the momstang rebuild begins TOOK A TRIP AROUND THE BLOCK!

Zutz23

Reaction score
I have thought for a while that the wheels would look cool with a red pinstripe. I put the rear on last week and wasn't sure about it enough that I waited a week to see how I felt about it. I decided to put the front on tonight and still not sure. I think I need to see it in the sun from a little further back to decide.

RPUc3YC.jpg

JVk0oBP.jpg

Opinions please as I am unsure.

Looks great. Adds detail to the car

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boostr1

Reaction score
Maybe if ya did one or the other, but it's your ride. You do seem iffy about it your self though.

Chenn2389

Reaction score
I have thought for a while that the wheels would look cool with a red pinstripe. I put the rear on last week and wasn't sure about it enough that I waited a week to see how I felt about it. I decided to put the front on tonight and still not sure. I think I need to see it in the sun from a little further back to decide.

RPUc3YC.jpg

JVk0oBP.jpg

Opinions please as I am unsure.
I think it looks good. The added benefit of some curb rash protection IF you have a mishap is a bonus as well. It might be a bit too much with the pinstriping already on the car though.

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I am on the fence still now that I got it out in the light to see them. I love that they match the pinstripe and draw attention, and I also hate how they draw attention...

x00Rpxm.jpg

And in the name of safety I mounted a fire ext. I know someone will want to say "are ya planning on having a fire?" just because it seems that someone always wants to say it and seems serious about it. The next thing they say is that those are too small to put out a serious fire and that one I have to agree with. These are not made to put out a huge raging fire that has engulfed the car they are made to put out small fires to prevent them from getting that big. Its important to have it mounted securely in a spot that if you are pinned in the car and need to grab it if you need it so I ordered some metal mounts(rather than the plastic ones that come with it) to hold it well enough. I am going to do one on the pass side as well just because again these are not all that big. The final reason I installed them is I read some statistics that installing one will reduce the chance you will ever need it by %5. Now I take that with a grain of salt just because I know that %75 of statistics are wrong and the other %50 are just completely made up....
7moiUVW.jpg

50HSN95

Reaction score
My thoughts, I like the stripe on the hood as it separates color schemes (carbon fiber to paint color). The wheels do something similar, from wheel color to the black tire. The one at the body line seems out of place as it is not delineating any color change, it is just there. IMHO it is a bit too much, but that aside, goddamn that car looks nice!

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
My thoughts, I like the stripe on the hood as it separates color schemes (carbon fiber to paint color). The wheels do something similar, from wheel color to the black tire. The one at the body line seems out of place as it is not delineating any color change, it is just there. IMHO it is a bit too much, but that aside, goddamn that car looks nice!
I am leaning towards this as well.

But more importantly, T56 time!
ZcQ8IuQ.jpg

Jeff at Silver Sport Trans was great for answering all my questions, having all the parts and at the lowest price. I look forward to not worrying about the trans to be able handle it to open it up finally. I will also be installing cats on my X pipe while it is off and between that and having the driveshaft shortened it might take a week or two to complete everything. I am dying ot start on it now even just to open the boxes further but my folks got their first covid shots wed and have been feeling the cold like effects from it since and I am taking care of them.

Chenn2389

Reaction score
its not that spot as much as the swivel section as the o-rings will wear out. I hear that you can take them apart and replace them but it needed a tool that I could not find anyone that knew anything about.

You mind helping me out with the part numbers so I can use this same set up. My coolant transfer tube is trash and the swivel fitting is toast. I would really appreciate it!

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
You mind helping me out with the part numbers so I can use this same set up. My coolant transfer tube is trash and the swivel fitting is toast. I would really appreciate it!
I looked and asked everyone I knew how it came apart but I was not able to find any info on it. In the end I went with AN fittings/hose instead of the stock pipe. I do have an extra stock pipe that is supposed to still be good I can part with if you need it.

Chenn2389

Reaction score
I looked and asked everyone I knew how it came apart but I was not able to find any info on it. In the end I went with AN fittings/hose instead of the stock pipe. I do have an extra stock pipe that is supposed to still be good I can part with if you need it.

I had to cut the old flex tubing to the heater core on the fire wall to get the engine out so I will need all new hosing anyway. I don’t mind swapping to fittings and hosing instead of the cross over pipe and stock tubes.

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I had to cut the old flex tubing to the heater core on the fire wall to get the engine out so I will need all new hosing anyway. I don’t mind swapping to fittings and hosing instead of the cross over pipe and stock tubes.
I don't have the numbers for the AN stuff on the top of my head but I can dig them up

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
IIRC out of the lower you need one of these
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/...jTtAVq1AGbQl_1kmmlY_cIUSd-roE1xMaAgHiEALw_wcB
then one of these
https://www.racetronix.biz/p/fittin...wb6LNU9gulld0KojYdU8G7iM92jeiTPwaAgncEALw_wcB
and then go to your -10 hose to a -10 an to 1/2" hose barb

I found a video that was titled "easy way to install catalytic converters" and went and got the same tool they showed. After 30 mins of squeezing it as hard as I could and going back and forth it finally went through. I would not call it easy but neat/clean and no sparks while under the car.
ZOMOR2i.jpg

As a dude that has been single for too long my arms and shoulders are getting sore today and I know tomorrow will be worse. But in good news the cuts were clean and I could move on to the next step of welding the cats in.
Fm33N6E.jpg

Tomorrow I hope to do the finishing welding and then I can take the rest of the X down and then start removing the trans.

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I was happy with them. I discovered they have some night welding classes at my local high school recently and might just have to finally get a lesson and learn what I do not yet know.

Chenn2389

Reaction score
I took metal shop all 4 years in high school, learned to do all different types of welding, using lathe and mill ect. Granted I haven’t done it since so I long forgot it. haha

Boostr1

Reaction score
I have an Everlast MIG haven't used it yet since I bought it like 3 years ago... hope it works... Been thinking of welding in my sfc my self.

Boostr1

Reaction score
I was happy with them. I discovered they have some night welding classes at my local high school recently and might just have to finally get a lesson and learn what I do not yet know.

When I still worked for Verizon they would pay for classes for anything pertaining to the Comms field as long as you passed... I selected welding and took 4 classes spread over a month, learned many of things. Not a pro by any means but did small jobs around the house when I had a flux core welder.

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
After getting the drivers side set up and tacked in place I thought that the pass side might go a little easier now that I had the settings and speed for the welding. I forgot that the passenger side had the slightest bend in it that I knew would pose a bit of a challenge.
ZOMOR2i.jpg

today I got back under it and I was trying to make that slight bend in the coupler and it seemed no matter how I tried this is as close as I got. I thought I had screwed up.
D39bQeg.jpg

This was after a couple of hours of trim a little and see if it would fit. Trim a little more and try again and repeat 50 times. I finally realized that coupler was not going to work and I had to get another. This time I trimmed some of it away and then used the tubes I cut off(shown above) to clamp on and then carefully bent/banged them into place. I figured that this would be another couple of hours of trim/fit game above but to my amazement I got under the car and slit them together and viola, it fuckin fit........
2i4pV0T.jpg

I tacked that in place and tomorrow its ready to be removed and I can finish the welding on all of it but the good news is that the x-pipe is out of the way and I can move to the trans.

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I got the trans removed from the motor shortly after that last post. My only problem then was that I am not comfortable jacking my car up as much as I would need to get the trans out on the jack. I asked my car buddies if they could lend a hand to get under the car to take it off the jack so I can get it out but perfect timing as always they all have covid... Then after waiting a week we got hit by that wicked cold/ice storms to where its no good to drive for quick favors like this. So in the mean time I started another project that has been on my mind for ever, the subwoofer enclosure. I want to try and get a little over 4 cu ft of air for the enclosure(for 2 12" morel Unltimo subs) and try not to eat the entire trunk up. There is no way to get a box that big through the trunk opening so to do this I am going to make a 2 piece box that use the space in the spare tire well as well as a more regular box above it behind the seat, I hope. I have never done this before and with a couple of options added to make it look cool it will make this the most complex enclosure I have ever built.
EL4mbZF.jpg

Because the two piece design will bolt together in the trunk I wanted to be sure that the lower portion was as stiff as it could be so rather than fiberglass the entire thing I decided to try kerfing. A kerf board is a piece of plywood that you make multiple cuts about 90% of the way through every 1/2" in my case that then allow the straight piece to be bent. After this point I added a layer of fiberglass to the kerfboard so that it is now ridged and then cut the top of it. Now the bottom needs to be fiberglassed in the car and its a little colder than I like for that, but I might do it anyway with the next ice storm hitting tomorrow.
XWUlSG6.jpg

While I was waiting for the layer of glass I did apply to dry I started on a small embellishment to the lower box, an infinity mirror with 1" acrylic.
2uVwrS0.jpg

More to come...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online