Painting Trim Next Weekend, Need Paint Ideas, and Wiper Cowl Removal

Mustang_Sally

Reaction score
Okey Dokes,

Well I am almost done with the basic restoration of the car, the interior is cherry, the paint is a 7/10, now it's time for the trim to get painted. I'm planning on masking off the car next weekend to paint the convertible boot trim all the way around to the side view mirrors. I'm thinking glossy black. I want to paint the side mirrors and wiper cowl satin black. I don't know how to remove the wiper cowl or the side mirrors, any help would be greatly appreciated!

Also, shoot me some ideas as far as paint colors/brands go, and a how to if you get a wild hair up your a$$.

Thanks Guys,

Mustang Sally

belber095

Legend
Reaction score
the mirrors can be removed from inside the door. theres a cover you can pull off and take the bolts out.
i don't know about the cowl, but i am VERY interested in that. i need to repaint mine real bad

whiplash473

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
mirrors are easy..three nuts after you get the trim piece off..also easier if you pull the door panel to unplug them.......the wiper cowl probably will just be a btich like they all are and a bunch of the clips will break..there's not really a trick here..just be careful and take you time taking it off

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
as whippy said, with the cowl, the more time you take, the better. theres 4 or 6 little barb clips in there. once they break, they break. then your cowl will vibrate like crap.

tip: long skinny screw driver.

also, good time to replace your wiper motor (if its bad) and to clean out the leaves in the metal mesh.

OP
OP
M

Mustang_Sally

Reaction score
Hrmmm, I knew the cowl would be a *****, I'm going to run by the salvage yard tomorrow and see if I can pick one up cheap, just in case I beat this one to $hit.

Whippy, Will I be able to remove the mirrors with out taking off the door panel?

whiplash473

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
yeah you can but then you need to remove the window switch bezel and stuff half your arm in to get at the harness to unplug them

OP
OP
M

Mustang_Sally

Reaction score
Good looking out Chris. Thanks Whippy, I'll pull the panel. Now what about colors, I don't want it to be noticeable, just exactly like it did the day it rolled out of the Dearborne plant.

whiplash473

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
i'd do what i'm gonna do with my cowl this season (follow my lead since what i do is better than all others) and spray it black..i'll obviously use bc/cc but if you rattle can it i'd go with gloss

OP
OP
M

Mustang_Sally

Reaction score
i'd do what i'm gonna do with my cowl this season (follow my lead since what i do is better than all others) and spray it black..i'll obviously use bc/cc but if you rattle can it i'd go with gloss

Will do, I may wait to do the cowl until after you do so I can copy that $hit

9838stang

Reaction score
As said before look for all of the screws, that hold it in place. but you should also be careful and only do it in 60 plus degree weather. you will not believe how fragile that cowl is. to replace it it costs over 250 bucks for a new one.

may i ask why you are repainting it? i used come black magic with 4 applications and it brought it back to life and has looked like new for over 5 months.

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Personally, I would paint the side mirrors to match. It adds a little extra touch.
As far as the trim, I wouldnt do 1 part satin black and the other gloss. I would do it all the same.

OP
OP
M

Mustang_Sally

Reaction score
MS - i'll grab some pics and PM you when i do it if you want..sound good?

That sounds like a deal, thank you sir!

Personally, I would paint the side mirrors to match. It adds a little extra touch.
As far as the trim, I wouldnt do 1 part satin black and the other gloss. I would do it all the same.

True that, I'm worried about the gloss looking to shiny and the satin looking too dull, I know I'm a pain in the ass lulz.

As said before look for all of the screws, that hold it in place. but you should also be careful and only do it in 60 plus degree weather. you will not believe how fragile that cowl is. to replace it it costs over 250 bucks for a new one.

may i ask why you are repainting it? i used come black magic with 4 applications and it brought it back to life and has looked like new for over 5 months.

The sun has raped the plastic, white spots here and there, fading in others. The convertible top boot trim has a white/pinkish/yellowish spot about 6" in diameter that my eyes jump to every morning.

9838stang

Reaction score
thats how mine was lol. it looks like new! that black magic in a small squirt bottle. hold on ill take some pictures.

Sorry it is mothers back to black

sleepn_sn95

Reaction score
I painted my cowl with rustoleum satin black about a year ago and it has held up great
P1010219.jpg

9838stang

Reaction score
Here you go MS. this is about 5 months after i applied 4 coats of this stuff. the sun beating down on it and through snow salt car washes it has not budges one lol the mothers back to black works so f'ing well. the molding at the window is what color the cowl used to be. all faded and bad looking

DSCN2093_zps66b464c8.jpg

DSCN2094_zps5af64463.jpg

whiplash473

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
it's almost scary that shit can go thru all of that and still look good..some nasty stuff

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
senior001

Members online