Pi cam install in progress... Need some guidance

Burninriverdiver

Reaction score
Well I started installing PI cams in my 1996 2v. I read through [MENTION=7995]DropTopPony[/MENTION] s install guide and it was very helpful, however in my moment of stupidity I attempted it alone. I removed the passenger side cam and the gear wasn't held on tight enough with my C clamps. The new cam slid into place but the keyway is not lining up with the cam gear. When I lost tension on my C clamps I imagine I messed up the timing (marked the chain on the cam gear and they are still lined up). Is there any way to fix my mistake? I'm assuming I will have to take off the front chain cover and figure out how to reset the timing? Any input is appreciated and hopefully I didn't ruin my motor!

Keyway not lining up

My stupid ghetto rigged tension holder

Luckily I have months before I will be driving it again, but I'd like to get it back together soon

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Your chain tentioner is fully extended. Yes you will need to remove the cover.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Wait....did the cam orientate from the follwers tention? Do yourself a favor and remove the followers

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
You have most of the stuff already removed, why not pull the cover off and set the timing from scratch?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

03DSGGT

SN95 Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yea man, I would pull the cover and reset the timing just to be 100% positive. Better to do the extra work now and not later with replacing valves on top of it...

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
596967c977933b645c8350527c2ce409.jpg

Do your chains like this and then line up the marks on the sprokets to the chain links.

Take off chain tentioners, look them over good, now release the backlash arm by taking a thin flat screwdriver, pressing down on the backlash lock. Take a paper clip, insert into tiny hole when you get the tentioner piston completely compressed.

OP
OP
B

Burninriverdiver

Reaction score
Thanks a ton for all the replies! Glad to hear I'm not completely screwed. Looks like I'll be pulling the timing cover this week then. @96black54 I just put the pi cam in after removing the stock npi cam. It fell into place the same way the npi came out. The picture is the pi in with the front top bracket partially bolted down

OP
OP
B

Burninriverdiver

Reaction score
596967c977933b645c8350527c2ce409.jpg

Do your chains like this and then line up the marks on the sprokets to the chain links.

Take off chain tentioners, look them over good, now release the backlash arm by taking a thin flat screwdriver, pressing down on the backlash lock. Take a paper clip, insert into tiny hole when you get the tentioner piston completely compressed.

Thank you! I'm assuming the ends with the arrows will line up with the marks on the cam gear and crank then?

OP
OP
B

Burninriverdiver

Reaction score
@96black54 thanks for all the help man, I have no excuse to not get it right now

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
That video is great. I've always ran the cam down on top of the followers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Think of it as a learning experience!

First time I had my timing cover off I was a little intimidated but I followed instructions and it went back together rather easy.

OP
OP
B

Burninriverdiver

Reaction score
Think of it as a learning experience!

First time I had my timing cover off I was a little intimidated but I followed instructions and it went back together rather easy.

Yeah this whole thing has been a good learning experience.... Gotta do it to learn it! The first clutch I did was intimidating but easy, this is a whole new realm of intimidating, but it's all doable. Thanks for the great pi write up by the way

Wichers123

Reaction score
Woah woah did the chain jump on the cam gear? I see a line drawn as long as that didn't jump you can rotate the cam to line up with the key way. By the way are you doing this at dtc? Get the rockers out and turning the cam will be super easy. The drivers side will be even harder cause the tensioner is on the same side and for some reason it's not enough slack to get it back on the cam you have to get the tensioner back in alittle. I can do cam swaps in about 45mins. First time took me awhile to find the secrets.

OP
OP
B

Burninriverdiver

Reaction score
Woah woah did the chain jump on the cam gear? I see a line drawn as long as that didn't jump you can rotate the cam to line up with the key way. By the way are you doing this at dtc? Get the rockers out and turning the cam will be super easy. The drivers side will be even harder cause the tensioner is on the same side and for some reason it's not enough slack to get it back on the cam you have to get the tensioner back in alittle. I can do cam swaps in about 45mins. First time took me awhile to find the secrets.

The chain did not jump on the cam gear, and yes sir I made sure cylinder 1 was at top dead center before anything came apart. I'm going to do as you guys said and take the rockers out first, but I'm going to take the front cover off to make sure the chain didn't jump off the crank gear.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hazel113

Members online