On3 or build your own

KillNThrill24

Legend
Reaction score
Buddy of mine wants to put a turbo on his 2v, I told him to check out the newer On3 kits to see if they are worth a damn. I've seen a lot of good reviews about the recent kits. But he said he wants to build a kit using better parts. My question is where should he go to buy the cold side and hot side? I found the MMR hotside which he liked but nothing on the cold side yet.. Would you recommend the newer On3 or build your own? I think he's shooting for 5-600rwhp. What turbo would you guys use?

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
The 5.0 kit is way different from the 2V kit.

Does your buddy have a big budget? Hellion offers a kit that is pretty much complete from the K-member to the exhaust.
Last time I checked On3's kit comes with alot of parts that you will end up replacing in the long run. I'm hoping their new front facing kit has been optimized because many people were complaining about their previous kits.

If you build you own kit, you're still probably going to end up spending quite some money.

I would PM [MENTION=18213]Turbo2vGT[/MENTION]. He has a custom setup on his 2V and he can probably shed some light on where he got his parts for the hot & cold side.

Also [MENTION=8889]justinschmidt1[/MENTION] since he ran the on3 kit but upgraded it.

OP
OP
KillNThrill24

KillNThrill24

Legend
Reaction score
Yeah Turbo2v is my buddy Corey haha I should have probably asked him in the first place. His car is the ultimate freight train mode.. Good God that thing puts you back in your seat and keeps you planted lol. Baddest 2v around here and all near by areas.

He's looking to spend as little as possible, if at all possible. Turbo's are expensive, we all know that. But any money you can possibly save along the way the better right?

Yeah JS had the old school kit which from what everyone said, is a total POS. That's why I was wondering what people thought of the most recent kit release. I know LMR has it for $1800 which is a good price even if your only using the cold/hot side. You could sell the turbo/bov/wastegate and make a few bucks back on it and because it's all "fitted" for the mustang there isn't much guesswork involved, if that makes any sense

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
Joey [MENTION=18400]1bad9d5[/MENTION] is running an On-3 turbo on his 95. I'm looking into the on-3 kit aswell, they've supposedly fixed a lot of prior issues

Caboose302

Reaction score
Also [MENTION=8889]justinschmidt1[/MENTION] since he ran the on3 kit but upgraded it.

First, What happened to that guy?
Second, I've heard that it's a decent kit but after a while you'll have to replace the turbo itself.

OP
OP
KillNThrill24

KillNThrill24

Legend
Reaction score
JS is on that CTS-V good-good now lol

But yeah like I said you could sell the turbo/bov/wastegate when the time comes for a couple hundred bucks I'm sure, and make back some of the money you spent on the kit of $1800. So say you sold them all for $300 (just a ballpark) then you bought the hotside and coldside for $1500. Still overpriced? Yes. but not nearly as bad and a lot less fabbing than picking up universal cold side's and.. I'm not sure where you would find just a hot side anymore lol. It's giving me a few idea's myself honestly. Shame the fuel system and suspension mod's cost a ton

Caboose302

Reaction score
I was going Procharger, until someone told me about this. I'm on the fence now, considering it's a 1/3 of the price.

1bad9d5

Reaction score
Yea I am running an On3 kit on my 95 GT, 70mm, 28mm wastegate, 50mm BOV... 10 pounds of boost, and im about to put it up to 12 when I get my GT40 heads and an intake for the car in march, I bought the kid back in March of 2012 and started the install in June of this year... so I guess they have changed some things from then? but so far cross my fingers I guess based off of 90% of the peoples opinion who never have had an On3 that nothing goes wrong, but so far, im in love with it, I think he should get the On3 for sure

OP
OP
KillNThrill24

KillNThrill24

Legend
Reaction score
Thanks for the positive responses fellas. It's always good to relay information from real users.

Caboose I say go for it man what've you got to lose? (I say that lightly of course lol)

1bad9d5 I knew you had a turbo bro but didn't know it was an On3. Hope it works out for you! I'll definitely pass on the info. Hey even the cheap guys get better with time right? I mean, if they were still as bad as when they started... Would they still be in business?

1bad9d5

Reaction score
yea man bought it like a week after I bought my gt lmao.. but then shit happened which is why it took me a year to start it.. but shes all hooked up and ready to go... gonna be at the track and plenty of shows with her in the new season, cant wait

nightfire

Reaction score
Their next gen forward-facing kit seems to be much higher in fit an finish than their older kits from what I hear.

I'd get their BASIC kit (tubing, brackets, intercooler, etc...) but I would leave out their wastegate, BOV, injectors, and MAF for superior quality pieces.

1bad9d5

Reaction score
Their next gen forward-facing kit seems to be much higher in fit an finish than their older kits from what I hear.

I'd get their BASIC kit (tubing, brackets, intercooler, etc...) but I would leave out their wastegate, BOV, injectors, and MAF for superior quality pieces.

He has a point, I had an issue with their injectors and had to buy a new set of 60 pounders :/ and I didn't buy new ones from them .... Also the wastegate came with the kit, no issue, but my BOV was not from them either so I guess its not 100%On3 but yea

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

Caboose302

Reaction score

Ok so granted I'm new to the turbo idea, but why does it say the forward facing kit is recommended for auto trans but the regular kit doesn't say anything?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I keep hearing that they fixed stuff that was previously wrong.... I keep hearing about how they are better now... I say "keep hearing" meaning for about a month or two, but for some reason I have not actually heard from anyone really running the new kit to say,"YES, its better and worth every penny now everyone needs in on this cool-aid". I mean I could tell you all that I am actually yoda but until you see me for sure unsure you will be um hmmmm???? I mean don't get me wrong, I want there to be an affordable, reliable, easy to put together kit for sn's but I have not really heard of such a thing to be made yet. Seems like there have been more then a few lately that have caught a turbo bug and I hope it works out....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chasingomas

Members online

No members online now.