My Ricermobile Civic Budget Build

slow90coupe

Reaction score
Since a few people on here wanted to see my Civic, I figured I would make a small build thread. It's nothing special by any means, but so far it's been a pretty fun car to mess with, and it's amazing how much stuff you can buy for one of these with $1000.

It's a 96 Civic EX, 5 speed, 143,000 miles with a D16Y8 Vtec swap (Still has zero power) and A/C delete because racecar. Thankfully the dumbasses that did the swap left the power steering and cruise control. They did manage to hack up literally every single harness in the car though. From the fog lights to the door harnesses, hell even the tail light harness, everything has quick-splices in it. I still don't understand why either, lol. I'm slowly de-ghettoing the car in my free time. It is a great running little car though. I've been getting 42mpg's so it is saving me some money.

The day I got the car.

Then the next night, I tore the front end off of it to see if I could fix the bumper alignment and maybe throw some new headlights in it. The foglight wiring was hilarious. From the dash to the bumper there was at least 8 different sections of wires that were twisted together like this, unprotected. Of course I tore all of that crap out.

New headlights ($50) and better bumper fitment. Before you could shake the bumper up and down about 5 inches. There was only 2 screws holding it on...

Looky what I found under the rattle can paint on the hood... yes that's a carbon fiber hood in need of serious help.

After some wetsanding and paint stripper. My $15 SI grille also showed up.

And after some compounding and polishing. Not too bad for what I thought was a total loss of a hood.

Got the interior looking fresh too. It's very clean for the age.

Then it was time for some suspension upgrades. The car had ebay coilover sleeves on the stock struts, and the car would actually bounce so bad on bridges that it would become airborn. no lie. My neck still hurts from all of the bouncing.

Here's a vid of just how bad it was. That's not me jiggling the wheel btw lol

[video]http://s796.photobucket.com/user/slow90coupe/media/Mobile%20Uploads/ghetto_zps330f704f.mp4.html[/video]

So I went on ebay and ordered some full coilovers ($390) and some control arms ($60). I'm amazed at how good the quality of this stuff is for the price. The car rides better than my Mustang with UPR coilovers and BMW with FK coilovers.

Of course it's a Honda, so the rear suspension bolts are all frozen/broken. One was already snapped before I even got to it. It's amazing the suspension didn't come apart on me coming down the road. The bolt was in a bind and was bent all to hell. I had to cut 4 bolts out in total.

All installed and new bolts to replace the broken ones. I also did a halfass paintjob on everything while I was under there.

On the ground, I also bought some $30 red extended lugs from Ebay too.

OP
OP
slow90coupe

slow90coupe

Reaction score
Then next weekend I borrowed a fender roller and rolled all 4 lips. I gave the rears a slight pull too.

I bought some $30 camber kits from (you guessed it) ebay and put them on. I had to cut these bolts out too, lol.

Then I removed the factory pinstriping.

Then my XXR 531's showed up. I went with 16x8 platinums with +20 offset in the front and +0 in the rear. Tires are 195/45/16 sunnys. $44 a piece, lol.

Got them on and clearanced in the rear. It's veryyyy tight. As in a credit card will get stuck between the tire and fender. Don't mind the front stance, I made sure to leave it high to see how much lower I could go and still clear the speed bumps at school.

Put it on the alignment machine at work, yeah the front was pretty out of whack lol. The camber was pretty dang close considering I just eyeballed the rear. I adjusted it to -6 degrees, toed the front, and I'm ready to go.

Notice the lip sitting on the alignment rack. And it's not even low yet!

How the car sits now. I'm not satisfied with the stance, but it doesn't rub at all so I'm happy for a beater.

My next project is the engine bay. I might pull the engine and tuck everything and spray can the bay. Who knows. More progress pics will come tomorrow.

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
Nice work dude. I like the older civics, so I'm following this build lol. Are the windows tinted at all? They look really light, 20% would look tits. I noticed the dealer plate on the car, you buy, fix up and sell cars pretty often right?

OP
OP
slow90coupe

slow90coupe

Reaction score
Nice work dude. I like the older civics, so I'm following this build lol. Are the windows tinted at all? They look really light, 20% would look tits. I noticed the dealer plate on the car, you buy, fix up and sell cars pretty often right?
Thanks! They're still in fishbowl status, I would tint them but $200 to do them right is way too much for me to spend on this car. I might experiment with a roll of tint from ebay though. Yeah every car I've ever had besides my BMW has been ran on the dealer tag. My dad's a dealer and I'm signed on as a salesman, so I drive around on the dealer tag all the time. It just sucks that there's basically no coverage on anything I drive. That's why I don't drive the Mustang very much, I don't want to wreck it and be out of $10,000 lol.

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Such an awesome little car! The chrome CCW classic reps with red lug nuts look tits.

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
Thanks! They're still in fishbowl status, I would tint them but $200 to do them right is way too much for me to spend on this car. I might experiment with a roll of tint from ebay though. Yeah every car I've ever had besides my BMW has been ran on the dealer tag. My dad's a dealer and I'm signed on as a salesman, so I drive around on the dealer tag all the time. It just sucks that there's basically no coverage on anything I drive. That's why I don't drive the Mustang very much, I don't want to wreck it and be out of $10,000 lol.

i hear ya lol. i don't blame you for not driving it often lol

sleepn_sn95

Reaction score
yes_napoleon_dynamite.gif

duh09

Legend
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Reminds me so much of my bud's EX Sedan he had on Varrstoen CCW reps. He just put this car back stock and put everything on his Teggy.
3558_10200512947719359_1231321876_n.jpg

OP
OP
slow90coupe

slow90coupe

Reaction score
Needs moar
Low
Tuck
Poke
Stretch
Camber

Sweet whip. How much did the car itself cost you, if you don't mind me asking?

Sent via swagPhone 5.0 using Tapatalk
I got it for $2000. It came with a bunch of extra ricer parts and good wheels/tires so I can probably get $500 out of stuff I've took off.

bottlefed97

Reaction score
Sweet little daily! I love how the CCW's look on there.

I'd be rocking a Civic for my DD as well if I didn't have a Focus.

ElKabong197

Reaction score
Favorite body style of civic, too bad too many young kids get them and mess them up.

Sent from my Galaxy S fizzledizzle using Tapatizzile Twizzle

OP
OP
slow90coupe

slow90coupe

Reaction score
I messed with the car a little today.

$2 each NGK plugs. $8 tune up FTW.

I definitely needed them. The tips were almost burnt off and were burnt even. I can't wait to see what kind of mileage I can get now.

Painted the H on the rear.

Painted the wiper arms.

Picked up an AEM wideband for $50.

And just 2 random pics. I thought it was cool that I've got parts scattered all through the car for various projects. HRE's in the trunk and TL lowering springs in the front, random lug nuts and pieces everywhere else.

And a random pic I found before I lowered the front and put the center caps on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cwacaser

Members online