My 351w Swapped 1995 Mustang GT

OP
OP
Chris Stephens

Chris Stephens

Reaction score
A little late to the show here, but is that GT your Dad's car? Dang, sweet car.

It is. We just got it Saturday after months of waiting. Our car is 1/1 ever delivered on a Leap Year Day...that makes it worth more right? :rolleyes:

Back in October, while we were at the SVRA races at COTA, they contacted him and told us that if we picked a standard color, we'd have it early in the year. If we picked a non-standard color, it was a $30k upgrade AND we didn't get it till the end of the year. So we all argued about the color the entire trip and finally agreed on that red.

Two stripes up the middle were an extra $12k. We thought we'd be a little disappointed with it being stripeless, but after we got the car loaded and went to lunch, my brother pointed out that none of us had even given the stripes another thought. The car just looks so good, it really didn't matter to us.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
lol just when you thought you were at the age in your life when you were NOT going to ask dad for the keys to his car, enter the GT. Screwed that idea right up huh?

Would he let me borrow the keys? I mean I have not put a single mark on my car in the last 6 yrs.... I'll just take it around the block.

OP
OP
Chris Stephens

Chris Stephens

Reaction score
lol just when you thought you were at the age in your life when you were NOT going to ask dad for the keys to his car, enter the GT. Screwed that idea right up huh?

Would he let me borrow the keys? I mean I have not put a single mark on my car in the last 6 yrs.... I'll just take it around the block.

EXACTLY!

Your record is better than mine, that’s all I’m gonna say on it!

His wife said I couldn’t drive it on the street, insurance is only good for people 30+. But she said I can drive it on the track...which makes 0 sense. If I wreck it on the track or the street, what’s the difference? Either way, insurance is gonna give a big middle finger. I’m much less likely to wreck it driving (somewhat) sane on the streets than mashing on it at Hallett ‍♂️

OP
OP
Chris Stephens

Chris Stephens

Reaction score
Well, I finally got to drive the GT, though not at Hallett. Just down Riverfront in Tulsa. My dad was signed up to track the car on Day 2, but it rained him out. I still drove in the rain, but the car was acting up (per usual :rolleyes:). I didn't have full power, but really couldn't use it all anyway. The GT was definitely an experience! I am a pretty hefty guy, so I barely fit in it. I definitely couldn't have fit with a helmet on.

We definitely had the best paddock out there, though!

105893680_897365930767323_4252570291224163808_n.jpg 106170355_732767460872872_4772550018442421772_n.jpg 106099899_727547371353163_4194292706000435359_n.jpg 106053383_284356049596177_4663534928134367508_n.jpg 106529708_263191898434195_7610687179733812814_n.jpg

No ribbing about how dirty the car is, I got enough from my family.

You can see some videos of my runs here:
https://www.youtube.com/user/GimpyHSHS/

I definitely wasn't "fast" out there, but the Mustang did pretty good up until my last run on Day 1. The car was acting up. It felt like it was "breaking up". That was also the run where I gave my dad a ride, which stunk, because I wanted to give him a good scare.

I did, however, give my cousin, Mike, a decent ride. The thing he liked least was a very fair pass on an old Torino. He also didn't like my late/hard braking in general. I put on a new set of rotors, Raybestos ST47 pads, and fresh Wilwood 570 fluid. The brakes performed flawlessly, and were probably the best part of the car. If I'm just gonna get out there and baby them, then I wasted money on a good setup and I might as well just cruise around the track in 2nd gear going 30 MPH.

I was having a little overheat problem at AutoX the Sunday before the track day, nothing too major, but the engine got up to 227* after several back to back runs. That isn't much of a surprise considering you're hammering on the engine but going fairly slow and in second gear the entire time. But I wanted to eliminate that as an issue at the track if possible. So prior to the track day, I removed the condenser, as it had some flattened fins and certainly wasn't HELPING cooling. I also flushed (and got some nasty trash) out of the radiator. Then I installed an air dam to help direct some airflow up into the radiator:
104371224_850781822110487_6609453705919018252_n.jpg 83683189_606761603551990_7868550960291447800_n.jpg

Those things seemed to help a bit at the track. Temps never got over 220* with the heater on. On the cool down lap, they went down to below 200* before even bringing the car into the pits. I need to verify that the temp gauge on the Sniper is accurate anyway, since it's a common issue for it to read high.

I'm not sure where the loss of power came from. I sent the guy who does my tuning datalogs from the run with my dad on the Thursday night we were at the track. He modified the tune and sent it back. We put new spark plugs in on Friday morning at the track and uploaded the new tune. The car still felt pretty flat. Lurched and chugged in gear at anything below 3000 RPM. Even at 3000 RPM, it had no power, then around 4000 it would take off, then wouldn't rev over 5000. Not cool, car, not cool. I took some datalogs that I am planning to send back to the tuning guy tonight.

I started doing some diagnosing this weekend. Started off verifying the fuel pressure was still at 60 PSI. Looked good, at least with the car off and at idle. Then I wanted to rule out a worn distributor gear being the issue. If the gear were worn, it may cause timing at the engine to be different than what the Sniper is programmed to command. So I set the Sniper to "static timing" at 20* and put a timing light on the engine. Timing was dead on 20* and stayed there perfectly while revving the engine up and on decel. The better thing to do would probably be pull the distributor, BUT I think the static timing check is good enough to eliminate that for now. With how bad it was running, it would've had to be REALLY off, and it wasn't even off by a degree when I was checking.

So I pulled the valve covers next. I checked the rocker arm adjustment, and everything looked ok. I'll put a feeler gauge on the rockers in the near future (since it was about time to adjust them anyway), but none of them were loose enough to have caused the breaking up I was feeling on the track. No excessive play in the pushrods that would indicate a wiped cam lobe. No wear on the valve stems.

Compression was 120 on all cylinders, which is what it was last I checked 6 months ago (That compression seems low for an 11:1 engine, but I think dynamic compression is just a lot lower because of the cam size and the 41* of overlap. I also was only letting each cylinder "hit" three times with throttle closed, mainly because that's how I had done it last time and wanted a good comparison).

That's as far as I got for now. I will do a leak down test as soon as the tester comes in (my cousin didn't have one at the shop, and wanted one anyway, so he went ahead and ordered it). Then I'll reset the rockers to .020" lash.

I have just been checking fuel pressure at the bypass regulator. I am going to try to check it while driving next. The Sniper has 3 inlets for fuel and one return port. I am going to hook a gauge up to one of the other ports on the Sniper and stick it under the windshield wiper so I can watch actual fuel pressure at the Sniper while driving.

Anyone have anything else I ought to be checking? Advice is very much welcome and appreciated!

joe65

Reaction score
cool pictures! Sounds like a fun weekend to me. From a guy that just wings it and got used to tracking down boost leaks from a turbo motor, check all possible vacuum leak possibilities?

Werecow

Reaction score
I'm with @joe65 on that, possible vacuum leak? I've always used a vacuum guage in all my perfect rides. Aslo I'm thinking it sounds like you may be on the right track with the timing?? If the timing is getting out of wack it might be causing what you got going on. I did see that you locked it down to 20 deg but it could still be causing the issues if it's worn or not able to hold reliable timing at upper rpms?? Goofy thought also, could it possibly be your coil?? I'll probably catch shit over this cause I always mention it, but it's a possibility??

OP
OP
Chris Stephens

Chris Stephens

Reaction score
cool pictures! Sounds like a fun weekend to me. From a guy that just wings it and got used to tracking down boost leaks from a turbo motor, check all possible vacuum leak possibilities?

I'm with @joe65 on that, possible vacuum leak? I've always used a vacuum guage in all my perfect rides. Aslo I'm thinking it sounds like you may be on the right track with the timing?? If the timing is getting out of wack it might be causing what you got going on. I did see that you locked it down to 20 deg but it could still be causing the issues if it's worn or not able to hold reliable timing at upper rpms?? Goofy thought also, could it possibly be your coil?? I'll probably catch shit over this cause I always mention it, but it's a possibility??

That’s something I still have in the back of my mind, even though I did check hoses. Possibly a vacuum leak or intake leak. I don't have a vacuum gauge on this car, but the Holley Sniper tracks the MAP readings. According to the Sniper MAP sensor, I have about 5-7" of vacuum at idle (850-900 RPM). Jumps up when you start cruising.

The odd thing is, the AFR wasn’t leaned out at cruise like I would expect to see if the vacuum leak was there. And the problem stayed/got worse when I went foot to the floor. With foot to the floor, there isn’t/shouldn’t be any vacuum. The AFR would peg pretty rich at WOT (I actually thought the bog might be caused by the plugs getting fouled out, but they looked ok other than the cracked one).

There is a possibility of the coil not being able to keep up. I do have the Sniper CD box and the Sniper ignition coil. I could swap the old MSD Blaster coil on there and see if anything changes. It always worked fine, I just wanted the full Holley setup.

I guess I will go ahead and do leakdown test, just to eliminate any mechanical issues in the shortblock and heads.
Then reinstall rockers and set the lash.
Test drive it and run some more datalogs to send to the tuning guy.
If the problem persists, I'll pull the distributor and physically check the gear.

Thanks for the thoughts guys!

Werecow

Reaction score
I'm assuming since you locked down the timing that the springs and weights part of the dizzy were working ok before you locked it in.. yeh stupid question but I just thought of it..

OP
OP
Chris Stephens

Chris Stephens

Reaction score
The distributor is a Hyperspark from Holley. It's fully locked out and doesn't have any springs or weights. The Holley Sniper system actually controls the timing. A sensor in the distributor picks up the signal and sends the signal back to the Sniper. The Sniper then sends a perfectly...timed signal to the CD box, which then tells the coil to fire. Similar to an MSD box, except with the Sniper doing the controlling of the timing of the spark.

One of the features of the Sniper is "static timing". I can use the handheld to set the timing to any degree I want and it will hold that advance. I set to 20* and it stays there even when you rev it up.

When you set the timing up the first time, they give you a little plastic cap that gets you pretty close. Then you rotate the distributor by hand to get it really close. But then you can get it dead on by changing a setting called "inductive delay" in the Sniper to account for little variations in the coil, wire length/type, plugs, etc that tend to show themselves when the time between firing is very short (so when the engine is at higher RPM). Very neat way of doing it (to me at least, it's probably standard in the OEM world). I spent a half hour getting mine dead on. When the Sniper commands 20*, that's what the engine shows on the timing light at any RPM. Just more confidence so when I'm running 93 pump gas in the 11:1 engine (right at the edge), my commanded 34* is actually 34* and not actually 36*, where it starts detonating lol.

Werecow

Reaction score
Oh that sound super cool!! Hey I was just reading on something completely unrelated and just had a thought... It wouldn't be leaning out would it? Like maybe a fuel filter getting clogged at rpm when you're demanding moar fuel or something going on with the pump or injectors?? I'm sure the software should show your afr at high rpm under load.. Just trying to noodle it out...

OP
OP
Chris Stephens

Chris Stephens

Reaction score
I don't think so, it's actually showing to be a little too rich. The fuel filters are brand new, oversized Aeromotive ORB-10. Fuel Pump is questionable, as it's brand new. I guess I will find that out when I figure out a way to check fuel pressure while driving.

Werecow

Reaction score
Edit, never mind.. stupid question...

Last edited:
OP
OP
Chris Stephens

Chris Stephens

Reaction score
I figured the engine issue out! @Werecow you were on the right track.

Turns out it was the brand new AEM 50-1005 fuel pump. I installed it on Wednesday before we hit the track along with new filter elements. I also pulled the tank and inspected for rust or anything else that may have been clogging. Then pulled it onto the trailer. It had maybe two hours of run time on it when it started acting up. Never lost pressure at idle, even if I just turned the pump on and let it sit at 60 PSI while watching it. But trying to drive, it would act up and lose pressure apparently.

I took it for a drive Saturday and it was still acting up. Topped it off with gas, then got about a half hour away, and it started surging. The pump would get loud, go quiet, back and forth. AFR spiking lean, then normal, then back lean, etc. Pulled over, turned on only the pump, checked pressure at the regulator. 20 PSI at first, then it started jumping around, up to 40, back down to 20, etc. Let it sit for a few, then took off just trying to make it back to the shop. AFR still shooting around. Occasionally I would just have to shut the engine down and coast in neutral, wait a minute, then fire back up, get back up to speed, etc. Pump was hot to the touch.

So now I am trying to figure out how to keep a pump alive. The A1000 died and then an AEM a couple engine hours later. So I have an email in to each company to review my system and give me an idea of anything else that could be killing them. In the meantime, I have a new AEM pump on the way to at least make it through AutoX this weekend.

I also have some sway bar end links...I checked out the front end while I had the car in the air over the weekend, and the passenger side upper bushing was GONE. Not "in bad shape". Like, no longer present. The driver side was torn on the upper one and the lower bushing was halfway pressed into the hole in the control arm.

Also got the new tires mounted up and balanced. They felt pretty nice, but I'm sure half of that feeling was just a placebo. Unfortunately, I also noticed the end link before I drove, so I don't really know how good they feel yet. The AutoCross this weekend will be the real test.

On the plus side, for this event, I will have new Falken tires, new swaybar endlinks, freshly adjusted rocker lash, a fresh tune, a fresh fuel pump, and the full knowledge that something is still gonna break on me. Fun times.

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
How’d you run your fuel lines? I assume you have external because you said a1000 pump. Do you have a sump or are you using an in tank pickup? Regulated return?

Werecow

Reaction score
Well I'm glad that at least you've got the stumble at least narrowed down!! I'm going thru setting up the fuel system on my Cherry Bomb right now. Since I'm still running a carb it's gnna be a simple set-up tho.. I'm using a Carter P 90055 pump on the stock pickup it's only got about 13 psi, then a return style regulator to drop the pressure down to about 6 and to keep the pump happy. Hopefully this will work with the factory fuel lines (they were already cut in the engine bay) and the factory wiring.. Anyhoooooo I'm glad that you've found out what was going on with yours and it sounds like you're gnna have it ready for the weekend for sure!! Just reread your post... If you've gone thru 2 pumps and they're both doing the same thing, could it possibly be the pressure regulator going out, or a relay to the pump?? Not sure how it's wired bit I'm thinking that with yours it has to go thru a relay to kick it on and off and if the relay is going out.. idk just spitballing here...

Last edited:
OP
OP
Chris Stephens

Chris Stephens

Reaction score
How’d you run your fuel lines? I assume you have external because you said a1000 pump. Do you have a sump or are you using an in tank pickup? Regulated return?

what size wire are you running to the pump?

Tank is baffled and sumped at the bottom, rear. Pump is mounted on the rear bumper bar. Both Aeromotive filter elements were replaced the same time as the new AEM pump was installed. Pump is supplied with power directly off the battery, 40A rated relay, 30A fuse, 12 gauge wire with the relay triggered by a toggle switch in the dash. Fuse is not blowing.

Plumbing:
  • 10AN line from the tank's sump to an Aeromotive ORB-10 filter.
  • ORB-10 filter attached to AEM pump inlet with reducer.
  • Pump has check valve installed, then adapted to the ORB-10 post-pump filter.
  • ORB-10 reduced to 8AN, 8AN line forward to the front passenger side wheelwell.
  • 6AN line from wheelwell to Aeromotive 13129 bypass regulator. Fuel pressure gauge installed in the regulator, which is set to 60 PSI.
  • 6AN line from regulator to Holley Sniper EFI system.
  • Large 5/8" return line from regulator back to tank (needed a large return line when I was running the A1000 with a carb for a while).
Fuel System Routing.png

Well I'm glad that at least you've got the stumble at least narrowed down!! I'm going thru setting up the fuel system on my Cherry Bomb right now. Since I'm still running a carb it's gnna be a simple set-up tho.. I'm using a Carter P 90055 pump on the stock pickup it's only got about 13 psi, then a return style regulator to drop the pressure down to about 6 and to keep the pump happy. Hopefully this will work with the factory fuel lines (they were already cut in the engine bay) and the factory wiring.. Anyhoooooo I'm glad that you've found out what was going on with yours and it sounds like you're gnna have it ready for the weekend for sure!! Just reread your post... If you've gone thru 2 pumps and they're both doing the same thing, could it possibly be the pressure regulator going out, or a relay to the pump?? Not sure how it's wired bit I'm thinking that with yours it has to go thru a relay to kick it on and off and if the relay is going out.. idk just spitballing here...

Both those things crossed my mind. The old A1000 did this months ago when I drove about an hour to visit my dad. The same type of failure as this time. I drove an hour, parked for a half hour, drove around some mountain and back roads for about 2 hours, then it died. I started it up again after 5 minutes, made it a little further, and it died again. Did it twice more before I got to a gas station. Topped it off from half a tank to full and it stopped. About 3 hours later, I drove home an hour and it did fine.

The catch for an electrical issue is that the pumps only seem to have major issues after a long time running and the first time it ever acted up was with a different relay and power wires. I changed to the new relay and bigger 12 gauge wires a couple months ago. My cousin and I discussed that and decided I will go ahead and swap the relay just to eliminate that as an issue.

I lean away from the regulator because I figure it would happen while cold or hot if it were the regulator. I can have the car idling for 15 minutes and never see the pressure gauge even twitch off of 60 PSI. Only seems to act up when driving.

I guess it would be worth a shot. It's a fairly expensive Aeromotive 13129 reg, so maybe they would replace it if I keep having issues. Just doesn't seem like it. Then again, it didn't seem like a fuel system problem either lol.

OP
OP
Chris Stephens

Chris Stephens

Reaction score
Did another AutoX last weekend. Car is doing great with the new fuel pump, other than I can't run the car anywhere near half tank or it sucks air. My cousin, Mike's, fastest runs would've been even faster if the fuel pump hadn't made the engine cut briefly after two different spots in the course.

Here's some videos of our runs:
Mike's AutoX runs
My AutoX runs

There's no sound because I accidentally muted my knockoff GoPro.

I did order some more aggressive Raybestos ST43 rear pads, since the rears need replacing anyway. They are the usual go-to for guys running the ST47s up front.

My cousin doesn’t think they will help. He loves the braking the way it is now and thinks changing it is a bad move. He’s usually right, and probably still is, but I’m pretty stubborn and want to try it since I need new pads anyway. The car is nose-diving soooo much, I just keep thinking it would be nice to get the rear tires to help with the braking load. I might try it and change my mind though. If so, I’ll just put some el cheapo pads back on the back and save these for open track days.

That’s the only change I am making right at this moment. I need to fix a front crank seal leak, valve cover leak, and do a swap on my alternator. It’s under warranty, but isn’t putting out full voltage since I killed the battery.

I should have some funds freed up with some strict budgeting and ramen noodle lunches by mid to late September. That should allow me an upgrade from my no-longer-adjustable Tokicos to some MM RACE-2 or Koni DAs. Our next event isn’t until the last week in September, so there’s a chance I can do some of this before then. But I dunno yet.

Current “first-round” upgrade plans are:

-MM Torque Arm

-MM Panhard Bar (my cousin wants me to go Watts Link…but there are a lot of fast guys with PHB, too, I’m learning. I dunno yet. The PHB is half the price of the Watts, but I also don’t want to do it again down the line.)

-MM TA Springs

-Stock lower control arms on the rear (MM doesn’t like the urethane Steeda ones I currently have installed. They say it causes binding.)

-MM Race-2 or Koni DA Shocks/Struts (Any preference? Long term plan is to go front coilovers from MM. The MM versions are non-adjustable, but designed to work with their coilovers in a specific spring rate range. I’m looking at 425 front rate COs and the TA Springs. I like the idea of having a lot of adjustment, but I also know me...I'll most likely set it and not mess with them like I should.)

-MM Caster/Camber plates

-Fabricating/Modifying a front strut tower brace and lower K member brace. If I have the funds, I am also thinking of skipping straight to the MM K-Member, moving the engine back 1" and the wheels forward a total of 1.5". One of the "problems" my cousin and I have talked about is the roll center on the front. With the current springs, the control arms are aimed up. Steeda makes some X2 balljoints to help fix that, but MM has a higher control arm mounting location that would do the same thing. But that also requires me to go all the way on my coilover plans, so it'll really depend on the all-important $$$.

-Canton oil pan setup

If we go ahead and pull the engine, I also need to run gauge lines through the firewall. Oil pressure, water temp, voltage, etc. And remove some of the old wiring/clean up my wiring on my Holley Sniper.

-----------------------------------------------------------

In other news, I rode in a guys car that had the full MM package last Saturday (which was a tighter, slower course) and…WOW! He went into one hard turn and I puckered and thought, "He can't make that, he can't make that..." and bam, he took it like it was nothing. I'm feeling more sure about that setup now. He was much more skilled than me, of course, but the MM and 315s helped him take 7th place overall and in PAX on Sunday's fast course on a stock engine 2004 Mach 1. He beat out a lot of cars that seemed like they would have “more” in them. Heck, we had 100hp on him, and he beat Mike by a second and a half.

-----------------------------------------------------------
In other news, my dad is continuing to make me more and more jealous... He found a wrecked GT out of Arizona. Needs a lot of cosmetic work, but my cousin and I did some work to it this weekend, and it should be drivable, at least.
117898786_290036495624443_1866594729008072804_n.jpg 117955931_365822548149936_7873443653300952852_n.jpg

Attachments

• 117990584_293399601947852_6306745034297178637_n.jpg
    117990584_293399601947852_6306745034297178637_n.jpg
    210.2 KB · Views: 9
  • 118047448_303008124358379_6099480538088991033_n.jpg
    118047448_303008124358379_6099480538088991033_n.jpg
    296.4 KB · Views: 9
  • 118051742_1036733833411759_4421329961032563106_n.jpg
    118051742_1036733833411759_4421329961032563106_n.jpg
    187.4 KB · Views: 9

Forum statistics

Threads