To go double din or not?

Venompower

Reaction score
I was kicking around the idea of swapping in an Apple Carplay Double Din this winter... but just checked Crutchfield and they have the JVC KD-TD71BT single
receiver with install kit and prewired for $134.94 shipped.... so what would you do? I don't want to skimp on this car, and the Carplay unit would definitely be more up to date with a little more wow factor, but the other is dead cheap and functional.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_105KDTD71B/JVC-KD-TD71BT.html

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
if ya don't want to skimp I might not go with jvc. I use to love them and owned more than a few different products from them but I have read since they were bought by kenwood that they sound like they are barely above an entry level product. Now this is not first hand experience so if someone else chimes in that they have had them and had not issues, ignore me.

With that being said I would go double din when you get a chance as it is nicer in some areas, a PIA in others.

joemomma

Reaction score
I went with a single-DIN Alpine for my 94. Always been a fan of Alpine stuff and I wanted something that integrated with my phone as I needed hands-free capability for state law requirements now. It doesn't have CarPlay, but I can stream music via BT or USB and make calls on it. I wanted to keep it looking "retro" I guess.

OP
OP
Venompower

Venompower

Reaction score
if ya don't want to skimp I might not go with jvc. I use to love them and owned more than a few different products from them but I have read since they were bought by kenwood that they sound like they are barely above an entry level product. Now this is not first hand experience so if someone else chimes in that they have had them and had not issues, ignore me.

With that being said I would go double din when you get a chance as it is nicer in some areas, a PIA in others.
Yeah part of me says even if the features would never be used based on my use of the car... that it would be the nicer option. What brands do you recommend?
I went with a single-DIN Alpine for my 94. Always been a fan of Alpine stuff and I wanted something that integrated with my phone as I needed hands-free capability for state law requirements now. It doesn't have CarPlay, but I can stream music via BT or USB and make calls on it. I wanted to keep it looking "retro" I guess.
This is where I struggle, the double din is probably 3 to 4 times the price for entry level.... talked to my wife and she agreed based on my use of the car the features wouldn't be necessary and that the cost was appealing.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I have a kenwood that I guess I am happy with. I say I guess because I have not yet got use to all the screens you need to navigate through to do what you want and while driving it can seem like a lot to try and find what I want. I like the display, but sometimes miss the simplicity of the single din.

joemomma

Reaction score
Yeah part of me says even if the features would never be used based on my use of the car... that it would be the nicer option. What brands do you recommend?

This is where I struggle, the double din is probably 3 to 4 times the price for entry level.... talked to my wife and she agreed based on my use of the car the features wouldn't be necessary and that the cost was appealing.

Actually the Alpine entry-level double-DIN isn't much more than the single-DIN I purchased. I put one in my '06. It didn't have CarPlay or anything like that, but did have phone integration and the like.

OP
OP
Venompower

Venompower

Reaction score
Actually the Alpine entry-level double-DIN isn't much more than the single-DIN I purchased. I put one in my '06. It didn't have CarPlay or anything like that, but did have phone integration and the like.
If I'm going to invest in double-din, then CarPlay would be a must for me. Otherwise I would definitely go single din and find one that had phone integration and wireless streaming along with USB.

88stang88

Professional Lurker
Reaction score
I like the idea of Double-Din. I think it makes everything look more modern. I am also going to opt for the cup-holder mod.

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I went double din on mine. I also added the backup camera, and that’s nice!
On the plus side: looks cool; tons more options, functionality and expandability (keeping up with technology).
On the down side(IMO): harder to use; can’t just reach over for a knob, you have to take your eyes off the road longer; navigating around all their functions and options can be frustrating (especially if your “technologically-challenged “ like me!); changing settings is much harder while driving compared to the good old head units with knobs and a couple of buttons.

Don’t know if this helps you. It’s just my unsolicited $.02
:)2E356BDA-50EE-43B1-BCA9-E27FB9E12827.jpeg

Last edited:

J_lope82

Reaction score
I did the double din on my truck and then added a back up camera my self for like $30.00
I would go with a good quality double din.

OP
OP
Venompower

Venompower

Reaction score
Can I get some recommendations on quality CarPlay double din brands? If the quality ones are even more expensive than the ones I have been looking at it may help swap my decision.

88stang88

Professional Lurker
Reaction score
I put a really nice Kenwood Double-Din in about 9 months ago to replace the stock unit in my wife's Yukon. Has CarPlay included but not via BT it has a usb connector. Works really well tho.

TrickVert

Reaction score
I have a kenwood that I guess I am happy with. I say I guess because I have not yet got use to all the screens you need to navigate through to do what you want and while driving it can seem like a lot to try and find what I want. I like the display, but sometimes miss the simplicity of the single din.
In reviews, it's been said pretty consistently that Pioneer's interface is more intuitive and simpler to navigate than Kenwood's.

er1kgr33n

Reaction score
Crutchfield is way better these days gents. Check them out. Best prices and they always show vehicle specific add-ons. Just my .02¢

Procharged87

Reaction score
I put a really nice Kenwood Double-Din in about 9 months ago to replace the stock unit in my wife's Yukon. Has CarPlay included but not via BT it has a usb connector. Works really well tho.
Try a CarlinKit if you want to convert it to wireless. Just make sure to get what they call the 3.0 version. I have one of these that I use with our CarPlay units (we have about 4) and it works well.
In reviews, it's been said pretty consistently that Pioneer's interface is more intuitive and simpler to navigate than Kenwood's.
Pioneer or Kenwood is the way to go. I have Kenwood in my F-150, a Pioneer in my little Scion xB, and I put some cheaper CarPlay units in my wife’s Camry (Blaupunkt) and a Dual in my daughter’s Yaris. Kenwood has the best looking interface but the Pioneer is ever so slightly easier to navigate. Sound quality is comparable and they both have decent firmware update support. My wife’s Blaupunkt sounds great and functions well but the interface is dated and simplistic. The Dual my daughter has works fine all but the CarPlay interface for calls/speakerphone. We have to disconnect CarPlay and use Bluetooth for the calls. Can’t get a firmware update to address it. Zero issues with the Pioneer or the Kenwood though and they do update their firmware. Honestly, it’s the only two brands I would consider for CarPlay. The CarlinKit I have works with all of them.

Edit: By interface I mean the general radio controls and interface. Once in CarPlay mode it all looks and functions the same.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TN95gt

Members online

No members online now.