Motor oil!!! What kind do you prefer for your pony??

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Ding Ding Ding, a winner...All this is moot because we all have different motors with different maintaince histories. What is your oil pressure hot at idle and what idle rpm? If I go up 100 rpm my pressure will double.
All BMW M series car are fed 10-60 are they built to a loose tolerance? I don't think so. Ford wants 10-50 in the Coyote. How was your crank bearings set last time rebuild? Did they use 2 different sizes on each crank throw? I don't think so.
Some engines I have made close and high pressure and some have been 10 psi at 600 rpm at idle with 40w. with small bleeders on the roller fingers with stock squirters on the chain tensioners running a 13mm Hurricane oil pump, but it will still hits 100 psi on every start upper 5 minuets.
The base stocks are not all that different you can only start with the few that are available, the difference comes from the additive package and how much you want to pay for the job it is to do. Do you run racing oil? Why not? It is good but you do not need the antifoaming agents on the street. Is your car stock? Not many on this web site are, are you straight line or running in circles? Dinosaur oil changed every 1000 miles will be better than AMSoil at unlimited mileage and 1 year duration because no matter what you use it still gets dirty and full of acids after a year even if the test results come back clear.
My friend flies the number one acrobatic plane in the world, it runs on dyno oil changed every 8 hours and comes without an oil filter to make sure you change it every 8 hours. The engine is rated to 11g's in all directions...thats a crazy built engine.

Mine is set to idle at 850 rpm and like you said at anything over 1000 its 40-50 psi. How should you go about picking the right weight oil?

OLD H2S

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
With hot oil the WWW says 10 psi for every 1000rpm.
How was it built? Who knows the truth? Did they really use 2 different size bearings on each connecting rod and plasigauge the main bearings. I don't, after machining I do measure measure measure and pick what I want where with the clearance I pick. The builders on Engine Challenge say they build as loose as possible to last at max rpm. I Know too much pressure is eating power and seen wear on the crank nose from too much pressure. I have blown a motor with 0-20 as break in oil by pushing too hard in the first 20 miles with close rod bearings. I like 20-25 psi hot at idle and adjust the oil to give me that and have gone as high as Liqui Moly 10-60 to get it. But I am a fool and my stories are meant to be a warning but I am on build number 13 for this car so I do tear downs just to have a look see and think about the next build.

TTSaleen

Reaction score
I've run 10W-30 Valvoline in my vehicles for many years without issue.
Example - My 1998 Ford F150 with the 4.6 2 valve engine has 393,000 miles on it and is all original. Runs great and my daily driver.
The secret is 4,000 mile oil changes and Ford Motorcraft FL820 filters.
When I find Mobil 1 full synthetic on sale, I will switch the cars onto it in the same weight of 10W-30.
But my Mach1, Cobra, TTSaleen, 1998 F150, and 2008 F150 all run the same 10W-30 oil and are fine.
So I would say that I like both Valvoline and Mobil 1.

joe65

Reaction score
something i heard last week while watching a tear down of a 4.6 was that synthetic oil can sludge. i didn't think it could, but it was described more like a crystallizing. Something about short trips with a car running synthetic and not getting the oil up to temp. I had not heard something like that before. any one with experience on that?

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
I remember I was running 60 waight Valvoline racing formula in my 92 mustang with 460 interceptor
That shit was like mud but after a few races waterd down oil
Good oil actually

joe65

Reaction score
I'm running the new Pennzoil synthetic made from natural gas. I dunno, seems ok, like most oil it seems to work. I was considering using 5w40 Rotella T6 synthetic. I ran it in my Turbo Diesel VW and my Audis.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I'm running the new Pennzoil synthetic made from natural gas. I dunno, seems ok, like most oil it seems to work. I was considering using 5w40 Rotella T6 synthetic. I ran it in my Turbo Diesel VW and my Audis.
"cause crude oil is crude" I have to laugh a little every time I hear that commercial. I mean yea it is, till its refined and needless to say that the natural gas also needs a little refining before we put it in our motor so the argument is kinda silly imo.

MyLittlePony

Reaction score
"cause crude oil is crude" I have to laugh a little every time I hear that commercial. I mean yea it is, till its refined and needless to say that the natural gas also needs a little refining before we put it in our motor so the argument is kinda silly imo.

natural gas is a joke. People want alternate fuels... ...unless it means fracking anywhere in their town. Can’t even imagine what kind of shit storm hydrogen fuel would cause. If it’s such an environmental disaster, why do it in the first place? So far, the best I’ve found is EVs charged via solar power. ...but even then, there’s the argument of harvesting materials for batteries and other such stuff.

OP
OP
Werecow

Werecow

Reaction score
yeah its crude but so is my 200000 mile car.

putting $12 /qt oil in a car i paid less than $1200 for don't make sense.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

That's sorta like when I went to get insurance for the first time in my own.. so I'm like 19, I paid $200 for my '79 Zeypher and they wanted me to pay $117 a month for basic (what I had to have)??? I was like c'mon have you seen this car??!!?

MyLittlePony

Reaction score
That's sorta like when I went to get insurance for the first time in my own.. so I'm like 19, I paid $200 for my '79 Zeypher and they wanted me to pay $117 a month for basic (what I had to have)??? I was like c'mon have you seen this car??!!?

I would like comprehensive coverage on my 94. Honestly, I want collector car insurance because if someone hits me and is 100% at fault, I get a check for $1000, and they haul away my car, if I don’t buy it back with a salvage title. Even if I had $2000, I could not find another in that condition! But comprehensive, on a car that’s valued $1000? The idea is that the money you save by not paying for extra coverage could be used to restore the car should something tragic happen.

Collector car insurance would agree that the car is NOT worth a $1,000, and would offer coverage based on an agreed value. But I can’t find a company that would actually carry the car because they consider it a daily driver even though I barely put 2000 miles a year on it. Can’t daily drive a collector car.

Silver95bird

Reaction score
and thats why antique/classic tags are a scam waiting to happen. you're not allowed unlimited mileage or anytime driving, and you can't change your mind and get your regular platesback afterwards.

MyLittlePony

Reaction score
and thats why antique/classic tags are a scam waiting to happen. you're not allowed unlimited mileage or anytime driving, and you can't change your mind and get your regular platesback afterwards.

Plates are a different story and vary from state to state. In Texas, for example, you can register a car that qualifies as an antique and don’t ever have to worry about getting an inspection every single stupid year. But you also aren’t allowed to drive it anywhere. Just parades, shows, and to a service shop. People argue that the police never harass you about it, and if they did, you’re just picking up parts, (thus getting work done on it). But I argue that they WILL harass you if they start seeing it often, because traffic violations are the biggest laws that are broken in my town, and pulling me over not only gives them the chance to check out the sweet ride, but also to inspect the driver more closely for other violations. I should be lucky the crime rate is like this, but whatever.

But register it as a classic car, no restrictions but you have to get the car inspected every single stupid year, or risk losing your plates. I have 1967 year of manufacture plates on my Triumph GT6. The law might’ve changed, (not 100% sure), but at one point they were going to get rid of the YOM option for classics and only allow it for antiques. That means that if I want a 1967 plate, I could not daily drive my classic, because it would be an antique. I had to go through great lengths to get my plate grandfathered in because the law was about to go into effect, and I could not register it if the car had never been inspected in Texas before (it might’ve, but they aren’t going to have 1960s-70s records.) Seems like every year I am frantically racing getting the car passable, rather than actually driving it. Working on it means I can’t get it inspected. And by the time I get it to pass, it’s triple digits outside. I lucked out this year due to COVID. The governor let everyone lapse if they needed without any penalties. Cops can’t/shouldn’t even pull you over for expired tags. But the plate is also 5 digits, so if they turned around and started allowing classics to get YOM plates again, they can’t give my number away to a modern vehicle as they need at least 7 digits now.

My mustang also has a 5 digit plate, and qualifies to be a classic car, but I can’t register my plates as “classic” because they are personalized. $40 fee instead of $15. They are YOM, but they want to keep getting as much money from me as possible.

Silver95bird

Reaction score
Plates are a different story and vary from state to state. In Texas, for example, you can register a car that qualifies as an antique and don’t ever have to worry about getting an inspection every single stupid year. But you also aren’t allowed to drive it anywhere. Just parades, shows, and to a service shop. People argue that the police never harass you about it, and if they did, you’re just picking up parts, (thus getting work done on it). But I argue that they WILL harass you if they start seeing it often, because traffic violations are the biggest laws that are broken in my town, and pulling me over not only gives them the chance to check out the sweet ride, but also to inspect the driver more closely for other violations. I should be lucky the crime rate is like this, but whatever.

But register it as a classic car, no restrictions but you have to get the car inspected every single stupid year, or risk losing your plates. I have 1967 year of manufacture plates on my Triumph GT6. The law might’ve changed, (not 100% sure), but at one point they were going to get rid of the YOM option for classics and only allow it for antiques. That means that if I want a 1967 plate, I could not daily drive my classic, because it would be an antique. I had to go through great lengths to get my plate grandfathered in because the law was about to go into effect, and I could not register it if the car had never been inspected in Texas before (it might’ve, but they aren’t going to have 1960s-70s records.) Seems like every year I am frantically racing getting the car passable, rather than actually driving it. Working on it means I can’t get it inspected. And by the time I get it to pass, it’s triple digits outside. I lucked out this year due to COVID. The governor let everyone lapse if they needed without any penalties. Cops can’t/shouldn’t even pull you over for expired tags. But the plate is also 5 digits, so if they turned around and started allowing classics to get YOM plates again, they can’t give my number away to a modern vehicle as they need at least 7 digits now.

My mustang also has a 5 digit plate, and qualifies to be a classic car, but I can’t register my plates as “classic” because they are personalized. $40 fee instead of $15. They are YOM, but they want to keep getting as much money from me as possible.
i think we are closer on this than it reads.
in Pa there are mileage restrictions and to/from restrictions. but just remember once they put the specialty plates on, they can change the restrictions to 2000,1500,1000 or less miles per year, and you can't unregister an antique and re register the vin as a regular DD car. once you opt in, you're captured.

its a viewpoint thing
yes I'll pay more for inspections and registrations, but its none of some bureaucrat's business if my car is driven to work, a show, or purple people eater convention.

i paid for my cars, ill drive them as i please, not how some tree hugger demands this week.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I have grundy's collector car insurance on my car. Its an agreed upon value and my rates are based off of that value as well as the number of miles I want to put on it(I think I said 5-6k/year but I know I will not do that much). Rates are fair I thought for everything thats considered but there wasn't a special license plate or tags needed.

MyLittlePony

Reaction score
I have grundy's collector car insurance on my car. Its an agreed upon value and my rates are based off of that value as well as the number of miles I want to put on it(I think I said 5-6k/year but I know I will not do that much). Rates are fair I thought for everything thats considered but there wasn't a special license plate or tags needed.

you aren’t forced to have a separate daily driver? With Hagerty and a bunch others, you have to have at least one regular daily driver per licensed family member. We have 7 cars, but really, one modern daily driver, and my mustang, which was once daily, but for years has been more of a fun run around. I have years of recorded mileage to back that claim up. In 8 years though, we will need 3 daily drivers. Can’t have the kid driving one of her parents cars. I think the fear is 5 classics, 2 dailies... ...what’s stopping us from letting our daughter drive a dangerous, no abs, no traction control, no air bag, manual jalopy?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
you aren’t forced to have a separate daily driver? With Hagerty and a bunch others, you have to have at least one regular daily driver per licensed family member. We have 7 cars, but really, one modern daily driver, and my mustang, which was once daily, but for years has been more of a fun run around. I have years of recorded mileage to back that claim up. In 8 years though, we will need 3 daily drivers. Can’t have the kid driving one of her parents cars. I think the fear is 5 classics, 2 dailies... ...what’s stopping us from letting our daughter drive a dangerous, no abs, no traction control, no air bag, manual jalopy?
I only have on policy with them. I think they asked if it was going to be a DD and I didn't lie by saying no it would not be but I never gave any proof of any other vehicle that I can think of.

MyLittlePony

Reaction score
I only have on policy with them. I think they asked if it was going to be a DD and I didn't lie by saying no it would not be but I never gave any proof of any other vehicle that I can think of.

I wonder what would they consider a daily. Before COVID, I would pick my daughter up from school every day in it that wasn’t raining or freezing. So, one mile a day. I mean, had I done it literally every single day including weekends and holidays, that’s only 365 miles. That’s why I only put like 2000 a year on it. I could technical daily drive it and be way under what their regular insured “classic cars” do. I mean, I don’t even take it to shows any more.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I wonder what would they consider a daily. Before COVID, I would pick my daughter up from school every day in it that wasn’t raining or freezing. So, one mile a day. I mean, had I done it literally every single day including weekends and holidays, that’s only 365 miles. That’s why I only put like 2000 a year on it. I could technical daily drive it and be way under what their regular insured “classic cars” do. I mean, I don’t even take it to shows any more.
I know after having them for a year they have never checked the milage or asked about it. I would not be surprised if they did if there were a accident or claim but so far they have not.

Boostr1

Reaction score

That's who I use, but my car is under their Hot Rod policy. I think I have something like 3k-5k miles per year, and needs to be garage kept at owners home address. I had to send them pictures of the car and the garage it's in. I just have regular plates and do NJ mandated inspection every two years. I can drive where I want and whenever I want as long as it's kept in the garage and under the yearly allowed mileage.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
5pointSL0

Members online