TCC shudder on AODE

philoldsmobile

Reaction score
my 96 3.8 has the usual shuddre from the TCC when shifting from 3 - 4

as the car has only 27,000 miles on it, i'm guessing the TCC is glazed from lack of use - the car was imported from japan, where it was a weekend toy.. as it is getting more use, the shudder has reduced noticably, i plan on flushing the tranny fluid in the not too distant future..

what i want ot know is this.. first off, can i use hurst hot shift ATF in the tranny? i have used this in my TH700R4 in my old camaro with excelent results, the trans was like new @ 140,000

second; i have some major road trips deep into europe planned for next year (one to sweden, a couple in france, and one to southern spain) if the TCC shuddr isn't fixed with the fluid change, is it likely to cause any damage? i have been told 'they all do that' and apparently it hasn't been known to cause any real harm to a low milage car..

any comments?

94gtstang50

Reaction score
Cant say I've heard of the aode shudder problem. I change my tranny fluid and filter every year and mine runs great. Only problem I've had was my neutral saftey switch aka manual lever positioning sensor going and the car would keep shifting randomly. Thats an easy fix, but a shudder sounds sketchy. I'd say sell it and get a gt or snake, much better and reliable everything since they are built for heavier abuse and you can find some real deals on stock ones nowadays.

OP
OP
P

philoldsmobile

Reaction score
i can find plenty of results on the AODE shudder, and that its common.. what i cant find is any data to clarify if its just an annoyance, or likely to lead to other problems..

claims to a cure vary from a fluid change, to new torque converters... its the fluid breaking down when hot that causes it, as the shudder doesn't occur when cold, and only for about 1/2 a second when the converter locks up in top..

OP
OP
P

philoldsmobile

Reaction score
well, it seems the problem is very well documented, especialy on cars from japan, where they sit in traffic all the time. it relates to the tranny fluid breaking down when hot, especily if its not been changed for a long time

mine is going in for a tranny service on friday, the guy at the shop is confident it will cure the issue, as it has on all other SN95's he's had from japan - apparently the torque converter clutch glazes and judders when it engages if the fluid is unsuitable..

i'll keep you updated..

95-stang

Reaction score
Its more than well known on the MOCGB, i wrote quite a bit about it. :)
The best bet is use the latest Mercon fluid, its not cheap either, also put in a new tranny filter, dont forget to undo the converter drain plug, if you have one, not all do.
Also undo the pipes and flush as much as you can out of them and the rad.
Hopefully it wont have damaged the internal solenoids, i know 1 or 2 that have.
Its been referred to as "cattle grid judder" mine had it, but after all the above work, its perfect.

G

GREG@SN95

check the tranny for rice that may have spilled in when being worked on...

95-stang

Reaction score
GREG@SN95 said:
check the tranny for rice that may have spilled in when being worked on...

Lol if only, did find the little bung they put in at the factory though.

OP
OP
P

philoldsmobile

Reaction score
well.... fluid changed, judder about 90% gone, and getting better... i guess the TCC has to clean itself up if its glazed over?

ugh.... the bung........... ??? took many many phone calls, and 5 mechanics over 2 hours to figure out what it was..... we thought something had fallen out of the gearbox!!

95-stang

Reaction score
If you had checked on the MOCGB i did a write up on how to change it, and even had photos of the bung etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bs.austin.tx

Members online