Ordered parts for forged shortblock

jfor441

Legend
Reaction score
Should have my shortblock completed around middle of July. Heads are being sent out for work. I got my cams in ready to be installed when I get the heads back.

My question is this. I have 96GT. Should I buy new timing chain and tensioners or use the stuff off of my old motor? What should I reuse off the old motor and what should I buy new?

Thanks guys!

Josh

Thomas_W

Reaction score
jfor441 said:
Should have my shortblock completed around middle of July. Heads are being sent out for work. I got my cams in ready to be installed when I get the heads back.

My question is this. I have 96GT. Should I buy new timing chain and tensioners or use the stuff off of my old motor? What should I reuse off the old motor and what should I buy new?

Thanks guys!

Josh

if your spending that much money on a forged motor.. why go cheap on used stuff? But on the other hand.. if the chain guides are good, you can reuse those. i would replace the chain tensioner swing arm, tensioner and chains though.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I ordered all new timing components, I spent alot on block/heads/cams/pistons/rods/crank etc so i wanted all new everything in the longblock. I'm even gonna put new followers and lifters on.

OP
OP
J

jfor441

Legend
Reaction score
Thomas_W said:
jfor441 said:

Thanks guys!

Josh

if your spending that much money on a forged motor.. why go cheap on used stuff? But on the other hand.. if the chain guides are good, you can reuse those. i would replace the chain tensioner swing arm, tensioner and chains though.

Not trying to cheap out. I have just never built a hi performance motor. Don't know what can or cannot or should/should not be reused. I just want to do this right the first so that when I put this motor in it goes vroom vroom!

OP
OP
J

jfor441

Legend
Reaction score
firstonraceday said:
what pistons and such did you get??

Mahle flattop pistons and manley h-beam connecting rods. Also have a cobra crank on the way. If all goes as planned, I'll have the motor together by the end of July, August at the latest. I am looking to run 11.25:1 and my goal is 340-350 at the wheels N/A. I still haven't decided on an intake yet. I do know I won't be sticking with a stock PI because I will be spraying the motor. How much I am spraying? I don't know yet. Thinking of running 200 shot.

Good news is all this stuff is already paid for. I do have my emergency funds for the oh shit factor.

19mustang95

Legend
Reaction score
what block are you using, the stock one from your car?

if it was me, i would find and explorer aluminum block or a teskid block...save you a good amount of weight fron the front.

firstonraceday

Reaction score
sounds sweet.... if you have the money I would look into a p51. I have seen a ton of na 2vs with them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
senior001

Members online