My 70 dollar Heat Extractor Hood

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
NASCAR has their intakes at the base of the windshield. Soo there must be something to it.

OP
OP
R

ReplicaR

Reaction score
I think that mostly has to do with how far the engine is shifted backwards to achieve ideal weight distribution. I'm not 100% sure on how those engines actually get their air.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
nascar is also all carburated and not using the vents at the base of the windshield so much for heat extraction as they are to pull cold air into the carb. using a cowl to draw in cool air into a carb and using vents on the front of your hood for heat extraction is totally different, its comparing apples to oranges.

framda

Reaction score
I can't believe how many prissy comments there are about how it looks. It is a RACE CAR! It is not intended to scare 17 yr old boys that took a hacksaw to there mother's Acura and put an ANSA tip on it. If it works it works. Save looking good for the Mc Donalds parking lot on Friday night.

OP
OP
R

ReplicaR

Reaction score
I did actually. It does help, but not as much as I was hoping. One major downside as I've explained before is that most of the vent is actually blocked up upper radiator hose and overflow bottle. A couple of ways around this would be a solid radiator hose that goes all around the vent, move the overflow bottle somewhere else, and get a larger fan (Mark VIII). Ultimately, I think I'm going to get a tiger racing hood. That thing will offer serious heat extraction.

LilRoush

Reaction score
So I'm chiming in on an older thread but a couple of things to address from my background with aerodynamics to help shed some light here.

1st - The 99/01 Cobra hood that ended up on the 03/04 V6s is not functional at all. The 'vent' isn't open. It's just like a backwards version of the 'scoop' on the V6/GT from 99-04.

2nd/3rd (two points tied togethe) - Old school cowls (and NASCAR) work with carb'd set ups. The vent at the base of the windshield sucks air in - giving cooler fresh air to the top of the motor. Also, having the carb up top creates vacuum at the top of the engine bay, which the newer cars don't have. If you want an example of this on a fuel injected Mutang, look at the Stage 3 Roush from 1995 for the 5.0L. Relocated air inlet/filter at the top of the motor toward the rear - and a matching hood with cowl vent at the back which created that sweet spot for suction. Nice outside air pulled right in.

They Y2K R hoods with vent on the top that are open work very well for heat extraction due to the nature of the air flowing over that point of the hood. It would have been more function to locate them further forward and wider - like the Terminator. The Y2K R hood also takes into account over all airflow coming off the hood and transitioning it to the windshield. It's working in harmony with the splitter and rear wing they are also equipped with.

The reverse vents (like made) help suck the hot air out after it passes the radiator. They work very well. If you try to force air in the top of the engine bay of the newer Mustangs you aren't doing anything of use. You are forcing air backwards from how it's naturally flowing, and creating pressure where you don't want it. Granted, it isn't enough the typical street car will ever see, but on the track - you'll know it.

You want hot air out as soon as it passes your cooling contact point (radiator). You also want it out over the top. Having disturbed air (or any extra air) under the car will also cost you on the track.

94 DropTop

Reaction score
Not much of a "test" but I run 190-195 cruising at 3200 rpms on the highway for 2.5hrs. So I say it works. It was cool out but not cold. At highways speeds at the high rpm my car has never seen over 205 and thats when its hot.

justinschmidt1

Post Whore
Reaction score
I like the new one you made better, first one looked bad IMO but sine its a race car, fuck it!

AnthonyF

Reaction score
Well after reading quite a few pages of information and mostly dribble from other members, that is a fantastic idea!

ReplicaR: That looks absolutely sick and completely functional. I would have placed it a little further down, but hey, its doing its job none-the-less. I might have to find me a stock v6/gt hood. My cobra hood is kinda tacky and stupid.

jedpony

Reaction score
im digging it. i have the cervinis ram air hood on my 95, it seems to be getting hot still. Any ideas to cool it down? ive heard of people getting ride of the ram air and just venting it to the engine to cool down.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDTag

Members online