Rio Red 98 GT Build

Boostr1

Reaction score
Freakn' great build, read the whole thread... Especially doing the majority of the work yourself. Some of your welds look questionable (*cough* the ones on the transmission crossmember brackets *cough*) or did you weld them all the way around, but if they've been holding this long whom am I to judge.

Boostr1

Reaction score
So after criticizing you welding skills, can you tell me how far down you tightened those PTFE braided fuel line fittings? Did you bottom out the top piece to the bottom piece or did you leave a gap?

OP
OP
lwarrior1016

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
So after criticizing you welding skills, can you tell me how far down you tightened those PTFE braided fuel line fittings? Did you bottom out the top piece to the bottom piece or did you leave a gap?

Thank you, first off, and second off, the trans mounts are only tacked up. They have been holding really well. I did that intentionally so I wouldn’t burn the car down. With solid engine mounts, there isn’t too much twisting going on back there.

Also, when building lines (that is part of my daily job description), you want to leave a gap up there. Some will tighten further than others, but you definitely do not want to force them to tighten all the way down.

Boostr1

Reaction score
Thank you, first off, and second off, the trans mounts are only tacked up. They have been holding really well. I did that intentionally so I wouldn’t burn the car down. With solid engine mounts, there isn’t too much twisting going on back there.

Well ok I see the method to your madness...

Also, when building lines (that is part of my daily job description), you want to leave a gap up there. Some will tighten further than others, but you definitely do not want to force them to tighten all the way down.

I think that's how I screwed up my line, thanks for the input. I'll be trying this again this week, but with Fragola fittings and hose. No more mix and matching for me. learned my leason.:D

OP
OP
lwarrior1016

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
Well ok I see the method to your madness...

I think that's how I screwed up my line, thanks for the input. I'll be trying this again this week, but with Fragola fittings and hose. No more mix and matching for me. learned my leason.:D

Eh, I mix and match sometimes. I’m in the process of redoing my whole system but it’s some fragola, some aeroquip, some racetronix, and some non name brand.

Boostr1

Reaction score
Eh, I mix and match sometimes. I’m in the process of redoing my whole system but it’s some fragola, some aeroquip, some racetronix, and some non name brand.

I was using a no name brand Braided PTFE hose (cause it was cheap...probably the problem), and I think summit fittings. They just didn't feel right. I took the cross threaded top piece of the fitting off but couldn't get the bottom piece and olive off the hose no matter what I tried. Couldn't even twist it.

OP
OP
lwarrior1016

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
After getting the coolant system sorted out, and the throttle cab figured out, it was basically time to start tuning. I ran in to a bunch of issues with it. The biggest problem I had was getting the cam positions to read and the tivct to work. The intake cam position sensors are hall sensors and have a voltage input. The documentation isn’t very clear on those as to what voltage they get, so I gave them 12v and melted one. Decided to try 5v after replacing the sensor and then it worked. The other sensor didn’t melt but it shorted internally (found that out when trying to tune more). Got them both replaced and wired with 5v and they started working. So now I needed to drive it some.

First drive to work
2BEC5BF9-9F54-4C78-A963-F232848E0F8B.jpeg

And the first bath after getting it driving
D519BFFA-ACEB-48FC-8647-899699EBB2B4.jpeg

OP
OP
lwarrior1016

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
Drove it to work a bunch and realized I didn’t like the exhaust. It was loud and obnoxious even when driving easy. It was long tubes with an x pipe and bassani mufflers.

OP
OP
lwarrior1016

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
The coyotes get loud quick. I just put a set of axlebacks on my 18 and am almost afraid to see what a mid pipe will do.
They absolutely do! I have a friend that’s got a 14 gt with just axleback and stock midpipe, it sounds perfect volume wise. I’ve been thinking about resonators or cats, even with the new mufflers I have on it. More updates tomorrow! Lol

OP
OP
lwarrior1016

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
That exhaust was too much for me, so I decided to do a new setup. Ditch the x pipe and go for an h pipe with flowmaster flow fx mufflers. They are built identical to the magnaflow mufflers, and I really like the magnaflows. 70AB9544-A80A-4A9F-B665-C3FBE2179369.jpeg
Pulled the old setup out
4B381229-D1DE-4DDC-B457-7C4051112F53.jpeg
I don’t have any pictures of the process but I used a universal pipe kit from eBay that had some bends in it. And built the new midpipe
83038033-DDC7-4894-B80A-5DC102460FF4.jpeg
C84C8153-6A6B-413D-9AB6-B7B32A0B8C35.jpeg

Addicted

Reaction score
It's really hard to beat the sound of a flowmaster. Ive had 2 different cat-backs from them already. BTW warrior, the car sounds awesome, great work!

OP
OP
lwarrior1016

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
It's really hard to beat the sound of a flowmaster. Ive had 2 different cat-backs from them already. BTW warrior, the car sounds awesome, great work!
I really don’t like the traditional flowmaster sound though. I like the smoother sound of the magnaflow mufflers, and these are built identical. The sound is the same but they are half the price. It was win win.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Canaryonvskf’s