The quest to my first HPDE v2.0

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
The quest to my first HPDE

There is a NASA High Performance Driver's Education event November 19/20 that I'm planning to attend so, I have to whip this car into shape. Why not drive my '95 GT? Simple, I can't. Now, back to this heap. Before they'll let you on the track you have to pass some tech inspection and that's what I'll be focusing on first. I know my car well and what deficiencies it has and this is the punch list:

1. Wheels & Tires:

• fresh set of Nankang 275/35r18s
  • clean the Konigs up

2. Brakes:

• FTR 14" kit
  • Porterfield R4 pads
  • stainless braided brake hoses
  • flush fluid and replace with ......?

3. Steering & Suspension:

• install Bilstein HD shocks
  • install BBK specific rate springs
  • alignment

4. Safety Equipment:

• Helmet is current
    thumbsup.gif

5. Engine:

• troubleshoot upper RPM stumble
  • battery hold down/terminal covers
  • change oil

6. Miscellaneous:

• Driver seat wiring
  • secure rear view mirror
  • assemble tool kit to bring to track
  • pads and rotors for trip to/from track

OP
OP
white95

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
While the couple of parts needed begin to arrive I took the time to update my helmet's clear visor to a blue chrome piece:

E0C03F2D-EB1C-47C3-8B27-B801C1B15FAD_zpsqa9zkwpw.jpg

Our very own [MENTION=15705]mcglsr2[/MENTION] suggested that I try this CG-Lock lap belt locking device out since harnesses and a harness bar weren't going to be involved:

F05C55DE-3C75-4433-AEE2-A7271C54B97E_zpsjghecsnv.jpg

wmfateam

Reaction score
Make sure said 98 has fresh fluid and decent pads.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Oh, I also recommend CG Locks if you don't have a harness. They do actually help somewhat.

hotmustang95

Reaction score
Good for you man. Just remember it's worse then crack. NASA is a great organization to run with. I personally have not run with them but have many friends who do and even race in American Iron. FYI there are other clubs that don't require club fees like PBOC and PCA. Just to give you more options and track dates.

OP
OP
white95

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
Oh, I also recommend CG Locks if you don't have a harness. They do actually help somewhat.

I don't have harnesses and likely won't for this car. Thanks for the tip! [edit: ordered one :thumbsup: ]

Good for you man. Just remember it's worse then crack. NASA is a great organization to run with. I personally have not run with them but have many friends who do and even race in American Iron. FYI there are other clubs that don't require club fees like PBOC and PCA. Just to give you more options and track dates.

Oh yes, I've been hooked for years but for one reason or another, have't been able to attend any events. Just wait until I get my track car sorted, I think you'll like it.

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I don't have harnesses and likely won't for this car. Thanks for the tip! [edit: ordered one :thumbsup: ]

Sure thing! They are easy to remove from the belt if you don't want them on during "normal" driving (though they only get tight once you crank down on the belt - so you could leave it on if you wanted to).

wmfateam

Reaction score
Are the BBK springs something you already have, or are yet to buy? If still need to buy I would suggest a different brand.

OP
OP
white95

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
Are the BBK springs something you already have, or are yet to buy? If still need to buy I would suggest a different brand.

Those are just springs that I've had on a shelf for a few years but I'm always open to suggestion.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cwacaser

Members online