Misfiring issues

OP
OP
J

joshuaw3

Reaction score
I'm just confused bc I turned and blocked off the egr over a month ago and the issue just started a week ago. I would think if it was the case it would start happening right away? But I mean the MSd coil pack was messed up so it wouldn't be hard for me to believe that the wires are messed up too since I bought them at the same time. Tomorrow ill change the wires and see what happens. If that's not it then I have no idea

OP
OP
J

joshuaw3

Reaction score
Well I changed the wires and 2 of the MSd were scorched and cracked so I thought that was the issue but after I drove it it wasn't fixed still doing the same thing it was I'm going to check the spark plugs. Otherwise my friend is thinking that maybe it's bc I'm running premium? Even though its tuned for that. He said his coworker said it might be the dpfe sensor but idk if that's part of the egr bc if it is then the egr is off. Should I try putting the egr back on?

DeepList

Administrator
Admin
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Also, you said the plugs are new... which ones did you put in there, and are you sure you got the right ones?

I'm still thinking this is spark related in one way or another. Pull the plugs out and inspect them. Make sure they're gapped correctly.
If you're using some shit plugs like champion or bosch, throw them in the garbage and go get some Autolites or Motorcraft.

OP
OP
J

joshuaw3

Reaction score
I'm using Ngk double platinum laser iridium they are like 14 bucks a piece. Do you know what the gap is supposed to be? And also if the egr is turned off would the delta feed pressure sensor still be on or not?

OP
OP
J

joshuaw3

Reaction score
Well it turns out I should really consult the forum before I do something to my car bc apparently when my friends blocked off the egr and capped the header we never took out the sensor or took out the vacuum lines so it's got to be leaking pretty good. I'm going to try it and see what happens.

OP
OP
J

joshuaw3

Reaction score
Well two of the wires were scorched and cracked and the cylinder 2 spark plug was cracked. So I thought I had fixed the problem but on my to cinci it started doing the running weird thing. And it threw an upstream o2 sensor code could that be causing the problem?

DeepList

Administrator
Admin
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, bad plugs/wires would absolutely cause O2 sensors to throw codes.

In the OP, you said that you installed new plugs and wires, but here you said two of your wires are scorched and a plug was cracked? Before this can be diagnosed any further, you have to ensure that all 6 of your plugs are of the correct type, gapped correctly and are in good condition... same with your wires. Once that's taken care of (if the issues still persist) then we can rule out the plugs/wires and start troubleshooting other things.

OP
OP
J

joshuaw3

Reaction score
I did they are new but I guess two were touching the header and scorched them and I checked all the plugs and gapped them correctly. I replaced the bad spark plug with a new one and put all the old wires which are still good back on. It ran better but then on the way to cinci which is about an hour drive from where I am. It started doing it again and it threw the o2 sensor code. I knew the wires and plug would be an issue but it had never thrown the o2 sensor code before it did on the drive to cinci? So I'm wondering if that could be causing the issue

DeepList

Administrator
Admin
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
P2196 I think

I don't think your O2 sensor is bad. When the O2 sensors foul, they will tent to read low (lean), not high (rich). They're essentially like a small battery... when they die, they lose voltage, they don't add voltage. You're probably getting that code because there truly is a rich condition being sensed.

OP
OP
J

joshuaw3

Reaction score
When you the code shows up on my scan tool it says bad o2 sensor on driver side and then it says with another code that the other side is running rich.

OP
OP
J

joshuaw3

Reaction score
I'm just confused the only thing I can think of now is that maybe the spark plug I put in since its different from the others or another wire is bad bc I've replaced basically everything I could tomorrow ill get the same spark plug as the others although I don't think it will make a huge difference but idk at this point

DeepList

Administrator
Admin
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I'm just confused the only thing I can think of now is that maybe the spark plug I put in since its different from the others or another wire is bad bc I've replaced basically everything I could tomorrow ill get the same spark plug as the others although I don't think it will make a huge difference but idk at this point

You're mixing spark plug types?

OP
OP
J

joshuaw3

Reaction score
Well I had too bc I couldn't afford to go buy a new Ngk yet. I have a motorcraft that I took out when I changed them all a couple months ago so I have 5 Ngk double platinum laser iridium and 1 motorcraft double platinum. I didn't think it would make a huge difference but if you think so I guess I'll find out when I get the new Ngk this week

OP
OP
J

joshuaw3

Reaction score
So we looks at the 02 sensor and the connector is melted. My friend thinks that sense it's not working and the passenger side is running rich it could be causing the problem bc if there's too much gas going to the one side that its causing the misfire and what not.

DeepList

Administrator
Admin
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
You said your O2 sensor was melted, so I thought you already figured it out.... Did you replace it?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDTag

Members online