Suspension and tire advice

searay86

Reaction score
I'm running in STP at the moment with my 98 gt and I think I want to stay here. I have ran in 4 events so far! Currently running some cheap lowering setup ( doesn't even sit level :( ) and with OEM 8×17in rims. I'm looking into coilovers and a staggered setup with 9s in the front and 10.5 in the rear. Advice or others setups would be appreciated!

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Staggered wheels will cause a bit of relearning as it totally changes how the steering feels and reacts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
S

searay86

Reaction score
Will it be worth it in the long run? I don't have that much experience to lose lol.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
It creates more of an Understeer condition. On road courses the turns can generally still be managed with a little learning. In autocross it can be a little tighter so you will need to learn to adjust your entry and exit points in the turns.

OP
OP
S

searay86

Reaction score
Goal- be more competitive in cone racing, including more experience
Budget- I don't really have a limit but I'm not going to go out and buy everything my car needs right now lol. I'd like to do it in phases

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Replace front and rear lower control arms. The factories flex to much which allows the geometry of the suspension to get all out of whack

Reaction score
Get a phb or watts and full length subframe connectors if you dont have them yet. Also some good 200tw tires like falken azenis 615k+ or Bridgestone something that i dont remember what its called.

OP
OP
S

searay86

Reaction score
Replace front and rear lower control arms. The factories flex to much which allows the geometry of the suspension to get all out of whack

Any recommendations on what brand? I'm sure that'll help my case

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
S

searay86

Reaction score
Get a phb or watts and full length subframe connectors if you dont have them yet. Also some good 200tw tires like falken azenis 615k+ or Bridgestone something that i dont remember what its called.
The car came with subframe connectors so I'm good there. I have been looking at tires but I only have 8in right now. Should I wait to get some thing wider?

OP
OP
S

searay86

Reaction score
AND is it true replacing the stock cats with 2 high flow cats will wake the car up? Want to make sure before I spend 400 on exhaust.

Thanks for the help!

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
The high flowing cats may move torque output a little higher up in the rpm, but no real hp will be gained....maybe 5-10hp. If the car still has the stock intake manifold, adding anything to improve hp is only a foward step in hopes to replace the pathetic intake with something better. The stock npi manifold just sux.

Dang... $400? Ouch! I guess you live where there is smog nazi?

OP
OP
S

searay86

Reaction score
Alright I'll put exhaust on my list but not a priority lol. Its 400 because I need a cated setup to stay in SCCA STP

ReplicaR

Reaction score
What are the limitations of STP? Knowing which class you race in, and what are the rules will definitely help you narrow down your modifications.

PinkieT

Reaction score
Like 96blk54 said, best power bang for the buck seems to be a PI intake. There is a little extra work that needs to be done to fit one to PI heads but is doable in your driveway. Get a good used factory OEM or Ford Racing intake, avoid aftermarket (Dorman, etc.) intakes as they don't flow as well. However, if chasing cones is the goal, a stiff chassis and a great suspension with moderate power should give you better results than great power and a moderate suspension. Somebody please correct me here if I'm wrong. Also, don't forget the brakes!

Me, I haunt the local Craigslists for parts. I got a set of BBK shorty headers and an off road X pipe for $150. Cats are required where I live so I'm going to go with aftermarket cats on the pipes I already have. I got lowering springs, larger throttle bodies and plenums, front strut tower and rear shock tower braces, and other goodies cheap by being patient and keeping my eyes open. I tried to look up the class rules to see what you can do and not do but no luck, sorry. I would pass on used struts and shocks, unless you know their entire history and are 100% sure they are low mileage unabused pieces.

OP
OP
S

searay86

Reaction score
SCCA Requirements (Page 71 start STP)

Like 96blk54 said, best power bang for the buck seems to be a PI intake.
To my understanding my only modification I can do is a cold air intake (I have a BBK CAI right now)

I watch cragslist and facebook marketplace for parts everyday.. I have only found my CAI and s281 wing :(

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I thought it was a pretty limited class. I was thinking you would not be able to do much, if any of the mods, listed.

A good set of shocks and struts and a good square 17x9 setup with 200 TW tires will help a lot.

OP
OP
S

searay86

Reaction score
I thought it was a pretty limited class. I was thinking you would not be able to do much, if any of the mods, listed.

A good set of shocks and struts and a good square 17x9 setup with 200 TW tires will help a lot.
That's why I'm liking this class it's mostly stock cars with some mods. Any preferred struts? And is it better to stick with 9" all around than a staggered setup?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hazel113

Members online