MM vs Agent 47

fixthedoor

Reaction score
I thought I was settled on the MM maximum grip box but then I came across the Agent 47 double A-arm front suspension system. Price wise it's a little more than the MM setup but it's supposed to be better. I am concerned about the durability of the Agent 47 system since it will be going on a daily driver. Someone please give me some insight on the Agent 47 system? Thanks.

94Pro-5.0

Reaction score
do you have a link to this agent 47? I have never heard of it.

Griggs Racing makes a double a-arm front suspension. They call it their SLA tower kit

SRT Handz

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Agent-47 Double A-Arm front is SEXY AS HELL. I have Been to Agent-47's shop..... if only it wasnt so over priced

ReplicaR

Reaction score
One of the instructors at our group has Agent47 on his car, and he loves it. The car is not much of a street car, but that SLA has proven itself many times over on the Agent47 AIX car, and it's a helluva cheaper than Griggs.

OP
OP
F

fixthedoor

Reaction score
Yeah it's pretty sick. Price wise it slots in between the MM kit and the Griggs kit. What I don't like about the Agent 47 kit is they do not have a matching rear end kit. I could easily use MM parts on the rear and Agent 47 parts on the front. I've read a little bit about the Agent 47 car and their success on the track. I'm pleased with what I read on their product and but I most concerned with how they deal with customers as well as the quality of their product.

ReplicaR,

When you say he loves it, what do you mean? Has he said anything about the ease of install, whether or not it's a complete kit (nothing else to buy when I do the install) and the comfort level? Thanks.

ReplicaR

Reaction score
It's a complete kit I think. Nothing from stock car or McPherson strut gets reused, not even shocks. The install looked pretty clean and compact, but as far as ride quality goes, and stuff like that, you have to keep in mind that these are race parts. From what I understand, his car does not get driven much off track, so you can make your own conclusion. Best idea would be to call A47 directly, and just ask them a few questions.

OP
OP
F

fixthedoor

Reaction score
I am planning on calling them, but it's the weekend so I could only send an email. Given the age of their product not much customer feedback is available so I'm digging where I can. Thanks again.

ReplicaR

Reaction score
SRT Handz said:
MM>Griggs>Agent-47>Steeda>ALL

Are you out of your mind? You would rather have MM McPherson and torque arm/panhard over Griggs SLA and torque arm/watts link? Griggs makes the most bad ass suspension for mustangs, period. There is a reason why the fastest AIX cars are Griggs equipped. The only problem that I see with Griggs is that it's outrageously expensive, and unless you are competing, or you have so much money that you don't even care, it's not worth it.

Don't get me wrong, I think all of those listed above are excellent setups. MM is not as expensive by comparison and works great. Steeda 5 link was actually designed by Ford Racing team, and is a wonderful piece of engineering. Agent47 offers track performance at an excellent price. Also, you forgot EVM with their 3rd link/watts link setup, which is bad ass as well. But if going fast is your key, and your budget is a blank signed check, then it does not get any better than Griggs Racing. They even sell turn-key GR40 mustangs now.

SRT Handz

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Griggs racing stuff is Bomb..... But it just doesnt Work on the street. Steeda Just sucks Donkey Balls and the 5 Link has WAY to many moving parts.

Race Car - Griggs

Street Car/Track Star - MM

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
That front suspension kit is A W S O M E!

pricey, but superior performer I'm sure!

I like the griggs stuff too, but it's expensive, and harsh on the street.
Race track, they do awsome!

ReplicaR

Reaction score
Every system has it's ups and downs. To say that 5link sucks because apperantly it has too many moving parts is just stupid. Ford Racing team specifically designed the 5 link to have a bind free operation by having all the control arms go at the same angle, and have a 42inch panhard bar control the side to side axle motion. The 5 link is light, does not have wheel hop under hard braking, and 5 link has way more adjustablilty than torque arm system. The only thing I have against 5 link is that in using the long panhard and therefore reducing the axle swing and side to side rear roll center differences, they said axe ney to the rear exit exhaust.

SRT Handz

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
The one thing that turns me away from the 5 link in the bushings. All the bushing are Poly.....and there is SO MANY of them that i would think it would be a PITA to change the bushings if they ever went out. With MM you can get everything spherical with zero maintenance.

I just havent really seen any winning cars running Steeda.... all i see is Griggs and MM in the winner circle.

I have tried to see a 5-link in person for YEARS.... but i have never met someone who has one... i wonder how many steeda actually sells.

Ciotti

Reaction score
ReplicaR said:
The only thing I have against 5 link is that in using the long panhard and therefore reducing the axle swing and side to side rear roll center differences, they said axe ney to the rear exit exhaust.

They make a version with a shorter panhard bar so that you can still run tail pipes.

Another strong point of Steeda's 5 link is that you don't lose any ground clearance, if you are going to run just a panhard bar and LCA's MM all the way, but as soon as you want to take the next step, the Torque are MM set up hangs awful low to the ground on a car that is usually already lowered. For me that's no good as I daily drive the Cobra so the 5 link is the way to go.

Also, as far the the poly bushings go, they're actually going to be much more compliant with a street driven car, I've heard a lot of guys that go with MM LCA's complaining about the extra noise they make because of the spherical bushings. I'd rather have all the poly bushings of the 5 link to keep some of that noise out and also to suck up some of the smaller bumps on our awful lroads here in NJ.

Different strokes for different folks though, I still love MM but their rear end stuff is not the best option for me, when I'm ready to hit my front suspension they'll be getting the nod though, their prices are too good to pass up.

ReplicaR

Reaction score
5 Link II is purely steeda's creation, and they butched the effect of long panhard by shortening it substantially. The shorter the panhard, the more side to side motion it will have when the axle is moving up and down, and the more difference there will be side to side in rear roll center, that can affect the handling from one side to other. Another problem is that even when you have that short, the rear exit exhaust installation is still very tricky, and requires a trip to exhaust shop. You're supposed to either cut up your tips into tiny pieces or get a bunch of piping and put it all together like a puzzle. It's amazing how your view of the system will change once you see the installation instructions. :hammer:

Personally when time comes, I'm probably going with EVM system. Third link setup they have is very similar to what comes on the S197 Mustangs, and those have excellent traction, with very little brake dive, and no bind while in movement. It's a lighter setup than just about any other setup I've seen. For lateral axle locator, I'm still up in the air for this one. Maximum Motorsports panhard bar is cheap and lightweight. EVM Watts Link is bad ass, and will work better than panhard bar. Both of the systems work well, and both allow rear exit exhaust. I guess I just have to wait and see.

OP
OP
F

fixthedoor

Reaction score
Damn you for mentioning them and polluting my decision pool. :TY:
Just something else to consider. I sent them an email, we'll see what they have to say. Didn't hear back from Agent 47 though. Maybe tomorrow. Seems like a good match would be Agent 47 upfront and EvM in the rear. I hear what you are saying about the watts link.

96sohc

Reaction score
You don't need an SLA for a street car; thats just a waste of money.

Your question would be easier answered when we know how you're going to use your car.

ReplicaR

Reaction score
Most of the systems listed in this thread are way overkill for the street. The honest truth is that a good springs/shocks/swaybars combo will be just about 80% as good as all the other stuff listed here. If you are doing this on the budget, that's the route I would definitely go. McPherson’s strut is not the end of the world, when you remove deflection, and have it properly aligned. 4-link is not as unpredictable as people say it is. I was pretty happy with my car’s performance on a very fast track which required a lot of grip, and the only reason why I could not push faster than 122mph out of turn 8 on the Willow Springs, was because I did not have any more power to do it. The car was perfectly stable, and did not screech the tires at any point. When it all comes down to handling, 2/3rd of your grip is tires anyway, so don’t forget to run good rubber.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alleghenyamerican

Members online