passenger air bag differences?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
looking on ebay it shows that the 94-98 air bags are interchangeable. I didn't think there was a difference and didn't pay attention when I got the one I did, but with it pushed as far back as I can the front still sticks out an inch or two. So I ordered another one that said it was for a 94 and when I got it in today it has the same problem. So is my under-dash supports bent up really bad somehow or did I just get two wrong bags? There are spot welds on the center support for the bag, right next to the bolt mounts that are still intact and do not show like it was bent....

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
You mean to tell me all that custom work you did and you can’t modify the airbag cover to make it fit?!?!

Wtf???! [emoji2371]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
looking on ebay it shows that the 94-98 air bags are interchangeable. I didn't think there was a difference and didn't pay attention when I got the one I did, but with it pushed as far back as I can the front still sticks out an inch or two. So I ordered another one that said it was for a 94 and when I got it in today it has the same problem. So is my under-dash supports bent up really bad somehow or did I just get two wrong bags? There are spot welds on the center support for the bag, right next to the bolt mounts that are still intact and do not show like it was bent....
I thought they were all the same
I have changed a few of them , and never had any mounting problems,
That's new

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
You mean to tell me all that custom work you did and you can’t modify the airbag cover to make it fit?!?!

Wtf???! [emoji2371]

trust my I have REALLY considered just cutting the front cover off of one of the two I now have and stickin it on there. I didn't think there was any difference either but it looks like they had to move the mounting brackets about an inch or so...

Anyone have a 94 airbag?

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
trust my I have REALLY considered just cutting the front cover off of one of the two I now have and stickin it on there. I didn't think there was any difference either but it looks like they had to move the mounting brackets about an inch or so...

Anyone have a 94 airbag?

I find myself waiting for you to say fawk it and just custom make the entire cover...............

I’m totally not daring or encouraging you..........

..........or am I??

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I find myself waiting for you to say fawk it and just custom make the entire cover...............

I’m totally not daring or encouraging you..........

..........or am I??

It has occurred to me that it would be a neat place to mount, something..... But idunno I just know how karma treats me and me removing an airbag would leave that old bitch giggling and waiting for her moment.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
It has occurred to me that it would be a neat place to mount, something..... But idunno I just know how karma treats me and me removing an airbag would leave that old bitch giggling and waiting for her moment.

How many passengers you plan on driving around???

Look at it this way, I’m the one trying to talk ya into it so if anything will happen it’s when I’m riding shotgun to see how that beast runs!!!! [emoji1787]

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I have been messing with putting the dash together as I have been cursing at what seems like the easiest thing about tuning and the first thing to do, setting the throttle stop. Now with the tps sensor shit fixed I have been trying to get it down to where the IAC is around 10-15% at hot idle. For the past couple of weeks I have spent the time doing a whole dance adjusting it, resetting the tps sensor in the software and then starting it back up to get it perfect to go out the next day and see its at %40 at hot idle. Finally today I got it to do the same thing it did yesterday and I am only hoping it does it again tomorrow. Then my only problem is that it looks like they are testing missiles on the road 100 yrds before and after my house. They came in about a month ago and broke up all the really bad pieces of concrete and then filled it in with gravel. They said they were going to come back and blacktop it from end to end all of it, but they never said when......... Since they put it in the heavy rains we have had have washed out this gravel leaving trenches in it over a foot deep in some places. I need to do another remote session now that the tps is fixed and hopefully the iac dialed in(KNOCK ON WOOD) and still get the alignment done........

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
Airbags lol

I have the passenger side airbag from my ‘98 GT if you want another to try.

FivepointSlow

Reaction score
When I had my 94 I bought a set of airbags out of a 99 and they fit fine with the exception of the right side of the passenger side airbag having too aggressive of a curve and sticking out maybe 1/2 inch but I always figured that was due to shipping. The rest of the airbag sat flush it was just the corner that was not sitting correctly.

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I am not sure that it isn't something I have done, but I really can't figure out what I have done. The holley hp is down directly below it and mounted to the bottom of that bracket but I can see that there is nothing in the way and the metal brackets on the bottom are as far back as it will let it go. This is what I have with both.
48259914222_00fd3a05f6_b.jpg

Someone on one of the fb pages showed that I needed to get a bag with the manf # starting with F4. The bags I have are f5 and f7 so idunno. If this one don't fit I will have a hard time not cutting the cover of and saying fuck it.

Anyone that needs a black/grey passenger bag let me know

FivepointSlow

Reaction score
Is it actually running into the dash bracing that's suppose to hold it/cradle it or is it potentially running into something else?
If I remember correctly dropping the glovebox is required to get to the bolts anyways but would also allow you to inspect what's going on down there, pop the passenger seat out to save your back and take a look. I think some AC ducting might be in the way aswell.
I cant imagine Ford modified the airbag in the slightest with the rest of the interior being unchanged throughout the 20 year SN95 run... but I've seen dumber shit so..
Hope you get it sorted!

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
both the glove box and even the vent tube are out now. The mounting brackets where the bolts go through on the bottom physically hit the brace they are supposed to mount to while the front is still hanging out as shown. There isn't anything else in the way other then the bracket its supposed to mount to. I wondered if it bent the bracket when it went off but there is a center support right between the mounting bolts and the spot welds are still intact and the bar doesn't look bent. I would have also though if it had bent the bar, it would have bent it backwards to where the brackets would not meet but idunno. It doesn't make sense, hopefully the f4 bag fits....

FinnCobra

Reaction score
Bag shape is same, detonator resistance and connector is different between 94-95 and newer. I tried 94 bag in 2003, set code. I changed 96 bag but used black cover from 94, and connector from 2003.

Flade

Reaction score
94 - 98 are identical. Your dash must be screwed up somehow. You have to remove the glove box to install them, but they just slide in and a couple bolts hold them in place.

I seem to remember you have to told them a bit and rotate them into place. If you really just wanted to just put a cover there, Ford Motorsports sold a race only cover to replace the airbag.

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
94 - 98 are identical. Your dash must be screwed up somehow. You have to remove the glove box to install them, but they just slide in and a couple bolts hold them in place.

I seem to remember you have to told them a bit and rotate them into place. If you really just wanted to just put a cover there, Ford Motorsports sold a race only cover to replace the airbag.

Glove box and air tube are removed. I I can see every inch of the bottom of the bag.

So rotate clockwise or counter-clockwise? OR is it on the X-axis I rotate it lol?

Looking at the dash it looks like the under dash bar it mounts to was bent just a tad, probably just enough. Its stiff enough that pounding on it with my hammer doesn't do anything and trying to push it with just my body ends up pushing the car. Short of replacing the dash it looks like I will be making a cover one way or another. I sow the abs one made but its ugly as sin and I know I could make one out of the carbon fiber abs I already have or make it out of something else and skin it with cf.

Last edited:

Flade

Reaction score
Its a tight fit, so If the bar is bent at all, it won’t fit. How the heck did that bar get bent?

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Its a tight fit, so If the bar is bent at all, it won’t fit. How the heck did that bar get bent?
I assume when the bag went off but it doesn't make any sense to me that it pulled the bar forward. Seems to me that when the bag went off the force of the explosion would pull it the opposite direction to where the brackets would not meet. I already started plan b. This crap is just ugly as hell and way overpriced for a piece of abs and velcro.
lrs-04313e_73ced92d.jpg

not sure which way to go though I am considering skinning it in carbon fiber, or getting fancy with the cnc again.

trebor3170

Reaction score
Is that the one LMR sells for $40? I could make that with some scrap and a jig saw, and it wouldn't look any worse:p

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Is that the one LMR sells for $40? I could make that with some scrap and a jig saw, and it wouldn't look any worse:p
don't forget you have to bend it and abs is SUPER hard to bend :). I already made a cardboard template and ordered the material I want to use for it. Just deciding on a design...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
senior001

Members online