My 70 dollar Heat Extractor Hood

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
I'm not saying it doesn't help, but to make a big difference? I'm just not sold, our cars were not made to use air flow management to function properly. Can't block the flow to the radiator because that's obviously what cools the engine. Why did Ford put that hood on the Termy? Maybe so they didn't have a stock GT hood? They put a heat extractor hoods on the 99/01 Cobra and later on the V6s, I'm guessing just for style. Why did ford put side scoops in our cars that do nothing? I don't know, like i said I'm just not sold.

Replica R said my cowl hood should prevent as much air from flowing through my radiator, yet with aluminium heads and a KB my car runs cool as a cucumber even in the summer heat.

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
have you not been reading this thread? lol. To recap quickly, because it's forcing air in from the back thus preventing air from flowing smoothly through the radiator. He said it not me.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I find it interesting that cowl hoods have been used for years for this purpose but on our cars I guess not.....

rz5.0

Legend
Reaction score
I'm not saying it doesn't help, but to make a big difference? I'm just not sold, our cars were not made to use air flow management to function properly. Can't block the flow to the radiator because that's obviously what cools the engine. Why did Ford put that hood on the Termy? Maybe so they didn't have a stock GT hood? They put a heat extractor hoods on the 99/01 Cobra and later on the V6s, I'm guessing just for style. Why did ford put side scoops in our cars that do nothing? I don't know, like i said I'm just not sold.

Replica R said my cowl hood should prevent as much air from flowing through my radiator, yet with aluminium heads and a KB my car runs cool as a cucumber even in the summer heat.
The termy had a heat extractor. V6 never had a heat extractor. Cowl hood is only funtional for carb or if you need room under the hood.

massacre

Reaction score
The thing is I have located the vent in the best place for heat extraction. If I'd go any closer to the front, it would not be scooping any air out from the radiator. Any further than I have it, and the air would be getting all choppy, and you'd be getting close to the cowl, which would means that you're in the high pressure zone, so that scoop would actually suck the air in, rather than push it from under the hood.

Absolutely.
Terminator "heat extractor" hoods are similar, taking the hot air away from the front(intercooler/radiator/trans cooler/ P/S cooler/ A/C condenser), and getting it out of there ASAP.
Great job, looks great and I would be very interested in how it performs.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
after doing a couple of random searches, it seems that this site is one of the few that thinks a cowl hood would not help and could actually hurt cleaning. While the windshield and cowl are a slightly higher pressure area, they are still far less then the air being forced into the grill right? I am not sure how the air would be forced into the cowl with enough pressure to push air off of the radiator up front.

Do me a favor when you get a chance and we can put this puppy to rest. Tape a small piece of paper to the cowl and take a short drive and see if it gets pulled into the cowl. or if it just blows right past it. My bet is that the windshield is a high point of pressure but I am willing to bet that the cowl creates a small low pressure area that would help to suck hot air out and then over the top of the car.

Again not trying to be difficult but trying to learn/understand. LIke I said after a quick search I didn't find similar info elsewhere but then again the net is not always right and why I want someone with a cowl hood to try the paper trick to see what happens.

massacre

Reaction score
our cars were not made to use air flow management to function properly.

O RLY?
Do you really believe this ^^^^ nonsense?

This statement and a couple others did it for me.

You guys just aren't fucking getting it.

Cowl induction was invented for carburetor use.

It was made to suck air in at the base of the windshield AT HIGH SPEEDS to force air back into the engine bay through the scoop to feed the carbs.

Why then does everyone not understand that the same design sucks air back into the engine bay AT HIGH SPEEDS on a fuel injected car, when it is not needed?

Modern cowl hoods are designed to clear tall intakes, blowers, etc. Other than clearance for performance parts(or looks for the ricer crowd), the modern cowl hood isn't even designed to do the same thing as the original cowl-induction design.

For NON HIGH-SPEED use, there's nothing wrong with a little rear vent in the hood of an N/A car.

But, by removing the heat from the source of a boosted car before it even gets to the motor, after passing through all of the different fluid/air coolers in the front of the car, it is more efficient and the rear vents aren't so necessary....at least that is the theory.........

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
ttocs I guess because cowl induction was made for carb setups and on our cars there's no need to input air in that location.

I'm just arguing for fun at this point so I might as well continue. Besides air flow through the front grill our cars don't use air for anything. Fake side scoops, fake hood scoops, spoiler, etc.

This sure looks like a heat extractor to me, they came on the V6s after the '01 Cobra:

4233611_1.jpg

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I am not arguing, debating and learning hopefully.

What cars was it that had the cowl piece that would raise up as you floored the car to get more air? Can't remember what muscle car it was....

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
none of them do no the new edge cars but on the 94-95 the vents do go through. I had to remove my hood blanket to fit my intake with the spacer and after I did that I have seen days where you can see the heat waves comming out of the hood when idleing. When I get a chance I am going to see if they suck or blow at speed but my guess is that with the smaller holes not facing direct pressure that at speed they will suck air out of the engine bay.

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
The Camero's, Chevelle's, ElCamino's had cowl induction hoods.
The Mopar's front facing shaker scoops were also vacuum operated.

OP
OP
R

ReplicaR

Reaction score
You know what you guys should do? You should talk to Paul Brown at Tiger Racing. He builds all kinds of composites for road race mustangs, including the Ford Racing Boss 302S program. Check out his inventory, and think about it for a second, why is he not pushing any Cowl Induction Hoods onto his customers. Also, check out any of the race cars that race in Le Mans, ALMS, Continental Challenge, or any other type of organized racing. See if you can spot what kind of hoods they are running. Here is a hint, they are not cowl induction hoods. If you want to know even more, you should probably check out a credible source of info, such as Corner-Carvers.com, they have a great tech section, and an awesome thread about all that is heat extractor hood. As a matter of fact, I'll save you time of searching.

http://www.corner-carvers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9385&highlight=heat+extractor

Here it is, 19 pages worth of heat extractor hood discussion.

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
that pic you posted you know the vent does not go all the way thru.

Even on the 2000 Cobra R the vents don't go all the way through. the 2000 R has a heat extractor style hood but the vents are pretty close to the cowl, so maybe they just made the hood for style since if they opened the scoops air would have gone in instead of out???

Even if i was on Corner Carvers I would still need a cowl hood to clear my engine... I think it's Harwood maybe that makes a Saleen style heat extractor with a large cowl? That hood looks pretty badass.

ReplicaR no need to take offense or anything man. I'm not saying Mr. Brown doesn't know what he's doing, but also keep in mind there's pretty much nobody on this site that professionally road races their car. My hood came with a cutout in the back of it right off a '95 R, all I did was paint it and put it on. no big deal mang.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I am also not aware of any aerodynamic experts which is why I take everythin on here with a grain of salt. I am going to test the stock hood to see if the vents suck air out or blow in when I get a chance just from curiosity.

OP
OP
R

ReplicaR

Reaction score
Part of the reason why the 2000 R hood works, is because at that point where the louvers are located, it's fairly low pressure. You have to remember, the high pressure zone begins at the base of the cowl, not half a foot before it. You have also have louvers which generate high and low pressure required to draw the air out from underneath the hood. Cowl induction hood on the other hand has a vent that's located right at the base of the windshield, which is in the high pressure zone, which is why it would pull the air in unlike the 2000 R hood.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDTag

Members online