My new CUSTOM BUILT rear shock tower brace.

Wild Horses

Reaction score
Been eyeing these on a certain website and couldn't see spending that kind of money on something so simple to fab up. Made this thing and painted it within 2 hours. Looks pretty much like the one on the website just not polished. Only weighs a couple pounds as well.

Went out and took some hard turns and idk if I can tell a difference or not. Kinda feels like the car launches a little stiffer.

Whatcha think? Almost looks like I know what I'm doing. Almost.

image_zps5abb3568.jpg

image_zps97d7b66e.jpg

ElrodKTPQ_89

Legend
Reaction score
Looks good! What is it mounted to? The top bolt where the shocks mount? I've never really looked in the trunk of my car much beyond changing the shocks once.

OP
OP
Wild Horses

Wild Horses

Reaction score
Looks good! What is it mounted to? The top bolt where the shocks mount? I've never really looked in the trunk of my car much beyond changing the shocks once.

Yea it's just a single hole through the bottom of the L brackets and the rubber bushings are on top, then washer & nut.

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Neat.

Build me one so I can mount my fire extinguisher to it!

OP
OP
Wild Horses

Wild Horses

Reaction score
Haha. Maybe if there's enough interest I can make a run of them. Let's say at least 5 people want one. I'll make 5 at a time and cut a deal for those who are in on the run... Lol No?

1997GT4.6

Reaction score
I've had this idea for awhile, just lazy lol. I can fab this up from cutting to welding to painting it in no time as well. But eh haha.

OP
OP
Wild Horses

Wild Horses

Reaction score
I've had this idea for awhile, just lazy lol. I can fab this up from cutting to welding to painting it in no time as well. But eh haha.

Lmao. You have no idea how long I had been putting this off. Ha

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I am confused as to how much they could help. I could understand if it was all the way at the top of the strut tower but just a few inches above the floor, isn't that already a strong place? Please understand I am not tryin to piss on anyones parade just an honest question.

OP
OP
Wild Horses

Wild Horses

Reaction score
I have one made by Kenny Brown. Can't say I noticed a difference with it.

This was how I first thought of doing mine since it's directly bolted to the towers. I love that Kenny Brown stuff. Just wish I could afford it right now. Had a bunch of his stuff on my fox.

OP
OP
Wild Horses

Wild Horses

Reaction score
I am confused as to how much they could help. I could understand if it was all the way at the top of the strut tower but just a few inches above the floor, isn't that already a strong place? Please understand I am not tryin to piss on anyones parade just an honest question.

Maybe someone else can explain it better... But I want to say it creates an extension of the frame connecting the rails at the top, therefore making the two sides a little more parallel and rigid for hard cornering.

They probably do nothing though. Lol. I like to think they do. Sub frame connectors are where it's at. Big differences are felt with those.

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I'll tell you one thing, for vert owners it will be great. Structural integrity is at about -5 in my car.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
well like I said if they connected at the top of the shock tower then I could understand it then but all of those pics looks like they are connecting to the side of shock tower just a few inches above the floor. I had thought about making my own both front and rear and in the ear I was going to make it mount down to the top(instead of the side) and maybe try to have a portion attach to the rear package tray to try and further strengthen it.

OP
OP
Wild Horses

Wild Horses

Reaction score
well like I said if they connected at the top of the shock tower then I could understand it then but all of those pics looks like they are connecting to the side of shock tower just a few inches above the floor. I had thought about making my own both front and rear and in the ear I was going to make it mount down to the top(instead of the side) and maybe try to have a portion attach to the rear package tray to try and further strengthen it.

Mine is bolted directly to the top of the towers using the nut from the shock to hold it down. It sits right on top of them. Check out the first 4 pics. But no matter how it connects those two sides it stiffens it up a little. I've seen guys weld them in. That's if you were eventually going to put a roll cage in it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
senior001

Members online