Project: DOHC 98 GT

duh09

Legend
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Great stance. It looks really great with those Y2Ks.

Cobra bumper, smoked/black headlights/ and that thing would look mean as shell in DFG.

OP
OP
98green5.4

98green5.4

Reaction score
yeah, still thinkin about dfg. but i really like the color that comes on the new tahoes and silverados. its like a blue green mystic kinda thing.
my buddy works at a paint/body shop so i can get the hook up.

thanks.

oh yeah, does anybody know if caster camber plates move enough to fix cut coils?
never cut coils until now and it needs something to straighten up the wheels bad.

NXcoupe

Reaction score
Looks good, how about some engine pics?

Mean98GT

Reaction score
I say do a color that isnt common. Im with you on the mystic color on the new tahoes. This is a really unique build and deserves some unique paint. Good luck finishing this up. Cant wait to see the finished product. +1 with NX on the engine pics.

NXcoupe

Reaction score
Yes, cc plates are designed to do just that, but it looks like you went a little lower than most, so you will not get it to line up exactly in spec, but there is a possibility. I would use MM units.

OP
OP
98green5.4

98green5.4

Reaction score
yeah, i know that the cc plates are needed when you lower a car, some cars seem to get away with not running them on springs that don't lower it that much, i was just wondering since i lowered mine a lot more than most, would they even help out and get the wheel straight like it used to be.
Thanks NX.

i will get some engine pics up soon. i have some but they are after the motor was just dropped in.,and the car is pretty far past that step.

One more thing, i need someone that is pretty knowledgable with 4v cars. I have a 1998 GT, 1996 Cobra motor, and a 1996 cobra harness, and a 1998 gt computer in the car as of now. i have a 96 or 97 cobra computer to go with all of that, but i have heard that ll the 1998 cobra stuff is different than the 96-97 stuff that i have. its getting to be a confused bunch of numbers and to be honest, i'm just not too sure if all of it is just too different to make work. would it be easier to get a 98 cobra computer and 98 cobra harness.

Anyone else got other options?

someone with 4v brains please enlight me some.
Thanks Guys, Blake

OP
OP
98green5.4

98green5.4

Reaction score
well i need a bump, so here are some pics to check out while you read my post above this one :thumbsup:.

- older pics, but here is the 03-04 aluminum driveshaft. had to put a u joint on it that is smaller on one side than the other. parts guy called it a bastard joint. haha. also a mac catback which is now bolted up to an o/r mac H.
- and another pic of some work upfront that will need to be wire wheeled down and painted over. just a lot of surface rust on the bottom of the k member and core support.

1019091545.jpg

1019091548.jpg

OP
OP
98green5.4

98green5.4

Reaction score
One more thing, i need someone that is pretty knowledgable with 4v cars. I have a 1998 GT, 1996 Cobra motor, and a 1996 cobra harness, and a 1998 gt computer in the car as of now. i have a 96 or 97 cobra computer to go with all of that, but i have heard that the 1998 cobra stuff is different than the 96-97 stuff that i have. its getting to be a confused bunch of numbers and to be honest, i'm just not too sure if all of it is just too different to make work. would it be easier to get a 98 cobra computer and 98 cobra harness.

Anyone else got other options?

someone with 4v brains please enlight me some.
Thanks Guys, Blake

NXcoupe

Reaction score
The harnesses shouldn't be different enough to cause any problems. Both computers are OBD2 and have the same pinouts madated for OBD2 I believe. If the car starts and runs, it can be tuned with the current computer with either a chip(not recommended) or a programmer(recommended). I believe you should be able to make it go. I also know that you can use a 2V harness and computer to run a 4V with no issues. I had a customer come in with a 98 GT that had an -04 Mach 1 engine in it, and he was convinced it had a mach one computer in it as well. I finally had to pull the kick panel and look, and there was his stock 2V computer in there. I tuned it using 2V parameters and made killer power with it. He was happy and all his drivability concerns went away. Hope this helps some. You did do a delete plate on this right? If not your secondary air valve plates, IMRC, could be hooked up to an rpm activated switch and a wire ran to the factory solenoid. It works pretty well for some guys around here.

OP
OP
98green5.4

98green5.4

Reaction score
alright. well we have a 98 harness and computer coming, both being cobra stuff. we'll have to see. i hear what you're saying about all the tuning and that's what will happen to the car anyway. but some stuff isn't working on the car that should be and i would bet money that its because the harness and computer just don't see it.

and the imrc's are getting deleted anyway.
thanks, Blake

NXcoupe

Reaction score
I would have just left your 96 harness on it and been done with it. I think if you have stuff not working then it is a result of the mismatched harnesses for the year of your car. the only difference in wiring between a 4V and a 2V is the IMRC's. That's it. Bot have coolant temp sensors, iac/mass air meter, tps, iabvalve, etc. They even pick up the cam and crank position the exact same way. the 4V's had knock sensors, but that's a waste of time using those anyway. Good luck with it.

OP
OP
98green5.4

98green5.4

Reaction score
yeah, we'll see what happens with it.

either way a cobra harness and computer will be sold since we have no use for an extra set.

today i'm puttinga radiator in it... i guess the car sitting for almost a year with the radiator open got to it. car tries to run hot and we've ran it down to the radiator.
more updates later on.

Blake

OP
OP
98green5.4

98green5.4

Reaction score
Update.
11/4
good new today.

Thought the car was trying to run hot all this time. Radiator stopped up or something. but it turns out that the temperature sensor for the gauge in the cluster is the only problem. we hooked up a snap on diagnostics scanner to the car and it was reading around 190. the car was saying that it was hot as fire on the cluster for temperature. so i hooked up a test light on the e fan plug because we also thought that was part of the wiring that was different. well when it reached 207 degrees, the light lit up to my surprise. so i hooked up the fan and put it in its place (with zipties for now, ran a 96 radiator on a 98.. 96 is shorter) and it started operating fine. had to go by the scanner though but it was deffintaly not lying like that cluster gauge was. Glad that is behind me, that was starting to be a pain, and getting kinda hard to figure out what the deal is. just one of those things you never think of going bad on you.

and here are some recent pics of the motor, also a video of it running with the scanner readings vs the cluster reading.

1104091752.jpg

1104091752a.jpg

1104091753.jpg

http://s86.photobucket.com/albums/k100/monster_energy32/?action=view&current=cobrarunning.flv

dafizuck

Reaction score
Nice man... bet that feels pretty cool to have a cobra motor sitting in there. Good progress.

OP
OP
98green5.4

98green5.4

Reaction score
dafizuck said:
Nice man... bet that feels pretty cool to have a cobra motor sitting in there. Good progress.

yeah deffinatly!

haha, its good to know that it is pretty close to being drivable, if not now. just work some some things out of it and most likely use the 96 cobra stuff and get it tuned with some stuff deleted like the imrc stuff.

thanks for the good words though
Blake

NXcoupe

Reaction score
See!? I knew it would work with what you had. It should lay down some pretty good power to, hope you are surprised.

OP
OP
98green5.4

98green5.4

Reaction score
oh yeah, i hope it will :)

and it was running before, my dad was thinking that the 98 stuff would help it out since the fan and all wasn't working at the time, but i was telling him basically what you were saying, that you can tune it and get it right. it has ran before with no problem, just not under operating temp, at least that's what we thought. it was probably working the whole time, just the fans wouldn't kick on since the gauge had us scared. hooked that scanner up and it showed the light... hahaa

OP
OP
98green5.4

98green5.4

Reaction score
Drove the car yesterday.

imrc's were all the way closed. no o2 sensors. things like that just made it bog down and have no low end. but delete plates will be going on soon so it should be fine. it was still a fun drive. Its getting close!!! Anybody have some good tag ideas? I think ga alloows 7 letters on a custom tag, but idk. i was thinkin about JUSTAGT or DOHCGT.

OP
OP
98green5.4

98green5.4

Reaction score
Today i put the 98 cobra computer in the car. I had a guy that me and my dad know come hook up his laptop and he ran some program on the car that made the computer and everything read pass the pats system and all is well with the car except for the fact that imrc's. I'm pretty sure the knock sensor is reading now since the cobra computer is in.

and I'm starting to install audio stuff into the car now. eclipse headunit is in (cd3000) and i have some MB quart dsd216 components. i picked it all up really cheap, and its good stuff.

And... my AFS chrome Cobra wheels came in today. 18x10.5.

afscobrawheels34.jpg

just got a pic of one of them, but there is two. and i have 2 fronts to make a set. 18x9's and 10.5's in chrome. 18's too. FTW.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stillridin

Members online