Thinking about 4.10's in my 97 cobra!

shocar4

Reaction score
I checked with an SVT performance shop here by me today about getting 4.10's (frpp) installed then gave me a price of $400 for everything (said unless my car needs new bearing, which is probably not the case with 75k miles)...anywho does that sounds about right? seems like a fairly good deal to me...also what is needed for my speedometer to be correctly? thanks fellas!

btw my car is a 97 cobra with o/r h pipe, flowmasters and short throw...that's it!

Mystic SVT

Reaction score
Price sounds about right. To correct the speedometer correctly you will need to get a speedcal, preferably a Dallas Mustang speedcal.

OP
OP
S

shocar4

Reaction score
so I am getting ready to call the performance shop tomorrow and set up an appointment to get my 4.10's installed......I just pray that I can really tell a big difference from my stock gears!

RideThePONYgt

Reaction score
shocar4 said:
so I am getting ready to call the performance shop tomorrow and set up an appointment to get my 4.10's installed......I just pray that I can really tell a big difference from my stock gears!

ohhhh you will. I drove a bone stock 98 cobra and it was nice, then I drove a 97 with 4.10's and holy shit ive never had so much fun in a car

dczsvt

Reaction score
def dont forget the speedcal, and you might as well replace the bearings while your back there, thats just one of those "just in case" things with me.....have fun and enjoy

switch96

Reaction score
I put 4.10's in my '96 Cobra after full bolt ons. It was the most significant mod I have ever made in any car. It will be fun.

If you don't want to drop the cash on the speedcal you can replace the speedo gear in the transmission. Some people cite reliability as a concern. But they're $10 or so and take 5 minutes (literally) to replace. I've had mine in for almost 10k miles now. The correct gear for 4.10's is the 23 tooth white gear. Here's an example:

http://www.steeda.com/store/steeda-speedometer-recalibration-gears-for-ford-mustang.html

uncltrvlnmatt

Post Whore
Reaction score
As stated above, do the bearings. If you have it apart do it right once. Doing it again will cost twice as much. later. You might even consider a set of axles. But now you are talking in the 1k+ range.

OP
OP
S

shocar4

Reaction score
car is all done! end up replacing the bearings too even though the oems looked perfect! going to pick it up in the morning! soooo excitedddd!!!

OP
OP
S

shocar4

Reaction score
okay as another member stated....I have permagrin!!! love the 4.10"s

OP
OP
S

shocar4

Reaction score
so I have to take the car back to the shop tomorrow! so po'ed!!!! there is puddle of diff fluid in my driveway!!!!

OP
OP
S

shocar4

Reaction score
all fixed>>>they tore the front seal during installation....they fixed for free of course!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online