Next direction for street/track car

ba#97

Reaction score
um...are you looking at the link I posted? its a trackday group. as for the other groups, look into them...my experience with Porsche, vette etc groups is that they have no problem letting other cars come out. just have to ask them or go on their site and sign up. usually they may require a membership but...in the grand scheme of things the membership cost is worth it when you get out to the track more by going with them.

OP
OP
V

v6mustang94

Reaction score
The Track Time Motorsports link? Those events are just the Performance Driving School. He works to get groups of people to go together at a discounted rate. Last year he charged $270 instead of the $310 (+/-) that BIR charges.

I hear clubs are usually pretty open. I've never looked into the local clubs yet though. I'd be a little nervous about going out with those guys without some experience under my belt.

ba#97

Reaction score
The Track Time Motorsports link? Those events are just the Performance Driving School. He works to get groups of people to go together at a discounted rate. Last year he charged $270 instead of the $310 (+/-) that BIR charges.

I hear clubs are usually pretty open. I've never looked into the local clubs yet though. I'd be a little nervous about going out with those guys without some experience under my belt.

Why would you be nervous?

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I can understand being nervous about getting swamped by a club who regularly does these events

OP
OP
V

v6mustang94

Reaction score
Exactly. Just intimidating to join a club's event as an inexperienced driver. You don't want to be the guy getting in the way.

RichV

Reaction score
That's why NASA really has a well built program. They don't just throw you to the wolves ...

[video=youtube;DYihZApdicM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYihZApdicM[/video]

[video=youtube;fl7uQyFBT_0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fl7uQyFBT_0[/video]

[video=youtube;dlWQC0Hmhf4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlWQC0Hmhf4[/video]

The last one is just because. :D My #71 Foxbody is in that vid a couple of times.

hotmustang95

Reaction score
Exactly. Just intimidating to join a club's event as an inexperienced driver. You don't want to be the guy getting in the way.

First club I ever ran with was PBOC=Porsche BMW owners club. Second club was PCA= Porsche club of America. There were guys in my beginners group who'd never even pushed their cars, much less been on a racetrack. I also run with HOD, ERME, HPDE. Never run with NASA but they have the same program. They all have run groups from beginner level to pro. You'll be grouped with other drivers with similar skill level. There will be faster guys then you and there will be slower guys. If you go out there with the mentality that your gonna try to be faster then everyone then your screwed. Find an event, listen to your instructor, relax, and have fun.

ba#97

Reaction score

My response to this is that EVERYONE started somewhere. that being said, most track day groups and clubs split their events into run groups based off of experience level so that the newer guys aren't out there in an open passing environment or some environment where they wouldn't be comfortable. that's MOST groups. you'd just have to ask them prior to going. Even ask someone to ride with you and give you some advice if you really are nervous. someone will almost always be willing to help. again...everyone had to start somewhere.

OP
OP
V

v6mustang94

Reaction score
I had no idea clubs normally did groups like that. I'll have to look around the net and see if I can educate myself on the local clubs a bit, and weasel my way in a little.

ba#97

Reaction score
I had no idea clubs normally did groups like that. I'll have to look around the net and see if I can educate myself on the local clubs a bit, and weasel my way in a little.

yeah they all do it that way for the most part so that everyone can run with people of a similar skill level and then usually when you think you're ready to move up you can get a check ride and move up to the next one. there's still a chance that even in a beginner group there will be drivers that have been to a few track days already and will be faster for sure, but rules are usually set for a beginner group so that passing is only allowed on straights via point-by and nothing close to 'racing' is allowed.

OP
OP
V

v6mustang94

Reaction score
What t-stat do you recommend for an occasional track day car? 180* or stock?

Last July at the track I was running pretty close to hot in 80-90* weather.

OLD H2S

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
And do not discount the WOMEN! They just love to dust you off, ask me how I know. They seem to listen to the instructor better.

RichV

Reaction score
What t-stat do you recommend for an occasional track day car? 180* or stock?

Last July at the track I was running pretty close to hot in 80-90* weather.

I don't run a t'stat, probably a mistake. But a stocker should be fine.

RichV

Reaction score
And do not discount the WOMEN! They just love to dust you off, ask me how I know. They seem to listen to the instructor better.

I've taught a few, some are scary. But some learn really fast.

hotmustang95

Reaction score
I don't run a t'stat, probably a mistake. But a stocker should be fine.

No, not a mistake. The temps one reaches during a track event keep a T-stat open the whole time. At that point airflow through your radiator becomes more important. I didn't run a T-stat for a while but because I still drive the car on the streets every once in a while in the winter, the car stayed too cold so I had to add the normal 180.

wmfateam

Reaction score
I "boxed" my radiator, installed a stout airdamn and removed my fan, running a stock t stat, in the Arizona heat and my car runs fine as long as I am moving and take a cool down lap.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

RichV

Reaction score
No, not a mistake. The temps one reaches during a track event keep a T-stat open the whole time. At that point airflow through your radiator becomes more important. I didn't run a T-stat for a while but because I still drive the car on the streets every once in a while in the winter, the car stayed too cold so I had to add the normal 180.

True, but the tstat is a flow restriction and with a huge radiator at high RPM flow may be too much and not getting a good heat exchange through the radiator. Mine only seems to have issues o very hot days.

RichV

Reaction score
I "boxed" my radiator, installed a stout airdamn and removed my fan, running a stock t stat, in the Arizona heat and my car runs fine as long as I am moving and take a cool down lap.

Do you still have the stock fan?

wmfateam

Reaction score
It is sitting in my stock parts bin at work.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diabolic2010

Members online