New Trickflow intake!

ALITL8

Reaction score
DropTopPony said:
I think the PI with alum crossover is 12lbs

that sounds close... the PI is nowhere near 55 lbs!!!

jpajkos

Reaction score
Yeah but the PI intake is also plastic. IM sure a trick flow intake for a pushrod doesn't weight in at 15lbs lol.

ALITL8

Reaction score
jpajkos said:
Yeah but the PI intake is also plastic. IM sure a trick flow intake for a pushrod doesn't weight in at 15lbs lol.

thats probably true.

here's what they say:

The initial results on the intake are in, and they are more than impressive. This first round of testing was done on a completely stock 2002 Mustang GT. Stock throttle body, stock exhaust, stock everything! Obviously this is a "worst case scenario" test since any intake would perform much better with better breathing capabilities than a stock car can provide. This was done to give true numbers instead of throwing the intake on a car that was a ringer and give you inflated numbers. Once you add some camshafts, P&P'd heads, exhaust and a larger throttle body, gains will only multiply.

On to the results:

The gains on the intake were almost unbelievable. There was no loss in horsepower or torque throughout the entire RPM range. Something every intake designer would like to see but rarely it happens. There was a max gain of 17 RWHP at 5400 RPM and 21 RWTQ at 2400 RPM! Average horsepower climbed from 187 RWHP to 198 RWHP, a 12 RWHP gain. Average torque climbed from 246 RWTQ to 257 RWTQ, an 11 RWTQ gain.

i got close to that kind of gain with a chip and tune with my weak ass bolt ons for $300 less. the price for the gain isnt really that bad but it looks like you'll need PI heads to use the Fox Lake intake anyway :dunno:

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
jpajkos said:
Being plactic composite is actually a good thing...weight savings and no heat soak. LSx engines also have plastic composite intakes and you don't hear of them having issues because they were designed better. Ford just made a huge design error with the front coolant crossover and alternator hookup that caused cracks. If a company made a better plastic intake i bet it would work and sell great...Think of what people do to save 40lbs of weight...like new Kmembers etc that cost $1500 + so if we had a really good aftermarket plastic intake that made hp and kept the extra weight off that would be perfect for 90% of us. The 10% being those who run wet nitrous kits :)

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
ALITL8 said:
jpajkos said:

thats probably true.

here's what they say:

The initial results on the intake are in, and they are more than impressive. This first round of testing was done on a completely stock 2002 Mustang GT. Stock throttle body, stock exhaust, stock everything! Obviously this is a "worst case scenario" test since any intake would perform much better with better breathing capabilities than a stock car can provide. This was done to give true numbers instead of throwing the intake on a car that was a ringer and give you inflated numbers. Once you add some camshafts, P&P'd heads, exhaust and a larger throttle body, gains will only multiply.

On to the results:

The gains on the intake were almost unbelievable. There was no loss in horsepower or torque throughout the entire RPM range. Something every intake designer would like to see but rarely it happens. There was a max gain of 17 RWHP at 5400 RPM and 21 RWTQ at 2400 RPM! Average horsepower climbed from 187 RWHP to 198 RWHP, a 12 RWHP gain. Average torque climbed from 246 RWTQ to 257 RWTQ, an 11 RWTQ gain.

i got close to that kind of gain with a chip and tune with my weak ass bolt ons for $300 less. the price for the gain isnt really that bad but it looks like you'll need PI heads to use the Fox Lake intake anyway :dunno:
Just like any intake made for PI heads you can adapt it to NPI heads with plates or RTV. That intake however would benefit you 0% since its designed for ported heads/cams/high rpm engines or those with boost. It would basically just take $1300 outta your hands and add more weight to your already heavy front end. And thats if it will even fit under your hood.

S

scarface

EW...EW....EW....I gots Boost. I cant wait to see one dyno'd !

jpajkos

Reaction score
I see where your coming from droptop. Let me ask you if I was to tune what I have right now in my signature with a ati procharger pushing 10lbs of boost would the P.I. Intake hold up? My block with everything has less then 60k on it. Or should I consider a new intake?

S

scarface

jpajkos said:
I see where your coming from droptop. Let me ask you if I was to tune what I have right now in my signature with a ati procharger pushing 10lbs of boost would the P.I. Intake hold up? My block with everything has less then 60k on it. Or should I consider a new intake?
WHy wouldnt it hold up?

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
jpajkos said:

PI intakes don't break from boost...only a nitrous backfire will do it in early. I have honestly ever heard of only 1 4.6 intake blowing from boost and it was over 30psi...boost away and be confident.

jpajkos

Reaction score
I don't really know why it wouldn't hold up but let me ask why would it hold up if its only plastic? Where I come from plastic isn't very reliable it either breaks or puts you in alot of debt.

Gtnut1996

Reaction score
In my oppinion I am not too impressed with the manifold. I was reading that TFS claims that it performs like a bullit manifold. I talked to the rep from trick flow at the shades of the past street rod show and he told me that it is going to blow everything away(of course he works for them so I know he will talk it up). I was wanting the manifold until I read what I read. The P-51 and new edelbrock is not a street manifold, and the pi manifold still does break. I am personally waiting for the vri manifold to come out. It can be adjusted to be a long or short runner. I read about it in a magazine, then when I picked up the book Modifying 4.6/5.4L Ford Horsepower on the dyno they had a test on it. The Long runner gained 36 hp with a gain in torque and horsepower through the whole range. The short runner gained 75 horsepower. They were tested against a pi intake manifold. The test motor did have a 4.6 to 5.0 stroker kit and stage 3 heads from tea. VRI says that they are still working on it. It is all metal and by far the best looking in my opinion.

Gtnut1996

Reaction score
Yea. It is suppose to be competively priced. I e-mailed the company and will let everyone know what they say when i hear back. I know that you get what you pay for though. The VRI looks awesome though, and looks light weight.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Gtnut1996 said:
Yea. It is suppose to be competively priced. I e-mailed the company and will let everyone know what they say when i hear back. I know that you get what you pay for though. The VRI looks awesome though, and looks light weight.

Are you talking about the one Richard Holdener had made for the RHSC series in MMFF? That style intake is geared mainly towards high boost appliications but i'd like to see how it performs. It definately looks cool...almost like a float from a Pontoon boat. They make a similar intake for 5.0's.

Gtnut1996

Reaction score
Yea. It is adjustable though. The dyno is in the book i mentioned. The book it highly reccomended. Alot of products tested.

OP
OP
R

rtgreen

Reaction score
Gtnut1996 said:
In my oppinion I am not too impressed with the manifold. I was reading that TFS claims that it performs like a bullit manifold. I talked to the rep from trick flow at the shades of the past street rod show and he told me that it is going to blow everything away(of course he works for them so I know he will talk it up). I was wanting the manifold until I read what I read. The P-51 and new edelbrock is not a street manifold, and the pi manifold still does break. I am personally waiting for the vri manifold to come out. It can be adjusted to be a long or short runner. I read about it in a magazine, then when I picked up the book Modifying 4.6/5.4L Ford Horsepower on the dyno they had a test on it. The Long runner gained 36 hp with a gain in torque and horsepower through the whole range. The short runner gained 75 horsepower. They were tested against a pi intake manifold. The test motor did have a 4.6 to 5.0 stroker kit and stage 3 heads from tea. VRI says that they are still working on it. It is all metal and by far the best looking in my opinion.

Is this info available for review online? If so google cannot seem to find VRI or Variable Runner Intake. I see that MM&FF did a test on the VRI, but it was v's a NPI intake, so the gains of a claimed 40-50 hp were over the NPI. You also state that you are not impressed with the TrickFlow, but offer us no reason as to why. There have been no dyno numbers released for it yet. Keep in mind that the Trickflow is a street intake that will probably preforme a little better than the bullitt, but be much cheaper.

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
DropTopPony said:
and it weighs 55lbs....thats alot.

Chough, sputter- WTF
What you said about loosing weight, been there...
I was really liking this intake until i read about the weight. That sux!

The PI being plastic is not such a bad thing, the aftermaket Vette intakes r plastic too.

I guess I could try this one if I blow up my PI :)

Hey GTnut - can you get some more info on that thing?

1996mustangGT

Reaction score
you know until someone shows me diffrently
im just gonna keep on goin after a PI intake.
as much as i love asumptions im not gonna pay another $400
for 10 HP.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chasingomas

Members online