Upgraded the IRS Cobra suspension with Poly and more

OP
OP
cobraracer46

cobraracer46

Reaction score
if only someone here worked for a plastics company!!!! ARGGGG!

If you wanted to, you could buy a lathe from Harbor Frieght, purchase some Delrin bar stock from Mcmaster carr or Grainger and make your own suspension bushings.

z06killa

Reaction score
Or if you wanted to do a half assed job, you could buy some cheap ass poly bushings and put them in your IRS!! LMAO :laughing5:

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Or if you wanted to do a half assed job, you could buy some cheap ass poly bushings and put them in your IRS!! LMAO :laughing5:

oh thank God you're back. I was afraid we'd get some peace and quiet. .. ... ...

:sign10:
:argue:
:BangHead:

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I did enjoy this I would like to swap to an irs eventually but I would have to find a good trade first.

OP
OP
cobraracer46

cobraracer46

Reaction score
Or if you wanted to do a job, you could buy some cheap bushings and put them in your IRS!! LMAO :laughing5:

I do not recommend Delrin and aluminum bushings for a street driven IRS SVT Cobra due to excessive levels of NVH, including slam clunk and the incredibly irritating ring gear noise that wont be heard with the factory IRS rubber or aftermarket Poly from Maximum Motorsports and Prothane. However, if you insist on turning your IRS cobra into a rolling torchure chamber because you are a tough guy or because your mustang is a track only non street driven car, then you can go with Delrin and aluminum cheaply in the Cobra IRS if you are willing to skip the Maximum Motorsports Delrin and aluminum bushing kit that won in American Iron racing.

The budget Delrin and aluminum kit I am taking about is from the fine folks at Drop engineering. All of their Cobra IRS bushings are on sale and avalable from SN95 forum sponsor Late Model Restoration.

Drop Engineering: doing Delrin and aluminum IRS bushings better and cheaper than Zo6killa::grin:
Drop_Logo_White-580x213.jpg

http://www.dropengineering.com/ford-bushings.html

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
Drop Engineering: doing Delrin and aluminum IRS bushings better and cheaper than Zo6killa

How, pray tell, are you going to substantiate this claim? Also, since when does something become better simply because its cheaper?

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Who's tired of Z06 trolling cobraracer...
<---- This guy.

Who's tired of cobraracer saying "NVH"...
<---- This guy.

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not going to allow any of our members to feel as if this is a hostile environment where they can't voice their opinions or thoughts without getting bashed to all hell.

Feel free to post up some tech on IRS bushings - we'd love to have it (especially graphs and "tech info" without mis-spellings.)

But in the mean time, keep the trolling and bashing out of our community.

OP
OP
cobraracer46

cobraracer46

Reaction score
Who's tired of Z06 trolling cobraracer...
<---- This guy.

Who's tired of cobraracer saying "NVH"...
<---- This guy.

The next time that the topic of elevated noise, vibration and harshness comes up in this thread, instead of "NVH" I'll say; "irritating mustang noises(IMN) that will cause your wife to make sleep on the couch.":grin:

z06killa

Reaction score
However, if you insist on turning your IRS cobra into a rolling torchure chamber because you are a tough guy or because your mustang is a track only non street driven car, then you can go with Delrin and aluminum cheaply in the Cobra IRS if you are willing to skip the Maximum Motorsports Delrin and aluminum bushing kit that won in American Iron racing.

The budget Delrin and aluminum kit I am taking about is from the fine folks at Drop engineering. All of their Cobra IRS bushings are on sale and avalable from SN95 forum sponsor Late Model Restoration.

I'm not going to allow any of our members to feel as if this is a hostile environment where they can't voice their opinions or thoughts without getting bashed to all hell.

Feel free to post up some tech on IRS bushings - we'd love to have it (especially graphs and "tech info" without mis-spellings.)

But in the mean time, keep the trolling and bashing out of our community.

Ok, seeing that misspellings is being called out in this thread, let's take a look at the mis-spellings highlighted in the cobraracer post above! :rolleyes:

Seeing you want tech MustangChris, let's take a closer look at control arm deflection from those crappy OEM rubber bushings that Ford installed in the Cobra IRS. This condition would also be manifested with some cheap assed aftermarket poly bushings in the same manner, I don't care who you get them from. This is what would happen to the poly bushings that the OP installed in his IRS.

Here is a factory rubber bushed Cobra IRS, filmed from underneath the car during a drag launch with a GoPro camera. During the burnout, with limited traction, the deflection is not that great. But once the car launches on the starting line, the story changes dramatically. This massive control arm deflection would be at least as bad, possibly worse, with poly bushings. From the Full Tilt Boogie Racing videos link on their web site:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=1FTpy-Zc_8o

This is why our position is OEM rubber and aftermarket poly bushings have no place in a Cobra IRS. Anyone that actually puts poly in an IRS will eventually regret it.

Suspension optimization is paramount on a vehicle regarding handling, car control and cornering efficiency, particularly when suspension is as inefficient as an IRS. An IRS is twice an inefficient as a front suspension because it has twice as many control arms. It is WAY more important to 'fix' the IRS when compared to the front suspension of a Mustang.

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
just fyi, the spelling comment was in reference to a post made by another member during the last "irs bushing bash". I can understand why you thought I was referencing you, but I was not - I apologize.

as for the tech, I can't help but notice how much more convincing you are when you're not personally bashing another member... you've gone from " some troll" to "I hope he tells us more"......

so, was that video filmed with oem or poly bushings?
do you have any videos with the UHMW bushings?

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I think this could lead to some good tech conversation as long as it stays civil. Maybe Z06 can start a new thread with info on the delrin and aluminum options and we will leave this one to talk about the poly options.

RichV

Reaction score
SRA or IRS will have the same effect ...

CMC cars, even with a mere 260hp, are having issues with tearing up the factory torque boxes. Even with the reinforcement kits. There is a petition to allow the Mustang chassis the Wildrides Battle Box, but all the adjustability will probably keep it out of the rulebook. The factory rubber movement is not ideal in a race car, but there has to be a balance.

The problem is that when you add stiffer bushings to any suspension piece, its sister pieces/bushings end up taking more of the deflection. Eventually the damage will start to tear up pick up points, specially if you have no give in the suspension, like delrin or aluminum.

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
Good point Rich!! I think I have to consider that heavily since I have a torque-monster powerplant. I believe a "common fix" associated with the IRS is to weld in a plate to stiffen the rear subframe mounts. We simply "welded up" my torque boxes.

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
ah. ... time to track down the weak link..... lol.

if its not the bushings, its the TQ Boxes.... oh boy.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
senior001

Members online