Tail of the Dragon

OP
OP
Saint

Saint

Reaction score
whatever car im in ill be there..im going to look at a forumla 4th gen this weekend..figured somethin rare would be good to look at..guess ill have to dust off my mullet wig..paha..hope this will be a huge turnout.

Same here man...Thats why I'm allowing other cars to cruise with us on the dragon lol...it's all about a good time!

Marvin97

Reaction score
We have always stayed here on our trips to The Gap http://www.fontanavillage.com/ Its not too far from the motorcycle resort, which has some great food. It's also only about 15-20miles from the nearest town/gas station. But Fontana Village is on a section of Deals Gap called the Hellbender, so no having to get up and drive an hour to get to it. I have been with other groups like the mustang mafia of north america, and they always stay in pigeon forge and drive to the gap, but it seems like a waste to only ride it down and back up like that. If I go, that's where I'll be staying. They have lodge rooms, cabins, and campsites. We camped out once last year, was $25 to camp for the whole weekend. Just my $.02

Marvin97

Reaction score
Also, not sure if it matters to anyone, but there is also NO cell phone service while on the gap. Some people have been able to get a signal up at the lodge but its hit and miss. The mountains also make walkies and radar detectors pretty much useless, and unless driving it after 5pm there WILL be state police sitting on it in a few places, waiting to hand out tickets to speeders. It gets fun after 5pm though :)

JStang98

Reaction score
Notice:

Spring date will be April 21-22...............Fall Date will be September 8-9

Since it's sort of in the middle...maybe it wont be so HOT :D

If thats cool with everyone then I'll adjust the dates in the main post an pm all members on the list to go

I figured a Sat and Sun meet will be best attendance wise..Thanks everyone

Id like to meet up but looks like ill miss y'all by about a week, the weekend of the 12-15th of april ill be in pigeon forge TN for the spring rod runs which is just a big car show about an hour and a half from the dragons tail.

shorty

Reaction score
Anyone who has been to this. are the police or state troopers pretty hot down this road?

OP
OP
Saint

Saint

Reaction score
Anyone who has been to this. are the police or state troopers pretty hot down this road?

Yes...they will only stop you for like doing like 10mph over the speed limit or if they catch you crossing double lines to take a curve, which is a no no anways ...but they aren't around every turn.

Remember we will be representing SN95Forums!!!

Important:

I'll get a loding list put together soon... initial meeting point details will also be out this week!

svt slobra

Reaction score
i will drive like a grandpa when im with the crew, but after this is over and before i head home im gonna give this road a go and see what my car is made of

OP
OP
Saint

Saint

Reaction score
i will drive like a grandpa when im with the crew, but after this is over and before i head home im gonna give this road a go and see what my car is made of

*pressing imaginary face book like button*

I'm planing on doing the same before we all meet up...I'm working on a word document now to pm everyone about lodging and meet times

quentins94gt

Reaction score
My wife and i would like to be put down as maybe have to see if i can get the time off from work was just down there 2 weeks ago and it was beautiful the whole time we were there

quentins94gt

Reaction score
There is a decent drag strip just outside Gatlinburg that i used to run at that opens in April might be fun to take some cars over and do some running if anyone is interested

OP
OP
Saint

Saint

Reaction score
I was just on my other Mustang forum and they are planning a dragon run on April 28th.
the OP already has aprox 40 cars lined up.
Here is a link if you want to contact the guy heading it up.
Maybe one of you can be flexible and make it 1 huge event instead of 2 smaller ones.
http://www.elitestangs.com/forum/sh...gs-take-on-Tail-of-the-Dragon-April-28th-2012

The only issue about linking up with them is....40+ cars on the dragon....Parking for a photoshoot will be a PITA!!! When we had 25 cars out there it was a PITA, and cruising the dragon was actually CRUISING THE DRAGON, like 40mph....speed limit is 55mph

But if everyone would like to vote to go with them...I will accept the vote of the majority...we will just not be running the dragon in their line up, we'll go 20 minutes or so after they get on the dragon

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
I know what you mean. About the only place with enough parking would either be Fontana Dam or on the other side at the helo pad.
I think they are running it from the Tenn. side and back though.
Maybe you guy can start at the same time at opposite ends and just wave as you go by each other.
I'd love to join you guys but I'm pretty much limited to 1 Dragon a year.

OP
OP
Saint

Saint

Reaction score
I know what you mean. About the only place with enough parking would either be Fontana Dam or on the other side at the helo pad.
I think they are running it from the Tenn. side and back though.
Maybe you guy can start at the same time at opposite ends and just wave as you go by each other.
I'd love to join you guys but I'm pretty much limited to 1 Dragon a year.

Yeah, I hear you it's a drive...I used to live real close to it....amazing never knew about it until I moved 3 hours away :D

Marvin97

Reaction score
Yes, and they should be. People come here from all around on cars and bikes. Most of them have a good feel for their ride and can control it, but some don't and its very easy to get in over your head fast on this road. There are accident's here pretty regularly and people die on this road every year. The main thing, above all else, is to STAY IN YOUR LANE. Last time out there, a few of us were sitting at a lookout spot, taking in some scenery when a Tennessee state police officer pulled up and called everyone over. We had 3 mustangs and a few miatas, he said he knew what we were there for and understood how fun it was. He wasn't as much worried about us as he was the older crowd on bikes. "Watch out for them, they bring big cruisers over here and try to ride this thing, sometimes with little or no experience on a bike. Sometimes they cross the line or get really close to it. I'll tell you that I have ignored a cars speed before, but I will absolutely ticket anyone that I see cross the yellow. Understand?"

We went on the have a real nice time, no drama and no tickets that time.

97LSxGT

Reaction score
Same here man...Thats why I'm allowing other cars to cruise with us on the dragon lol...it's all about a good time!

Haha well we just went to look at it. Gf turned it down quick..needed alot of work..so well be in my car..and as far as driving slow..i will be lol. About to have my last speeding ticket dropped so i dont want another

02gtvertible

Reaction score
The only issue about linking up with them is....40+ cars on the dragon....Parking for a photoshoot will be a PITA!!! When we had 25 cars out there it was a PITA, and cruising the dragon was actually CRUISING THE DRAGON, like 40mph....speed limit is 55mph

But if everyone would like to vote to go with them...I will accept the vote of the majority...we will just not be running the dragon in their line up, we'll go 20 minutes or so after they get on the dragon

speed limit is 30 mph on the dragon. Its 55 on highway 28 the "hellbender"

Marvin97

Reaction score
As of right now I plan on coming. Where does everyone plan on staying? I plan on going down Friday morning, and I'll be at Fontana Village, and there may be a chance we could get a discount group rate on rooms at the lodge if we have enough people.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alleghenyamerican

Members online