Random fuel shut-off while driving.

OP
OP
Jason.Silus

Jason.Silus

Reaction score
this test was to see if there was some kind of supply issue. Sometimes charging the line 2x will give enough fuel pressure for it to fire and show that there is an issue.
Ah, I understand now. Regardless, I have tried just letting the fuel pump prime a few times before starting, and it doesn't fix. :(

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
sometimes priming it for longer helps and when it does it can mean your pump isn't supplying enough, the filter isn't letting enough by, or that you have a small leak on the hose inside of the gas tank to the hat so that as it leaks it stays in the tank so you will never see it. Next time it dies try it and see if it starts up.

Procharged87

Reaction score
Any chance it has larger injectors than stock? Can you see the top of the injectors? If so, what color are they? That will tell you if the are stock or larger. IF you have larger injectors, you could possibly be flooding the motor when you try to crank it. I have 42lb injectors in mine and, even though I have a great tune, I occasionally have issues with it starting. To alleviate the issue, i hold the throttle to the floor when starting and that is supposed to shut off any fuel being injected at startup. You have to get off the pedal as soon as it cranks though.

Monday

Reaction score
I'm getting a fuel pressure guage soon, but I wanted to try and start the car today and this happened. Similar problem as usual, car acts like it's out of gas even though it isn't. I figured want to get a fuel pressure gauge in line, but I've begun to think I put too much faith in the shop that installed the fuel pump, and they did it incorrectly.
Have you tested your Speed Sensor yet?

What about the other things I suggested??

Maybe you don't wanna learn this stuff???

Notthenow

Reaction score
I think Iwarrior was referring to just a fuel pressure test gauge. You don't need a full blown interior fuel pressure gauge. Check it idling and revving by opening the throttle. Look for pressure drop. Then shut off and watch. If it makes 39psi and holds it after shut off the pump and check valve are good. Cars that stall when hot due to fuel are suffering from vapor lock because there is low pump pressure. Last, yes you could have hot relay cutout, but low pressure is the most likely. Always check pressure first before going down the rabbit hole IMO.

OP
OP
Jason.Silus

Jason.Silus

Reaction score
Have you tested your Speed Sensor yet?

What about the other things I suggested??

Maybe you don't wanna learn this stuff???
I will test my iac and pcv, but as said, fairly certain it's a fuel issue. today is looking really nice outside, so I've got a chance to try out a bunch of the suggestions. I also plan on dropping the fuel tank to see if I can find anything wrong with the fuel pump, as it's a long process and I'm much rather get it started asap. I'm limited on materials and time, so things progress slowly.

OP
OP
Jason.Silus

Jason.Silus

Reaction score
So an update: I dropped the fuel tank, and had a friend turn the key while the pump was plugged in, but the hoses were disconnected. After two turns of the key, the pump started to spit out fuel as intended. I plugged everything back in, and tried to start the car and it wouldn't start. I tilted the tank to the side that the fuel pump is on, and it started right up.

Also, I was under the impression that there is a hose at the bottom of the fuel pump to reach the bottom of the tank. Am I mistaken, or that how it should be?

Edit: I watched an install video, and when removing the fuel pump, they were careful not to damage the sock. My pump has no such attachment on it.

Last edited:

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
So an update: I dropped the fuel tank, and had a friend turn the key while the pump was plugged in, but the hoses were disconnected. After two turns of the key, the pump started to spit out fuel as intended. I plugged everything back in, and tried to start the car and it wouldn't start. I tilted the tank to the side that the fuel pump is on, and it started right up.

Also, I was under the impression that there is a hose at the bottom of the fuel pump to reach the bottom of the tank. Am I mistaken, or that how it should be?

Edit: I watched an install video, and when removing the fuel pump, they were careful not to damage the sock. My pump has no such attachment on it.
It needs the screen/sock on the bottom of it. That’s where it picks up fuel

OP
OP
Jason.Silus

Jason.Silus

Reaction score
It should be able to, as long as the pump was below the fuel level
That would explain why it would only die when the fuel was getting low or I was going uphill. Thanks for all the help, this has been an ongoing problem for the last year, that I've spent about a year throwing money at.

Can anybody explain to me what the rubber piece at the end is? I think it's something that was on there during packaging, that whatever dumbass installed it left on, but I wouldn't want to throw away a potentially good part.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peasant99

Members online