Walking Tall's 95 GT build thread.

Walking Tall

Reaction score
Hey guys. Here is a little info, the story and progress on my car.

The story:
I've been a car nut since 10, and a Mustang fan shortly after. The pastor at my church had two kids who always had Mustangs, mostly Fox's and SNs. The first one I rode in and drove was a 98 Chrome Yellow Cobra. I absolutely loved that car.

I've owned 6. Most with only one or two mods. I sold my last one right before I met my wife. She knew I liked them, but didn't how how crazy I was for them. After many arguments (She wanted me to get a truck) we finally agreed to get one after she finished her degree and found a job. This summer I was working off duty at the local weekly car show and got to know one of the guys in charge. He knew how badly I wanted one and happened to buy one a few weeks later. He told me that I needed to come look at it. He said it just happened to be a yellow T-5 car with a black interior.

I looked at the car and loved it. But I told him there was no way I could get it at the time. We finally agreed that I would work as much overtime as I could until it was payed off. And after 4 months of 7 day work weeks, it was mine!

The car:

It's a bone stock '95 Canary Yellow GT. It has 117k, Black interior and a 5 speed. It has a sunroof that was probably installed soon after it was bought.

It has a few flaws:

A lot of hail damage. Roof, fenders, QP and doors.
Whine coming from the rear drivers side axle
A leak on the passenger side of the motor.
Nasty, purple and torn tint.

Day I brought it home:

038_zps63f7f553.jpg

037_zpsc2304ff5.jpg

Interior:

044-1_zpsf2fae04d.jpg

045-1_zps80c58c43.jpg

Some of the hail damage:

040-1_zpsd6f3a4f1.jpg

039-1_zpsa9225f1d.jpg

The plans:

The goal of this car will be a reliable semi-daily driver. Very much on a budget. I don't have to drive it everyday but it is our second vehicle. Used/Non name brand parts whenever possible..

Exterior:
FIX HAIL DAMAGE
Cobra bumper
'96-'98 Cobra hood
Sportlines
18" wheels (I change my mind every week. But I have my eye on a set of 18x8.5 and 18x11s)
New window tint

Interior:
SVT style El-glow gauges.
Bullitt pedals
Steeda Tri-Ax shifter

Engine/Exhaust
Flowmaster cat-back
O/R H

For the engine, nothing crazy. Probably a rebuild kit and a centrifugal supercharger.

My goal is to have hail damage repaired. New wheels, exhaust and lowered by the car shows this summer.

I hope you enjoy. Progress with be slow, but I'm just happy to have a project again.

OP
OP
Walking Tall

Walking Tall

Reaction score
Spent all day yesterday scraping off the old window tint. Used a steamer and razors. There are a few spots left. I wont be re-tinting until I have a little more done.

IMG_0083_zpsdfcb25a8.jpg

IMG_0084_zps4aa67714.jpg

Cleaned it up and took it out. Realized I didn't have any pics out of the garage.

IMG_0087_zpse20d222f.jpg

IMG_0086_zps55d047c5.jpg

In case anyone wondered what their car looked like stock. :p

Next up is the exhaust. I got a free catback, but the tailpipes had been cut off. As soon as we can weld them back on, we will install it.

KillNThrill24

Legend
Reaction score
Alright man I've been wanting to see your ride for a while! Good set of plans you've got laid out for yourself. Hope to see some more progress soon!

OP
OP
Walking Tall

Walking Tall

Reaction score
Thanks guys! It's nothing special, but I've wanted another Mustang for so long that I'm just happy to have a project again.

MC: The sunroof literally quit working the day I went to look at it. It doesn't leak but I'm debating on fixing it or putting in a whole new roof skin.

Got an early Christmas present from the wife:

IMG_0103_zpsc7bf37de.jpg

Black Friday deal from Latemodel. They are a lot better quality than the cheaper UPR covers, which were thin enough that they look like you could bend them.

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I have the same pedals, love them! But i removed the dead pedal or whatever you call it.

OP
OP
Walking Tall

Walking Tall

Reaction score
1/8/13

Took the car to get an estimate on hail damage. The guy said that to get everything perfect he'd charge about $3k to insurance. He's charging me $600 to get most of the noticeable stuff gone. I drop it off the 17th.

duh09

Legend
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Nice seeing another TN member on here. Can't wait to see the progress you make with it. If you're ever down around Pulaski in it this summer, be sure and hit me up and we'll have to do a Mid TN Photoshoot or something haha

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
1/8/13

Took the car to get an estimate on hail damage. The guy said that to get everything perfect he'd charge about $3k to insurance. He's chafing me $600 to get most of the noticeable stuff gone. I drop it off the 17th.

are you having the paintless dent repair done or a regular body shop that repaints the dents?

OP
OP
Walking Tall

Walking Tall

Reaction score
are you having the paintless dent repair done or a regular body shop that repaints the dents?

It's PDR. I think that if there weren't so many dents in every panel then it would cost less. But there are 15+ dents on every panel.

03DSGGT

SN95 Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looking forward to the progress...its a nice feeling to work your butt off and be able to go out into the garage to see they payoff

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
It's PDR. I think that if there weren't so many dents in every panel then it would cost less. But there are 15+ dents on every panel.

with that many dents it's probablly a wash whether it gets painted or not.
I've been thinking about going back to school to learn PDR as a side gig for some extra $.

OP
OP
Walking Tall

Walking Tall

Reaction score
with that many dents it's probablly a wash whether it gets painted or not.
I've been thinking about going back to school to learn PDR as a side gig for some extra $.

Yeah I want to paint the car in a few years anyways. I just want it to look decent between now and then.

KillNThrill24

Legend
Reaction score
The roof, not sure how you would go about replacing it to get rid of the dents, but the sail panels can easily be replaced if dented. That will help the look a lot. The doors, if bad enough can get replaced. I mean you can replace just about ANY panel on these cars which is so awesome. And since your repainting it you could get them used and it doesn't matter the color because they're getting painted anyway. The only panel I'm not sure is removable is the quarters. Never heard of anyone removing them.. But honestly the smaller panels it just would be easier to replace them if you ask me.

As for the sunroof, try removing the power wire and hooking it up to a battery. Make sure you remove it from the switch tho because it could just be a simple bad switch. I had one go bad on my old Grand Am. If it's not that then it's gotta be a fuse. But I'm betting it's the switch man. And I'm sure you can pick one up for cheap. If your not getting power to it then I would just run my own power wire. Seems like I've been having to do that more and more recently. No matter what tho I can almost guarantee it's an easy fix!

Barner1

Reaction score
This is a great looking car, canary yellow has grown on me over the years. You got some nice mods in mind too. Nice job!

OP
OP
Walking Tall

Walking Tall

Reaction score
The roof, not sure how you would go about replacing it to get rid of the dents, but the sail panels can easily be replaced if dented. That will help the look a lot. The doors, if bad enough can get replaced. I mean you can replace just about ANY panel on these cars which is so awesome. And since your repainting it you could get them used and it doesn't matter the color because they're getting painted anyway. The only panel I'm not sure is removable is the quarters. Never heard of anyone removing them.. But honestly the smaller panels it just would be easier to replace them if you ask me.

As for the sunroof, try removing the power wire and hooking it up to a battery. Make sure you remove it from the switch tho because it could just be a simple bad switch. I had one go bad on my old Grand Am. If it's not that then it's gotta be a fuse. But I'm betting it's the switch man. And I'm sure you can pick one up for cheap. If your not getting power to it then I would just run my own power wire. Seems like I've been having to do that more and more recently. No matter what tho I can almost guarantee it's an easy fix!

I didn't know this before, but my buddy at work who is a body man has replaced a few roof skins. Evidently they are spot welded on. It still makes me nervous though.

And the sunroof has power. The motor runs when you hit the switch but it won't move back. It's like something isn't catching.

OP
OP
Walking Tall

Walking Tall

Reaction score
1/21

Dropped the car off for the PDR yesterday. Very excited to get this done as I think it's the biggest thing letting the car down. I'm also having the Flowmaster catback welded back up now (tails welded back on). I picked up a BBK O/R H from CC'S95GT that will go on when the catback is ready.

I'm still busting my balls for some cash for wheels and tires but my wife is wanting to hold back some cash for now. I'd like to get some soon but I'm still undecided.

OP
OP
Walking Tall

Walking Tall

Reaction score
1/22

Picked the car back up toady and WOW! The guy did great work, got out every dent and even knocked of $50 because it didn't come out perfect. Even though he did way more work than he quoted me! I'm so excited. The hail damage brought it down so much. I was hesitant to do this first but I'm so glad I did. Check out some of the pics in the above posts for some of the damage. There were dents in every panel though. Anyways, on to the pics!

image_zpscffad938.jpg

image_zpsf4477aba.jpg

image_zpsc59b4efd.jpg

image_zpsaa0af863.jpg

image_zps443409b8.jpg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Srchop16