suspension

MuscleInc1320

Reaction score
i am trying to pick a suspension setup that will work best in my application. i got a 94 5.0 5 speed with some bolts on but stock suspension. i was wondering if going with the koni sport suspension package from Jegs with be a good setup up? it comes with both front and rear koni yellows fully adjustable and some lowering springs for $679. i was also looking to get some upper and lower control arms from grantelli with some BBK caster/camber plates. if i had any money left i woud like to get some DRs also. My major problem is that i am only working with a $1000-$1300. Any advise i could get from you guys on this combo would be great, or if any of you know of a better setup?

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
that's a good start.

I would recommend you get the LCA's from Maxumum Motorsports, and just the lowers.
keep the stock uppers in. Hard bushinged uppers cause bind, and stay away from "cheap" suspension parts.
I've learned this from my own experience.

ga94gt

Reaction score
I know a few of my friends have used UPR and I have been impressd. But It sounds like a good set up you were thinking of going with. Like Dalamar said stay way from the cheap stuff.

Suspect

Reaction score
+1 on MM and might as well get the c/c plates from them too. SS has em and im sure u can get a discount since they are one of our sponsors. btw koni makes awesome shocks and struts. O0

OP
OP
M

MuscleInc1320

Reaction score
sense this car is my daily driver and i drag race it on the weekends....would it be better to get adj. LCA and UCA or solid? i have heard that solid tend to be more reliable and the bushing last longer.

Suspect

Reaction score
up to you. adjustable if ur gonna run a big tire in the rear on race days.

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
okay, this is a subject a lot of ppl overlook,
Drag only cars, 4-link rears with solid bushings are ok.

your car's a Street Driver "daily" uppers with solid bushings will cause bind, as I stated above.
it can't articulate freely when going through dips and stuff, especially under torque.
Don't belive the advertising - they just want your money.

Stock or FFRP uppers if your's are shot, with MM lowers will make a big difference, and still allow your axle to move durring street driving.

The LCA's will keep the axle centered better,
Less axle deflection = better traction.
Maximum motorsports uses better bushings and machining, as well as good material for a strong piece that is relatively light wieght.

I suggest you go on MM's site and do some reading.
their info is REAL - I always recommend them after the fiasco I went through.
They're really helpfull on the phone also.

I'm not ragging for no reason. I wasted a lot of time and money with "affordable" parts, that you'll end up replacing anyway.
do it right, do it once.
anyway, I hope this is helpfull.

CanaryGT

Reaction score
I just bought MM LCA from SS and I should get them in this week... Im kinda excited.... :D

NYC94GT

Reaction score
MuscleInc1320 said:
i am trying to pick a suspension setup that will work best in my application. i got a 94 5.0 5 speed with some bolts on but stock suspension. i was wondering if going with the koni sport suspension package from Jegs with be a good setup up? it comes with both front and rear koni yellows fully adjustable and some lowering springs for $679. i was also looking to get some upper and lower control arms from grantelli with some BBK caster/camber plates. if i had any money left i woud like to get some DRs also. My major problem is that i am only working with a $1000-$1300. Any advise i could get from you guys on this combo would be great, or if any of you know of a better setup?
My advice is stick with ONE Company! Don't jump around with parts. Maximum, Steeda, Saleen, Griggs (Griggs is although drastic and expensive) etc.. is the best way to ensure the parts are spec'd correctly.

96sohc

Reaction score
Koni Yellows are single adjustable.
I'd forget the BBK c/c plates, the pair I had absolutely sucked, as well as the Granatelli parts; other than that you're on the right track.

NYC94GT said:
Griggs (Griggs is although drastic and expensive)

There is a reason for that; you get what you pay for.

Paul

Legend
Reaction score
Koni Yellows are not always SA. I have Koni Yellow DAs on my racecar.

96sohc

Reaction score
Then I stand corrected, I was under the impression all yellow Konis were SA.

OP
OP
M

MuscleInc1320

Reaction score
well i have been checking prices at alot of different companies and wut i have found is that quality parts cost about the same everywhere. but i dd hear of this newer company called BrandTRacing, located out in palmdale CA. they custom make most of there own parts and they offer a kit which includes both solid upper and lower control arms for $230. the uppers have rubber bushings while the bottem has urethane. i am going to drive out there and take a look at them as soon as i can but the whole thing sounds like a good deal to me. oh and if anyone knows of any feedback on this company let me know. thanx

NYC94GT

Reaction score
96sohc said:
Then I stand corrected, I was under the impression all yellow Konis were SA.
I think that's the Koni Reds. I have the Yellow DA's for my coilover set up and they are adjusted on the top and bottom of the strut for compression and rebound. Much better adjustment than say Tokico or KYB...

OP
OP
M

MuscleInc1320

Reaction score
is that kit any certain brand name or just a kit that website put together?

Anrev

Reaction score
Its a Stang Suspension kit. Its theirs. Not someone elses that they pieced together.

NYC94GT

Reaction score
96sohc said:
Koni Yellows are single adjustable.
I'd forget the BBK c/c plates, the pair I had absolutely sucked, as well as the Granatelli parts; other than that you're on the right track.

NYC94GT said:
Griggs (Griggs is although drastic and expensive)

There is a reason for that; you get what you pay for.
i KNOW, i DID, i PAID.... :behind: But.... the car handles like a MOFO! Better than any setup and I would think on par with Maimium Motorsports.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cwacaser

Members online