My "re" build thread - Trick flow/turbo build

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
Going to start a build thread for the new motor build. At this point, got the engine pulled and going to start disassembly. I have already sold my blower setup, intercooler, blow off valve, and crank pulley. The plan is to go Trick Flow head, turbo cam, and 76mm turbo setup. Most likely will convert to E85 as well. I'll have a ton of questions and ask for input, so I'll just post everything in here. Hoping to start disassembly shortly!

Old setup:

Blower being taken off:

Motor pulled:

Hoping to start getting this thing broken down shortly. First step will be to get shortblock to machine shop just to go over everything, and at a minimum I will most likely swap to stainless steel piston rings. In a perfect world, that will be the only thing I end up changing with the short block. Currently have a '97 romeo block .20 over, Cobra crank, Manley 18cc Platinum Series pistons, Manley H-beam rods, and ARP 2000 hardware. My goals for this build is 750+rwhp through the auto. Any input/suggestions are welcome and I'll keep this thread updated with progress and any questions throughout the build so I'm not clogging up space. Just an fyi, I'm starting to list stuff that I will not be using in turbo build in the for sale section. I'll also be selling my MMR Stage 3 PI heads, custom grind blower cams, and Crower high lift spring setup. Would like to keep fully assembled!

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Hi I'm a woman and I can't make up my mind :)

Just messing man, this is going to be so awesome. Glad you decided to keep it!

neverenuff

Reaction score
Going to start a build thread for the new motor build. At this point, got the engine pulled and going to start disassembly. I have already sold my blower setup, intercooler, blow off valve, and crank pulley. The plan is to go Trick Flow head, turbo cam, and 76mm turbo setup. Most likely will convert to E85 as well. I'll have a ton of questions and ask for input, so I'll just post everything in here. Hoping to start disassembly shortly!

Old setup:

Blower being taken off:

Motor pulled:

Hoping to start getting this thing broken down shortly. First step will be to get shortblock to machine shop just to go over everything, and at a minimum I will most likely swap to stainless steel piston rings. In a perfect world, that will be the only thing I end up changing with the short block. Currently have a '97 romeo block .20 over, Cobra crank, Manley 18cc Platinum Series pistons, Manley H-beam rods, and ARP 2000 hardware. My goals for this build is 750+rwhp through the auto. Any input/suggestions are welcome and I'll keep this thread updated with progress and any questions throughout the build so I'm not clogging up space. Just an fyi, I'm starting to list stuff that I will not be using in turbo build in the for sale section. I'll also be selling my MMR Stage 3 PI heads, custom grind blower cams, and Crower high lift spring setup. Would like to keep fully assembled!
Glad to see your keeping the car. Can't wait to see the updates with the new turbo build!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
It's all good brother. I know your taste and your attention to detail. I know this rendition will be nothing short of awesome.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Glad to see this getting new life rather than dispersed.

This message courtesy of crapatalk!

OP
OP
97stanger

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
Glad to see this getting new life rather than dispersed.

This message courtesy of crapatalk!

Gave it a lot of thought, and financially I think this is the right move. Just going to take my time with it and do a build I've always wanted to do.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Gave it a lot of thought, and financially I think this is the right move. Just going to take my time with it and do a build I've always wanted to do.
lol financially a nice focus/civic would kill all the options listed above :) But I too am happy to see you keep it. I think like me you have a lot into it and its too hard to ignore.

OP
OP
97stanger

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
lol financially a nice focus/civic would kill all the options listed above :) But I too am happy to see you keep it. I think like me you have a lot into it and its too hard to ignore.

I agree. And when it comes down to it...to ME, its worth all of $15k. But to the average person, its a $10k car. And it just wouldn't make sense to accept $10k for this car, and put $10k down on a $30k new S550. I'd still owe $20k on a bone stock car....just doesn't fit what I'm looking for

OP
OP
97stanger

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
I was previously running an IW 10% overdrive crank pulley with my blower setup. I sold the 10% overdrive and was planning on getting stock diameter IW crank pulley with the turbo setup now. I previously had the internals balanced with my 10% crank pulley...should I have to get them rebalanced with the smaller regular diameter pulley now?

Wichers123

Reaction score
No our mods are internal balanced so the weight of the crank pulley doesn't matter. They are only there to help with resident frequencies.

OP
OP
97stanger

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
No our mods are internal balanced so the weight of the crank pulley doesn't matter. They are only there to help with resident frequencies.

Thanks for the info. Makes it a bit easier. From what I can remember, when I first got my internals balanced I wonder why the machine shop wanted the balancer

OP
OP
97stanger

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
Game plan is to have everything ripped apart down to the short block soon. Going to bring short block to L&M Race Engines next Friday to have them clean everything, check the bore, and start looking everything over. In a perfect world, I'll just need new bearings and piston rings, and the short block will be good to go. First thing up, I'm running a stock oil pan. Now would be the time to upgrade. I'm not normally a fan of MMR, but anybody running their 7 qt with windage tray?

http://www.modularmotorsportsracing.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=309

OP
OP
97stanger

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
Got a lot done tonight. Just about ready to bring to machine shop, planning on bringing next Friday. Everything looks like brand new, perfect condition. One cylinder has an extremely minor score to the wall, which I don't think is anything. Thinking transmission might have been my issue this whole time.

Maybe a little something going on here, but I doubt it:

About ready for machine shop:

I'm posting up some sweet heads/cams/valve spring setup for sale if anybody is interested!

There are some good memorial day sales going on this weekend. Think I'm going to pull the trigger on MMR oil pan with windage tray, 4v TSS billet gears for my oil pump, and stock diameter IW crank pulley

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
Oh man, so bummed to hear about the engine. Odd to say that because it's ok lol. Just sucks to find something you weren't expecting. What's making you think it's the transmission?

OP
OP
97stanger

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
Oh man, so bummed to hear about the engine. Odd to say that because it's ok lol. Just sucks to find something you weren't expecting. What's making you think it's the transmission?

Yeah I know right. It's all good though, I'm doing a build I've always wanted to do. I guess it still could be a ring, but process of elimination I'm not seeing anything that's standing out in the bottom end

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hazel113

Members online

No members online now.