Misfiring issues

OP
OP
J

joshuaw3

Reaction score
Not yet they arnt cheap and the connector was melted my friend thinks that bc of that its making the passenger side run really rich and it's not letting the plugs fire is he right?

DeepList

Administrator
Admin
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
You will have to understand... if you have scorched plug wires, they need replaced with NEW wires. If you have cracked spark plugs, they need replaced, with NEW plugs. If your O2 has a melted connector, it will need to be replaced with a NEW sensor. Don't put used stuff back on the car that you took off already. That being said, if the connector on the O2 sensor is melted, I can only assume that it's not making contact, the wires are broken, grounded, etc. In which case, the sensor isn't sending any data to the PCM. It's possible that your car may have entered FMEM (Failure Mode Effects Management) operating mode (sometimes called "limp" mode) and it will substitute default fixed values for the missing signal. The engine will then run on a rich mixture because the PCM is not getting the information it is programmed to look for. As you may know, a lean mixture can do a lot more damage to an engine vs a rich mixture, so the engine will run rich as a precaution... Also something to keep in mind, the rich mixture can ruin the catalytic converters if not corrected as soon as possible.

OP
OP
J

joshuaw3

Reaction score
Touched the header. I replaced the scorched wires with the stock ones till American muscle sends new ones. I just replaced the o2 sensor and coil pack and the cracked plug. Drove it about 25 miles and it was great for the first 20 then it started doing its thing again. It hasn't thrown any codes yet bc I cleared the codes. My friend thinks that it's too hot and it's causeing more resistance which is leading to the failures so when I get the new wires and heat wrap the header and put heat sleeves on the wires ill see if he's right. I'm wondering if it was running rich enough if it may have damaged the spark plugs. Could that be the issue maybe?

DeepList

Administrator
Admin
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Run it for a while and see if it throws any codes again before jumping on anything else. It will take a while for it to adjust the A/F.

DeepList

Administrator
Admin
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Unhooking the battery will reset the computer and clear out the "adaptive leaning" stuff.

DeepList

Administrator
Admin
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Not that long... but you might as well just unhook it and leave it disconnected overnight while you're asleep.

OP
OP
J

joshuaw3

Reaction score
Well I just unhooked it while I'm at work bc I didn't want to deal with it at 5am so I unhooked it about an hour ago and I get off in 3 so four hours that should be good right

DeepList

Administrator
Admin
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Well I just unhooked it while I'm at work bc I didn't want to deal with it at 5am so I unhooked it about an hour ago and I get off in 3 so four hours that should be good right

Yeah, that should be fine.

OP
OP
J

joshuaw3

Reaction score
So I bought anew i2 sensor for the drivers side bc it was melted well that didnt solve the problem and now it's throwing p2196 so idk if that means that my passenger side o2 sensor is bad or something else

DeepList

Administrator
Admin
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Who tuned the car and who shut the EGR functions off for you?

OP
OP
J

joshuaw3

Reaction score
Bama performance. It's the 400 dollar flash tuner that am sells and bama creates the tunes specifically for your car. I can't imagine it would be that just bc of the fact that I've had the tuner since April and it just started having problems this month

DeepList

Administrator
Admin
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Bama performance. It's the 400 dollar flash tuner that am sells and bama creates the tunes specifically for your car. I can't imagine it would be that just bc of the fact that I've had the tuner since April and it just started having problems this month

*sigh*

Read up... there's a lot of threads about this already.

OP
OP
J

joshuaw3

Reaction score
So basicly from what I read I'm screwed out of 400 dollars. So in your opinion should I try returning it to stock then doing the tune it yourself mode on the tuner so that it keeps the egr and rear o2 cel off or what bc now I have no idea what to do

OP
OP
J

joshuaw3

Reaction score
It's not worth putting anymore money into its just a v6 I should have left the thing alone

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alleghenyamerican

Members online