The *New* FTR 99 GT Road Race Build

Pete@FTR

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
#72 is dead, so its time for a new build. Here's the new car, a 1999 GT. Bascially this car is totally f*cked from the firewall forward, but thats exactly what I'm looking for. Going to be chopping off the front of the car and putting a completely tubular nascar-style SLA front clip. Picking it up this week for $180

14667967881_122240c3a1.jpg

Specs (for now...)

Motor
Cobra 4.6 block
MMR 5.0 stroker kit
4v B heads
Long tubes to side exhaust
Other stuff too... im not a motor guy lol

Front suspension
Fabricated front clip/sla
Penske or Koni Shocks (depends on cost)
Eibach springs on coilovers

Rear suspension
FTR Watts link
Fabricated torque arm
Penske or Koni Shocks (again, depends on cost)
Eibach springs on coilovers

Rear end
Upgraded diff eventually
Strange c-clip eliminators

Brakes
6pot wilwood superlites front
4pot wilwood superlites rear
14" DBA rotors front
12" DBA rotors rear

Body
Widebody (a la [MENTION=10532]MadStang[/MENTION])
Big ass wing (a la [MENTION=10532]MadStang[/MENTION])
FTR Splitter (a la inspired by [MENTION=10532]MadStang[/MENTION])
18x10 wheels for some big ass tires
Imitation is the highest form of flattery and he has basically done everything to make the most badass looking racecar

Interior
Full cage
Corbeau FX1 Pro seats
Sparco 333 steering wheel
Simpson 6pt harnesses

Got some big plans, progress will be slow but I'm excited for the new challenge

punched281

Reaction score
Sweet, I will be following. Did an autocross this summer and I am hooked. I want to make my Fiance's fox a road race car haha.

chris91

Reaction score
Good luck with the build man! Seems like a pretty solid list of mods. Surprised you wont be running your own brake kit.

wmfateam

Reaction score
Very nice. My ears perked up when I saw tubular front end. My future sees me wanting the first produced for the public.

OP
OP
Pete@FTR

Pete@FTR

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Good luck with the build man! Seems like a pretty solid list of mods. Surprised you wont be running your own brake kit.

Thanks man. Actually, it will be my own brake kit. It's going to be radial mount wilwood calipers mounted on an SN 95 spindle with a adapter that will eventually be sold as a kit

Sent from Tapatalk for iPhone

OP
OP
Pete@FTR

Pete@FTR

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Very nice. My ears perked up when I saw tubular front end. My future sees me wanting the first produced for the public.

We are going to R&D the crap out of this set up, my goal is to be able to sell it as a built to order front clip.

Should be the best SLA on the market by the time we are done because it is lightweight and we are not bound by the stock suspension pick up points, basically unlimited control over every aspect of the suspension travel.

Another advantage is that we are going to be using race style shocks so you can really run whatever you want based on your budget

Sent from Tapatalk for iPhone

SVTstang96

Reaction score
Hey man not sure if your interested but I may be able to help with a few of those parts..... I have BBK long tubes for a 4v with matching catted x for inspection/emissions regulations if you have them, and a oem 94-98 svo side exhaust kit, also have a stock steering column with a removable hub for a grant steering wheel if you are looking for one of those also.

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
excited for this build!

Make sure to post lots of pictures!
Really like your company, if I was building a more race oriented car I would be buying a lot :p

RichV

Reaction score
Well, knowing Pete, from concept to production is like a week or so.

I imagine this build should take like 2 months? :D

OP
OP
Pete@FTR

Pete@FTR

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Hey man not sure if your interested but I may be able to help with a few of those parts..... I have BBK long tubes for a 4v with matching catted x for inspection/emissions regulations if you have them, and a oem 94-98 svo side exhaust kit, also have a stock steering column with a removable hub for a grant steering wheel if you are looking for one of those also.

Definitely in the the long tubes, the rest of the exhaust is going to be fabricated similar style to this guy on corral. Probably won't be needing the x pipe but I'll keep it in mind, steering column and everything I luckily already have from my last car. Motor will be the last thing on the car since I don't like motor work lol.

Well, knowing Pete, from concept to production is like a week or so.

I imagine this build should take like 2 months? :D

Hahaha thats funny. Depends on how many people are buying race car parts, have to budget thousands of dollars for this build lol. Front clip and cage will get started in the next few weeks once we get a finalized design.

Takes a lot to design this thing from scratch, but the payoff will be well worth it. After the base is done it will probably be creeping progress waiting for parts to come in. Will most likely put a 2v pi motor with some bolt ons in once the suspension is done, and then start building up the cobra stroker once I have a working car.

SVTstang96

Reaction score
Its actually from a sn95 viper swap. Guy live about 75 miles from me. Cant seem to find a good build thread on it but go to this page and check out his work. Its a ways down before you get to the stang but it could give you some ideas for a few different things. Like a cage... his cage is beyond amazing! Anyways the second picture is of how he routed the exhaust, straight pipe till it turns up into the body, then it crosses over (pass side of exhaust exits driver, driver exits pass) this is where he installed the mufflers also.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Nightmare-Motorsports/158734987035

1914297_159623037035_1437923_n.jpg

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Wasn't somebody doing a sn/viper swap on here a few years back?

Yes, if I remember correctly it was a project with his brother, then his brother passed so he sold it.

Either way, [MENTION=17526]Poxenham[/MENTION], excited to see SLA, so many people don't even know what a big deal that is :D

alex302

Reaction score
this should be good!!!!! cant wait to see the front end build

MadStang

Reaction score
Why only a 4.6 4v. save yourself the effort and drop in a coyote!

Glad I could provide some inspiration and help along the way!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rvseverson

Staff online

Members online