Need advice on home low/mid rise lifts

Werecow

Reaction score
Gnna be welding over head anywhich way you look at it. If you know how to run a mig or a tig gun you don't have to be directly under it anyhoo...

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
if the ramp and a 4 x 4 is all that it has got off the ground it will not be a good time is all I am sayin.

Werecow

Reaction score
Sometimes ya gotta go with what you are able do with safely, cause that's all you can do with for reasons like fundage, work area (gravel driveway) or a concrete pad. Not everyone has a garage or lift to be able to work on their cars and we just have to make do with what's available to us as safely as we can. Sometimes ya just have to be creative. I also remember seeing someone on here who built a cradle type deal out of 2x6?2x8? I can't remember that went under their tyres that I thought was pretty smart and you could build as high as needed, within reason I'd think.. But that also would work really good!!

OP
OP
PinkieT

PinkieT

Reaction score
Got a Century MIG welder so that is not a problem. My car is so low the front spoiler hits the ramps I got before the tires do! I bench pressed cast iron case 4-speed transmissions into cars on jack stands before, but I was a hell of a lot younger! I just finished a bitchy 4 wheel brake job on a Kia Soul for a buddy and it about killed me. My mechanic buddy said the old Rotary lifts are bulletproof and thinks it is a good deal. I contacted the seller for more info. The quest continues...

Werecow

Reaction score
Oh I know about low to the ground!! Mine's got a 351M and 4cyl springs!! It doesn't run yet so I had to jack it up to get it on the ramps and that was no small feat in itself!!

OP
OP
PinkieT

PinkieT

Reaction score
Oh I know about low to the ground!! Mine's got a 351M and 4cyl springs!! It doesn't run yet so I had to jack it up to get it on the ramps and that was no small feat in itself!!

Yep, the price we pay to look beautiful... :p

Steve-Oh

Legend
Reaction score
One way to do it if your a lil short on $$ and you wanna do your subframe connectors is to just get 2 sets of those plastic ramps then jack it up and put the ramps under your tires, if you need a lil more clearance put a few 2x8's cut to size on top of the ramps under your tires... All 4 tires are loaded and you can get under it safely..View attachment 7361
Something similar to this all the way around.. yeh I need better wood, but you get the drift..

This is how I had to do mine back in the day.

and then you get to lay in the sparks as they reign down on you. I mean you should just set yourself on fire before you start welding.

Unfortunately this is the nature of the beast if you’re mig welding overhead.

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
Just wondering how high dose that rotary lift
Raise up
If it is just a few feet and your welding under
Raining hot sparks all over you
Just be careful and cautious and have a fire extinguisher to put yourself out
No joking around on that
Seen it actually happen

Werecow

Reaction score
Unnerstand that!! I used to work on a surface coal mine operating heavy equipment, and the foremen always used to hate seeing me come to them at the beginning of a shift. I was one of the very few how actually did do a walk-around inspection of my equipment at the beginning of the shift and I'd tell em if shit was broke or needed repairs... I never did follow that "Oh just run it and watch it... We'll fix it in a few weeks or 2..." Cause that was my safety and other people I worked around as well..

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
when I worked at intel, safety was #1 but annoyingly so. At the top/bottom of each stairway there is a sign saying "Stay to the right, hold the hand rail and take only one step at a time. But then we did have talk slowly and use a lot of hand signals to communicate with most of the engineers(carpet dwellers).

OP
OP
PinkieT

PinkieT

Reaction score
I was inspecting a circuit board company with vats of various chemicals they dipped the boards in. The plant manager and I found a chemical storage cabinet with 2 or 3 inches of an unknown liquid standing in the bottom. He paged the foreman and while we were waiting joked with me about stupid people who would dip their finger in the liquid and sniff it without thinking first what it might be - acid, toxic, reactive, etc. The foreman came over and guess what he did! I bet he would have tasted it too but he saw us looking at him. I guarantee he got an ass chewing once I left...

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
intel had to be that safe because there was a million ways to die inside of the fab let alone if you tripped down the stairs. It was there I learned about chemicals that are pyrophoric meaning that they will spontaniously combust when exposed to atmosphere and why we used them and how. But like I said it was taken to a bit of an extreme. If there was an incident at the Isreal fab, we got to hear all about it, how it happened, how it could have been prevented, what they are doing now, what they are going to do next week, 2 times a week in meetings. Intel was just meetings meetings meetings, safety safety safety...

Steve-Oh

Legend
Reaction score
Just wondering how high dose that rotary lift
Raise up
If it is just a few feet and your welding under
Raining hot sparks all over you
Just be careful and cautious and have a fire extinguisher to put yourself out
No joking around on that
Seen it actually happen

Definitely agree, need a second person to watch and be ready with one. No synthetic fiber clothing, all your ppe and it will help avoid a burn. Even with leather sleeves that shit will still burn through regardless.

Werecow

Reaction score
Definitely agree, need a second person to watch and be ready with one. No synthetic fiber clothing, all your ppe and it will help avoid a burn. Even with leather sleeves that shit will still burn through regardless.

Definitely make sure you are wearing an all cotton shirt and jeans! All of our welders had all cotton uniforms cause anything else would pop a hole and melt to your skin!!

Boostr1

Reaction score
I have leather welding gloves, A thick denim (cotton) jacket, pull on sleeves, welding cap, and if I really want to get serioes I can lay under a fire proof blanket...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
robtalbott

Members online