passenger air bag differences?

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
I’ve seen some guys take the airbag cover off and attach it to the dash so it looks stock, just no air bag.

trebor3170

Reaction score
I dunno, but I'm sure that LMR used to sell an air bag delete kit with the steering wheel pad and passenger side cover that looked just like the oem parts except for the ABS lettering.

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I thought there was a kit that looked like the old air bags and if there was and it was reasonable I would get it. I considered cutting the cover off of one of the bags I have but its a waste considering I can make something to cover it myself. Doing it myself also allows for some fun custom stuff so.... If you know anyone needing a passenger air bag please let me know.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Run a long wire to it and hit it with a battery. Find a small plastic Camaro to sit on top of it when you do it.

Then you can say you blew a Camaro away and won’t get in trouble for street racing!!!!! [emoji1787]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
My neighbors have plenty of fireworks left. Maybe they have one big enough to move the bar that 1/2"? Maybe I can just cut the launch charge off of a mortar style firework and mount that to the bar and set it off? I think I might be onto something and might have a reason to go live finally!

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I tried a hammer and it didn't budge. Good luck getting thor the BFH into that little hole to hit it.

Flade

Reaction score
You do t get the hammer in there, you use a long piece of steel or pipe as a drift. Place the drift against the bar. Hit the drift with BFH until it complies

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Or drill the bar, then use a dent puller. That will straighten it and build your forearms up more than banging that book on the phone with telemarketers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Nah F-that. Got the f4 bag in and its the same, doesn't fit so I am going to plan b and making my own cover. Again if you know anyone that needs a passenger air bag please let me know :)

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
started with cardboard
48327361146_aa8359cebc_b.jpg

now I am pulling out my secret weapons to make it cool.
48327361091_e223d4cc32_b.jpg

I have never done any inlaid lettering before. This seems like a fun time to try it while I am still waiting for the road repairs.

trebor3170

Reaction score
Waiting to see what you come up with, I'm sure it will be cool, or you wouldn't show us, right. You know the saying "When all else fails, hide all evidence that you tried":rolleyes:

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
step 2. Should I center it or put it off to the side?
48329922732_942aab516e_b.jpg

48329788031_d4983b9a56_b.jpg

It took almost 80 mins for the cnc to cut that. It went pretty quick with the 1/8" bit taking the majority of it out but after that it was the 1/32" bit getting in all the fine details that took over an hour.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
man I love my cnc... I was just doing this as a test to make sure I had my feed and spin speeds correctly and it looks really good.
48332967731_b2535d8cb3_b.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
so at this point I was happy, but I still needed to bend the whole thing to fit. I tried first with my heat gun and it was easy to heat up a section and bend it into place but then after I did 2-3 more small sections, the first one was way off. I tried to fix it but it became obvious I needed to heat the entire piece up at one time and bend it all at one time. I try to avoid using my kitchen for car projects but didn't have a choice this time so after baking it on the pan at 260 for 5 mins I was able to pick it up and it very easily bend into shape by placing it on the top of the other air bag cover that was protected with aluminum foil.
yQfblGN.jpg

Its hard to tell but Its actually laying on the stock bag in this pic.
gasMU7e.jpg

sexy feet huh? Its also hard to tell that the acrylic inlaid insert is in place there as well. I was worried that it would somehow mess up the bend but I am happy that it kept its shape and is just as tight now as before the oven. Now I can trim it, paint it, install the lighting and install the panel.

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
epoxied, painted, and only one complaint........
Lt89egS.jpg

for some reason the electroluminescent lighting sheet is aqua. I really don't hate the color all that much but it will not match any of other pieces I have put in the car. I have a blue film on its way now to fix that.
DSu59H8.jpg

I am really happy with out the outline of the pony came out lit up. When I finally start making stuff from aluminum I want to try and make a slightly smaller "5.0" out of aluminum to go on top of it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
senior001

Members online