Spring isolator, can I leave them out?

Duff

Reaction score
I'm changing out springs soon, and wondered if anyone leaves out the spring isolators, I think mine are in bad shape or even missing. ( I haven't checked it too closely).

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
it depends on how low you want it to go. If you do take them out at the very least put a couple layers of electrical tape and it will help reduce noise.

OP
OP
Duff

Duff

Reaction score
Yes, I'm taking the lowering springs out and going back to stock.

Michael Plummer

Reaction score
My opinion,
Without isolators, you have metal-on-metal contact, and NVH (noise, vibration, harshness) will increase and this will affect your ride quality. I've read about people using an inner tube, electrical tape to help lower the NVH but honestly, do it the right way, and buy the right part for the job. I'm sure if you check CJ Pony Parts, LMR, or MM they sell spring isolators for your vehicle.

If you're looking for a certain ride height do it the correct way, get coil-overs where your ride height is adjustable or purchase an air ride suspension. And for the budget-minded, purchase a spring that gives you something close to the ride height you're looking for and use new spring isolators.

Good luck
Michael Plummer

OP
OP
Duff

Duff

Reaction score
My opinion,
Without isolators, you have metal-on-metal contact, and NVH (noise, vibration, harshness) will increase and this will affect your ride quality. I've read about people using an inner tube, electrical tape to help lower the NVH but honestly, do it the right way, and buy the right part for the job. I'm sure if you check CJ Pony Parts, LMR, or MM they sell spring isolators for your vehicle.

If you're looking for a certain ride height do it the correct way, get coil-overs where your ride height is adjustable or purchase an air ride suspension. And for the budget-minded, purchase a spring that gives you something close to the ride height you're looking for and use new spring isolators.

Good luck
Michael Plummer
All good points, I hadn't thought about coil overs, I'll look into those. I had no luck in finding finding stock 95 Cobra convertible springs ( 400 rate & 160 rate), so I'm looking at Moog that fit a 95 GT convertible, they have 383 & 174 rates.

Michael Plummer

Reaction score
Trying to find the exact OEM spring rate is not going to be easy but without going into a long drawn-out discussion on spring rates just remember anything that adds or removes weight from a car will affect the optimal stiffness of a spring. So with that in mind I'll leave you with this. A higher spring rate reduces body roll, but it will produce a harsher ride. A softer spring rate will improve ride quality, but it will also enable the tires to follow uneven road surfaces for improved grip.

Good luck
Michael Plummer

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
To answer your question: yes, you “can” leave them off. The wear and tear of the metal to metal is gradual and minimal or so I’ve read herein. But…

My unsolicited $.02 …… yes, I would still do the isolators. In all honesty, I don’t think they do “much”, but at least they serve as a barrier to metal-on-metal between spring and spring perch for very little money. IMO, they cannot hurt, so why not? And rubber vs polyurethane? They’re both gonna wear down and need replacing eventually, so pick your poison! Neither makes a huge difference in ride quality particularly in a stock suspension application.

Again, just my $.02 !

Last edited:

Methodical

Reaction score
How low is the ride? Were the springs cut or new springs. I installed MM adjustable coilovers and this was the best option for me because I needed to be able to adjust the ride height so I get the exact dimensions I wanted and have the ability to make sure each side is level. I removed the isolators of course. Plus, this is not a ride where folks are sitting in the back. I like a tight (not stiff) ride and don't care for spongy. The MM allows me to dial in exactly what I need to get the ride and height I want.

Last edited:

badass98svt

Reaction score
Your spring isolators are long gone if you're running coilovers. No need for an isolator if there's no spring in the perch.

OP
OP
Duff

Duff

Reaction score
Well, all the stuff is here, springs, isolators, shocks and struts, I'll do it one day next Week.

Attachments

• New Springs.jpg
    New Springs.jpg
    350.5 KB · Views: 15

J_lope82

Reaction score
Cut the springs only one coil and install new isolators. I wouldn’t drive it without the isolators.

OP
OP
Duff

Duff

Reaction score
I'm going to run stock first, if too high I'll cut a coil, just did that on my 71 Mach, has a good stance now. Thanks!

OP
OP
Duff

Duff

Reaction score
Other than American Muscle sending the wrong struts, things went well, car rides sooo much better, had an alignment done, it's all good.

J_lope82

Reaction score
Did you install the new springs with or without insulators ?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Duff

Duff

Reaction score
I installed new insulators and also the factory rubber sleeves that fits inside the coils, maybe they're a damper? If I would've had help, I wouldn't needed a spring compressor, but working alone and being ancient, I couldn't push the control arm down far enough to get the spring in the seat, only lacked a half inch, but it was a no go for me. I had an internal spring compressor from putting springs in my 71 Mach 1, it really wasn't made for this job, it was tight slipping in, but had to disassemble the compressor when done, and take it out in pieces thru the control arm hole.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hazel113

Members online