clean maf new fuel filter never hurts

The D3V

OP
OP
J

joshuaw3

Reaction score
MSd coil pack and wires. Ngk double platinum laser iridium they are gapped at whatever they come pre gapped at bc from what I've been told you don't gap double platinums. I changed the fuel filter about a month ago and a new maf about 2 months ago. I still have the old coil pack. Like I said all the codes have something fuel related as the number one possible cause

D3VST8R96GT

Reaction score
MSd coil pack and wires. Ngk double platinum laser iridium they are gapped at whatever they come pre gapped at bc from what I've been told you don't gap double platinums. I changed the fuel filter about a month ago and a new maf about 2 months ago. I still have the old coil pack. Like I said all the codes have something fuel related as the number one possible cause

No the codes are spark and o2 sensor related ..... p0190 would be fuel related. Lets trouble shoot the coil pack. Switch it back to the old one if the problem is still there you can rule out the coil pack. After market coil packs are prone to fail even if they are new.

You should still check ur spark plug gap. Its recommended toy don't gap them but you should still check and make sure the gap is correct. Don't use the cheap tool at the counter at autozone. Go to the tool section find a feelers gushed set and use that.

I'm sure the autozone computer says a lot of things about what codes mean what but they are rarely correct, codes can tell you 2 things either a sensor is failing or something upstream of the sensor is not working. You never know which one it is though lol. Lucky for you, even with multiple codes its could be a bad o2 sensor causing havoc. But seeing as you're running rich (too much fuel is not getting burned) and ur having misfires (combustion not happening) id start there especially since all the parts have been replaced recently. Fuel air and spark. Sounds like u have plenty of fuel, unless you have a birds nest in ur cai or all ur intake valves are stuck you have air.

The D3V

OP
OP
J

joshuaw3

Reaction score
Ahh gotcha well the coil pack was bad but we put the old one on and still had the same issues. So I guess I'll keep playing with it and see what happens thanks

OP
OP
J

joshuaw3

Reaction score
Well the repair shop couldn't find the problem either so I'm at a loss

DeepList

Administrator
Admin
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Ahh gotcha well the coil pack was bad but we put the old one on and still had the same issues. So I guess I'll keep playing with it and see what happens thanks

How did you come to the conclusion the coil pack was bad? Isn't it a bit ironic that the new coil pack is also "bad"? Sounds like another issue to me.

OP
OP
J

joshuaw3

Reaction score
The repair shop tested the new coil pack and coil one wasn't sending a spark and they put the old one on and it was sending a good spark to all of them and I paid and drove away after five minutes it was doing the same thing. I took it back and they messed with it for like 3 hours and narrowed it down to fuel trim or egr but I have the bama tuner and the egr is supposed to be turned off so I'm going to check and make sure it is then see what happens otherwise ill just take it to the ford dealer

OP
OP
J

joshuaw3

Reaction score
Well after changing the coil pack and doing the strategy tune instead of bamas tunes and I made sure the egr was off it doesn't misfire in first thru third it does it occasionally in 4 th and 5 th at higher speeds generally 55 and up then it starts to bog down but if I floor it it kicks them all back on and I get the burst of power. The mechanic said it could be the delta feed pressure sensor but I don't see y that would cause it if the egr is off?

DeepList

Administrator
Admin
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
If you have the EGR functions disabled, I'm wondering why haven't you removed and blocked off the components?

OP
OP
J

joshuaw3

Reaction score
Could it be the wires possibly? Getting to hot from the header bc one looks like it's scorched

DeepList

Administrator
Admin
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Could it be the wires possibly? Getting to hot from the header bc one looks like it's scorched

It would be worth a shot to swap it out. Regardless, it absolutely sounds like a "spark" issue, but I didn't suggest plugs and wires because you said in the OP that they were new.

OP
OP
J

joshuaw3

Reaction score
I mean they are but like I said when I took it to the shop the coil pack was bad and my uncle said since I don't have any heat sleeves on the wires that that might be the issue on the one side bc it may have burnt the wires up. I guess I'll try that sometime soon see what happens

LilRoush

Reaction score
If you have a melted wire, that could be causing arcing - which means you aren't getting spark in that hole, also leading to your 'rich' reading when the fuel is being passed without being burned.
Is your EGR blocked off properly since it's shut off with the tune?

D3VST8R96GT

Reaction score
Egr delete is a good thing to mention lol any type of egr leak or mod can cause problems like that my bronco is doing that right now cause the egr tube is not connect correctly and I may have a fouled plug now

The D3V

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carolinastang78

Members online