the momstang rebuild begins TOOK A TRIP AROUND THE BLOCK!

Werecow

Reaction score
Danm..... Just danm...... And here I was feeling good that I figgered out the alternator and distributor wiring on Cherry Bomb....

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
so looky who gots an interior now!?
DOseAmm.jpg

I was about to put the seat in when I realized I needed to vacuum it out since I have never done it since the accident. There was everything from my old dogs fur to glass to lots of wire stripping but wow it looks different. Should I turn the ford logo the same direction as the mustang in the door sill or leave it facing me when I get out.

I also aired the tires up to the correct pressure and will set the ride height programs tomorrow or the next day. They are forecasting rain for the next few days that will need to dry out before I will be able to get it out for the alignment that it needs.

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
if you read about my troubles with my air ride in the "tell what you did to your car" post skip down to the **************** line below to save time.

It appears I am fucked on the ridetech air ride controller... The VERY VERY VERY last thing I had to do on my list was to program the air ride height presets before I took it for an alignment. This is important because you have the alignment done on preset #2 and this is normally as simple as getting it to the height you want and then holding down preset 1/2/3 for 5 secs and it programs. The problem is that I had to move 2 of my ride height sensors because the larger wheels would rub them on full turn. This changed the height sensor readings a little and I have never reprogrammed them because it wasn't on the road. Last night I went to go program the settings and it gave me an error about cross psi overloaded or some bs and would not program. I tried to rerun the initial set up to reprogram everything and it locks up and never starts it. Last week I wanted to turn the option off where when you power it up it automatically goes to preset #2 but I wasn't able to. Every time I changed it, and exited the menu it would turn it back on automatically. I called ridetech and talked to them an they said that the version 13 software that is on mine was known to be a bit buggy and also didn't like to be reflashed or updated... At that time it wasn't a deal breaker that I could not turn the #2 on power option off, but now that I can't reprogram the ride height settings I really have no accurate way to get back to the same height so I can drive it after I control it to get it close enough with the only penalty being that I will chew through "19 tires which is a pretty cheap option. When I talked to them last week they said they could give me a deal on a new control system(still not cheap) but the new one uses your phone as a display and then you have button that goes in the cig lighter for the presets. Now knowing that they could not make a hardwired display that could be upgraded/reprogrammed I have no faith that using my phone as display would leave me in any different situation another 5-6 yrs down the road knowing how often I drop and upgrade my phone and that the support for upgrades on these will eventually end. This would also mean I would need to figure out a way to fill the hole in the overhead console I installed and flush mounted the display into and that does not make me happy.

It looks like I have a nice ridetech paperweight that if I use it will make lots of rubber tire paper weights. The idea of having to tear out the old system and then try to integrate the ridetech sensors into a different system or rerunning all that fucking wiring, making the display pretty as well as paying an arm and a leg for another system is not how I wanted to spend the holiday weekend but its where I am at. If anyone wants a ridetech hoodey and hat let me know there is no way I am gonna sport their stuff anymore no matter if they are local to me or not. Fuck I would even need to repaint my tank to get the ridetech logo off fuck fuck fuck....

Tonight I went out and thought I would give it another try. I went into and measured all the corners, pushed and held the button and I will be damned it programmed! You can imagine my excitement. So then I turned it off, and then turned it back on hoping that it would stay right where it was only to find it let all the air out on the passenger side and puts 75 lbs on the drivers rear and 85 on the drivers front. It doesn't look good and its killing me to have to wait till monday to call ridetech and confirm it. I already have another controller picked out and this one has a lifetime warranty on the hard wired display controller and offers the ability to use your phone if that is what you want. I just hope that the height sensors are compatible and I don't have to replace and rerun all that crap.

50HSN95

Reaction score
What a pain in the ass. I have always liked the idea of air ride, hell it works for semi trucks and coach buses. That being said I worked on coach buses for a bit and it seems as simplistic as those systems are they are still temperamental.

Hopefully you can get it sorted out with Ride Tech.

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
yup its official I am screwed by ridetech with a firmware problem that they do not even have the ability to try and fix, if it could be fixed. They will make me a deal on the new system but like I said I am not about to attach this shit to my phone and hope they will continue support for it and not leave me high and dry again in 6 yrs. I am looking at air lift performance now instead fuck ridetech.

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I drove on it with the traditional bags on it for 2 years before the accident. Its just that I had to move some of the sensors after the bigger wheels were installed and then I upgraded to shockwaves to the control system is more then a couple of years old and been used although not as much as it should have. Josh from ridetech called me today and see if he could help and he says that if I keep using it that it will learn and eventually get to the correct location. I told him we had 3-4 days till the new system gets here to be able to learn it or its getting ripped out. Right now after reprogramming #2 when it goes back to it it lets all the air out of the passenger side and leaves 120 lbs in the drivers rear, and 85 in the front so I am hesitant to believe its going to go from that to where it needs to go. He was trying to steer me towards the new ridepro system as they dropped the E3 years ago but I have absolutely ZERO interest in having this system attached to my phone as I know there will be a time when the support for the phone upgrades ends and I am stuck in basically the same place I am now. I wasn't kidding when I said I thought this was the absolute last thing I needed to do as I checked tire pressure, got a current insurance card and was hoping to go for a ride on the holiday weekend. With this in mind the air lift performance 3h system was ordered so the clock is ticking for ridetech.

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
Damn. I didn’t realize this was the same system you had before, I thought it was all new. It’s this kind of shit that really gets to me. You pay all kinds of money for something that is supposed to be quality and then in short order, everything turnd to crap and nobody is willing to do anything about it.

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I know we have all been there where you are responsible for the problem at hand but I am not sure I have ever been where I am now that a firmware/software glitch is keeping it from working correctly and there was no way to fix it short of replacing it. I can tell Josh honestly wants to help but I am not sure that short of replacing it on discount with the system that I do not want any part of that he will be able to help. I have tried the key on/off a few times now but it still thinks #2 is crooked as hell. Too much cool shit will get you in the end just like not enough...

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
so I ended up replacing the air ride system. I went with a 3h system by airlift performance and installed it myself. I did a write up and review about it here:
https://www.sn95forums.com/threads/air-lift-performance-3h-install-and-review.76124/

But the high points are the display. I could not be happier with how it looks.
r61L6bP.jpg

So now that the suspension is straightened out I was going to take it into my local shop for the alignment it needed till I discovered they have been closing weekends because of the rona slowing business. So I am spending the weekend on some little things like the paint before I take it in monday.

My plan is to have them do the alignment as well as to put it on the lift and just go over every bolt they can see or touch to make sure its tight and to get what I hope is an experts eyes on what I have done to tell me if anything is wrong/loose. After that I am thinkin about a 50-100 mile shake down trip before I put it back on stands long enough to go under it and make sure everything is still tight and there isn't anything rubbing, leaking, or otherwise screwed up. Then I was thinking after a couple tanks of gas go through it that I would then pull a plug and see how they are looking to see if the tune is good or needs adjustments. Is there anything I am missing?

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
You’ve got a solid plan for shaking it down. As far as the tune is concerned, set your afr table up and allow the Holley to do its closed loop learn. It will put your fueling exactly where the afr table wants it. All you have to do is drive it. Get it up to temp then drive. It’ll run like crap the first couple times you hit a new block on the table, but it smooths out really quick.

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
You’ve got a solid plan for shaking it down. As far as the tune is concerned, set your afr table up and allow the Holley to do its closed loop learn. It will put your fueling exactly where the afr table wants it. All you have to do is drive it. Get it up to temp then drive. It’ll run like crap the first couple times you hit a new block on the table, but it smooths out really quick.
the remote tuner said the same thing that it was ready to have some miles put on it to learn what it needs to. I was just going to check a plug since its not hard to pull one out and see what it looks like and whats really going on inside.

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
the remote tuner said the same thing that it was ready to have some miles put on it to learn what it needs to. I was just going to check a plug since its not hard to pull one out and see what it looks like and whats really going on inside.

Definitely, checking the plugs is always a good idea. Just as long as the new plugs don’t have a lot of idle time on them without any miles, idling will make the plugs read real rich. You’re on the right track.

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I can't win. I ended up making an appointment for a shop that is close for this afternoon and anxiously waited for it. The time came and I was seriously scared as this was the furthest I have driven it in over 6 yrs. I got it in there and gave them the keys and then said that I would need to give them a quick "how to" on the air ride if they wanted to drive it on the lift and have it at the right height. The person I explained it to went to the back to get rick for some reason. Rick came out and I explained the same to him that I just needed to give a quick show on how to use the air ride system. Suddenly their machine to do alignments with broke about an hour ago. I asked when it would be fixed and he didn't know, could be a week or two...... He suggested two other shops up the road. On the way home I realized that he didn't want any part of my project or the head ache it might cause him later if/when something goes wrong. I know there will be things wrong with it and when I find them I will fix them and not blame someone else for it. I know the mechanic that did the work but I understand their concern. It was a small mom/pop shop, I might need to try a bigger chain.

In good news the car ran f'ing perfect. Fired right up both times, never had a moment where it thought about stalling and I even gave 2nd gear a enough of a flick to feel that she will be ready to move out when everything is straight. Now I just need to figure that out.

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
U7MuDSY.jpeg

Can you believe this shit? For the first time in 7 yrs it went and got its own gas. I was sure that the guys there had to think I was nuts all these years getting 93 in my gas can for my "lawn mower". The steering is still off and a little looser than I like but I could not resist taking it for a short drive after. As I pulled out of the station I was enjoying the exhaust and could resist giving the throttle a blip and it started to shuffle the tires as soon as I did. AFR was looking nice, it fired right up both times super fast and seemed like if I gave it gas it was gonna go. I got the name of a local guy that all the low riders go to so hopefully I can get it to him to straighten it out and then I can put some miles on it.

Not seeing it in the driveway/garage for the first time was different and nice.

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
the tail lights always bugged me that the 3rd bar would not light up so I fixed that. While I was at it I was also getting a little tired of the smoked lens look and was going to invite a little more red into the theme anyway so I unsmoked the tail light while I was at it.

Before
25zgNnw.jpeg

And after. Forgive the rough start it has not been started in a while otherwise it had been starting up really crisp.
I am still not sure on the fresh red lenses but I can always smoke them again.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chasingomas

Members online