shift lights

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Is there a reason why they are all so big? I can understand that halogen lights needed more room then modern leds and then a lot of them have the controls built into it but with leds as bright as they are now there it seems like they could make them smaller. I would love to find one with a hide away unit for the controls and a small light module to find an easy place to put it. Anyone seen such an item?

03DSGGT

SN95 Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a Raptor shift light hidden in my A/C vent. You cant even tell that its in there until it lights up, and its not that big IMO.

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I was thinking I have space to mount one in the clock pod I am modifying but the vent might work.

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
On the same topic, and given your electronic ability, is there a way to have a shift light that varies depending on what gear you're in?

Don't call me stupid just yet.

So you get the car on the dyno, and you see your peak torque is at 4000 rpm. You want to shift and drop back to that peak torque.

So you do some tooling around and find that at your best, 1-2 you drop 1750 rpm, 2-3 you drop 2000, and 3-4 you drop 1500.

In theory, you would want to shift 1-2 at 5750, 2-3 at 6000, and 3-4 at 5500.

Albeit, I know you're not necessarily the grudge racer on the forum, I still think this would be a neat functionality.

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Great idea ^

I think so too, I just know it's pretty involved because of how much goes into making it happen, but once you get it dialed in, I would think it could be a pinnacle piece in cutting times down

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
yea neat idea but it would be a good amount of work. Either with the switches/sensors that would be mounted around the stick to know what gear its in or with some kind of speed sensor to know, and then linking that to the ideal rpm for that gear to trip at the right speed.

I have been thinking more about just taking a regular shift light apart to wire up an led or two for what I need. Would be helpful to know if the light was a modular design that could be taken apart rather then a molded piece that was never meant to be.

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
I have a Raptor shift light hidden in my A/C vent. You cant even tell that its in there until it lights up, and its not that big IMO.

Same here. I think it's a great hiding place.
It does make it inconvienment to change the settings but how often does that happen.

03DSGGT

SN95 Supporting Member
Reaction score
Same here. I think it's a great hiding place.
It does make it inconvienment to change the settings but how often does that happen.

Yea that would be my only complaint. Ive changed it at the track a couple times when I was figuring out the engine setup and I always cringe when I'm pulling out the radio bezel because I picture it breaking in half lol

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
any chance you guys could get some pics of what you have or can see?

So far my searches I came up with this one that would be easy to do but it looks extremely cheap and there is something about installing a part in my car with the brand name "violence" that seems off....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/33133111861...9&_trkparms=gh1g=I331331118611.N36.S1.R2.TR16

And of course the techy that I am can't help but wonder if I could modify this one by taking the leds off the board to put where I want them...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/26201722344...9&_trkparms=gh1g=I262017223446.N36.S2.R1.TR16

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
I was afraid you were going to ask that.
The pics I have are on photobucket and my company is blocking PB.
If you PM me your number I can txt them straight to you, Or I can post them to the SN FB page. your choice. I just can't post them here till I get home.

Mustanger

Reaction score
I put a Raptor shift light right on top of my steering column in direct line of sight. I used a small patch of industrial velcro to mount it rather than screws. At first a hot summer day would melt the sticky backing but my shop used something REALLY STRONG (I don't want to know!) & it is stuck good now...easy to run the wires into the dash there and so effective in use with no shifting your eyes! A perfect location for me, I just use my peripheral vision while racing & keep my eyes on the road!

castine917

Reaction score
On the same topic, and given your electronic ability, is there a way to have a shift light that varies depending on what gear you're in?

Don't call me stupid just yet.

So you get the car on the dyno, and you see your peak torque is at 4000 rpm. You want to shift and drop back to that peak torque.

So you do some tooling around and find that at your best, 1-2 you drop 1750 rpm, 2-3 you drop 2000, and 3-4 you drop 1500.

In theory, you would want to shift 1-2 at 5750, 2-3 at 6000, and 3-4 at 5500.

Albeit, I know you're not necessarily the grudge racer on the forum, I still think this would be a neat functionality.

Multiple lights. Setup Different color for different rpm.

EVILSN

Reaction score
I have a raptor also. Super easy to use and extremely bright.

Sent from my iPhone using My dick

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cwacaser

Members online