My "re" build thread - Trick flow/turbo build

OP
OP
97stanger

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
Has anybody had good luck with any particular battery? I’m done using Optima, they suck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
well yea I have been saying for the last 10 years optima sucks. They use to be top notch and I know this because I worked for a place that sells then and we would get maybe one battery back a year that was bad. After they sold out, they started using cheap lead and chemicals and suddenly it was normal to get at least one back per month. They will still replace them because they are making a killing on them and because of that someone will speak up shortly about how great they are because they have replaced their last 2-3 batteries after they died in the warranty period, a great battery does not get replaced.

If you are going agm check out odyssey. I am pretty sure I know you moved the battery back already but if you have not(or someone else) its important to note that agm batteries do not like heat and should not go under the hood.

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
Funny that you say optima sucks, I’ve had fantastic luck with them.

Then we will get into the whole battle about optima changing hands and quality going downhill, but I still run them in all my cars.

I’ve heard good things about the odyssey (sp?) batteries but I haven’t had any direct experience with them.

OP
OP
97stanger

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
well yea I have been saying for the last 10 years optima sucks. They use to be top notch and I know this because I worked for a place that sells then and we would get maybe one battery back a year that was bad. After they sold out, they started using cheap lead and chemicals and suddenly it was normal to get at least one back per month. They will still replace them because they are making a killing on them and because of that someone will speak up shortly about how great they are because they have replaced their last 2-3 batteries after they died in the warranty period, a great battery does not get replaced.

If you are going agm check out odyssey. I am pretty sure I know you moved the battery back already but if you have not(or someone else) its important to note that agm batteries do not like heat and should not go under the hood.

I’m not surprised. I’ve been using optima red tops for about 10 years and on average I was buying/exchanging every 2 years I’d say. Yes I have battery in the trunk. I’ll look into odyssey, I’ve read good about Die Hard too

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I’m not surprised. I’ve been using optima red tops for about 10 years and on average I was buying/exchanging every 2 years I’d say. Yes I have battery in the trunk. I’ll look into odyssey, I’ve read good about Die Hard too

Die Hard was a great movie. Just saying.......

I went away from optima years ago. They use to be unbeatable but definitely changed with the new ownership. Yeah some people will still have good luck but the majority aren’t anymore. Kind of like MSD coils and distributors, some have luck but most end up stranded on the side of the road.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Its been a couple of years since I checked the numbers but I know the one I have cranks it over no problem. I am pretty sure its just the recommended stock replacement but I will try to run out and take a look to be sure.

AStangThang

Reaction score
Hey brother, sorry I'm li
Going to start a build thread for the new motor build. At this point, got the engine pulled and going to start disassembly. I have already sold my blower setup, intercooler, blow off valve, and crank pulley. The plan is to go Trick Flow head, turbo cam, and 76mm turbo setup. Most likely will convert to E85 as well. I'll have a ton of questions and ask for input, so I'll just post everything in here. Hoping to start disassembly shortly!

Old setup:

Blower being taken off:

Motor pulled:

Hoping to start getting this thing broken down shortly. First step will be to get shortblock to machine shop just to go over everything, and at a minimum I will most likely swap to stainless steel piston rings. In a perfect world, that will be the only thing I end up changing with the short block. Currently have a '97 romeo block .20 over, Cobra crank, Manley 18cc Platinum Series pistons, Manley H-beam rods, and ARP 2000 hardware. My goals for this build is 750+rwhp through the auto. Any input/suggestions are welcome and I'll keep this thread updated with progress and any questions throughout the build so I'm not clogging up space. Just an fyi, I'm starting to list stuff that I will not be using in turbo build in the for sale section. I'll also be selling my MMR Stage 3 PI heads, custom grind blower cams, and Crower high lift spring setup. Would like to keep fully assembled!
hey brother sorry I'm late, but I just came over from a different forum. I wanted to ask you how you liked your MMR heads? I'm getting ready to swap my built PI heads onto my car, but I've been looking at the 5.0 modular boss block for our 4.6's, and wanted to do a nice head. Since you've had both a "stage 3" head and the trick flows, which do you like better? Is your MMR heads still for sale. Pardon me if you have already sold them, and have answered this in a previous post. Thanks.

OP
OP
97stanger

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
Hey brother, sorry I'm li
hey brother sorry I'm late, but I just came over from a different forum. I wanted to ask you how you liked your MMR heads? I'm getting ready to swap my built PI heads onto my car, but I've been looking at the 5.0 modular boss block for our 4.6's, and wanted to do a nice head. Since you've had both a "stage 3" head and the trick flows, which do you like better? Is your MMR heads still for sale. Pardon me if you have already sold them, and have answered this in a previous post. Thanks.

Sorry man, sold the MMR heads a long time ago. As far as PI vs. TF...TF is superior in just about every aspect, but depending on your goals may be unnecessary. Guys have taken PI heads extremely far

AStangThang

Reaction score
Sorry man, sold the MMR heads a long time ago. As far as PI vs. TF...TF is superior in just about every aspect, but depending on your goals may be unnecessary. Guys have taken PI heads extremely far

Very true about taking them far. When I want to crank the rpm I might get the TF, but they will be on another block. I think the TF is a waste on the stock rotating assembly. I just got my heads back from my machinest. I'm running a N/A setup for now in my 97. I had my NPI rebuilt 40k miles ago, so it's getting my PI's on top, and should have around 10.5 to 10.7 CR. The PI's were basically still new with only 32k miles, but I had some things I wanted to do to them. I decked them .040, 3 angle VJ, intake valve face shaved .040, Viton seals, Manley Nextec springs, Ford lifters, factory locks, retainers, and followers. I did some mild porting. Intake side I took out the lifter bump and blended in the roof. Exhaust side had bowl work on the long side radius, and blended into the sides, with slight work around the guide boss. Exhaust runner was opend up .035. A high polish was performed on the exhaust side for build up only. Intake side I left rough. Every port was CC'ed with water, also extreme measurements were taken cause I'm anal lol. I've got just about every measurement tool there is for porting, and about $400 in specific aluminum carbide bits. Around 8 hours total time was spent. Cam #'s are 224/226 .555/.535, 111.5+1.5 LSA, 110/113 centerlines. I'm running a Bullitt intake, it will let me take advantage of the extra rpm the cams will make. Should peek around 6300-6400 RPM. I've done some work to the intake inside by easing the air flow path where everything mates together, there's some cliffs hanging out lol. It will be a stout little NA combo.
Man I want complemnt you on your car, it looks very nicely done I must say. I bet she will boogie on down the road. Plus i love that red on the car, mine is black. I was just reading some of the post and I came across yours and had to check it out. Keep us updated my friend. As soon as the weather breaks i will be starting my build thread. Keep it real brother.

OP
OP
97stanger

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
Very true about taking them far. When I want to crank the rpm I might get the TF, but they will be on another block. I think the TF is a waste on the stock rotating assembly. I just got my heads back from my machinest. I'm running a N/A setup for now in my 97. I had my NPI rebuilt 40k miles ago, so it's getting my PI's on top, and should have around 10.5 to 10.7 CR. The PI's were basically still new with only 32k miles, but I had some things I wanted to do to them. I decked them .040, 3 angle VJ, intake valve face shaved .040, Viton seals, Manley Nextec springs, Ford lifters, factory locks, retainers, and followers. I did some mild porting. Intake side I took out the lifter bump and blended in the roof. Exhaust side had bowl work on the long side radius, and blended into the sides, with slight work around the guide boss. Exhaust runner was opend up .035. A high polish was performed on the exhaust side for build up only. Intake side I left rough. Every port was CC'ed with water, also extreme measurements were taken cause I'm anal lol. I've got just about every measurement tool there is for porting, and about $400 in specific aluminum carbide bits. Around 8 hours total time was spent. Cam #'s are 224/226 .555/.535, 111.5+1.5 LSA, 110/113 centerlines. I'm running a Bullitt intake, it will let me take advantage of the extra rpm the cams will make. Should peek around 6300-6400 RPM. I've done some work to the intake inside by easing the air flow path where everything mates together, there's some cliffs hanging out lol. It will be a stout little NA combo.
Man I want complemnt you on your car, it looks very nicely done I must say. I bet she will boogie on down the road. Plus i love that red on the car, mine is black. I was just reading some of the post and I came across yours and had to check it out. Keep us updated my friend. As soon as the weather breaks i will be starting my build thread. Keep it real brother.

I agree, on a stock rotating assembly n/a build, I wouldn't even think about wasting the money on TF heads. It sounds like you've got the PI heads worked really nicely, and I really don't see them being a limiting factor on your goals. Thank you for the props! I'll be sure to keep an eye out for your build, best of luck!

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I am going to chime in with just getting the battery from the store most conveniently located for you, buy whatever their mack daddy is (gold, platinum) and use it. The gold ones are usually a 3 year warranty with free replacement. If you look online you'll probably find a 20% off coupon or something.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I ordered my oddysey's through battery mart myself. The cost difference vs the chance you need to return a quality battery is minimal as long as its not optima imo.

OP
OP
97stanger

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
I am going to chime in with just getting the battery from the store most conveniently located for you, buy whatever their mack daddy is (gold, platinum) and use it. The gold ones are usually a 3 year warranty with free replacement. If you look online you'll probably find a 20% off coupon or something.

That’s actually what I think I’m going to do. Local store has their “platinum” battery for $150 with no questions asked 3 years return warranty. Will see how it does

OP
OP
97stanger

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
And the finished product

5c3b589cba83301da1a185c7eb94ecc6.jpg

5e4788da26ee065257fc92e4685a38aa.jpg

4f2095320c110f8c351dcd9b7a43fd36.jpg