When a deal like this pops up, you don't let it pass

Wild Horses

Reaction score
So I've been working on my 4v swap parts lately. Got the bottom end pulled apart and everything looks great in the aluminum block. Oil pump looks good and the entire rotating assembly is A Ok. Well my friend sends me a link to an 01 cobra for sale. Asking price was $5000. The reason why... It threw a rod at 66k miles!! It definitely can't be a teksid. Anyway. Long story short, the girl that owns it is selling it for 5 grand cause that's how much the 01 GT she wants is. So I told her I'd simplify it and give her my yellow 02 GT for her cobra. She sees the pics and falls in love with the car. So once again I'm trading up to a car that has problems but can be much better than my current Stang.
Only reason I am doing this trade is because I've already got an entire short block, 9 thread heads IF IT NEEDS THEM, timing chains, everything I could possibly need to fix that motor in a weekend. Hell... If the valves are ok I'll slide the piston out and just replace it.

Look ok at this car!!
2001 SVT Cobra
LASER RED!!!!!
66k Miles!!!
Black top
Black/light gray interior.
Unmolested.... Bone stock. Gorgeous. I've never seen a laser red 01 and a vert at that!. It's 1 of 136 laser reds.

image_zpshe6ibokz.jpg

I will be picking her up Monday. I'll be a cobra owner.

OP
OP
Wild Horses

Wild Horses

Reaction score
I know to a lot of people this may seem like a huge risk, and I feel it; but I'm confident I can have her going within a couple of weeks.
The biggest gambles I've taken have had the biggest pay offs. I'm looking at turning this into a $10k car. It's that clean.

OP
OP
Wild Horses

Wild Horses

Reaction score
Can anyone explain how in the hell a bone stock 01 cobra could throw a rod with less than 70k miles? I mean unless they never changed oil/ran it hot/ leaned out somehow and over revved. It just seems very unlikely that a rod is the problem and it's probably something else. The girl said it'll start and run long enough to get it on the trailer. That don't sound like a thrown rod to me... Last time I went through this with the yellow vert the guy thought the pats system had him locked out and I brought it home to find it was just water in the gas tank. Everyone cross your fingers that it needs something simple

Cpotts13

Reaction score
You can tell its female owned... those seats look like they have never been conditioned!!! I kid I kid.. Looks nice..

Burninriverdiver

Reaction score
Good find man, I've never seen a vert that color in the wild before. You've gotten some great deals, hopefully this one follows the trend!

OP
OP
Wild Horses

Wild Horses

Reaction score
Yes I've gotten pretty lucky and I can usually sniff out a car that can be fixed. The color is super rare. I'm super excited to get it.

Found out out the shop told them it had a broken rocker arm so I'm kinda thinking it bent the rod and tagged the valves or hopefully just the hydraulic lifters seized up making it look like the valves got tagged. Either way it'll be a fun tear down I guess. Lol.

OP
OP
Wild Horses

Wild Horses

Reaction score
So I started this car and drove it around the block. The knock is coming from under the valve covers and front cover it sounds like. There wasn't even a CEL on the dash. This thing runs absolutely perfectly with zero misfires. I'm having a hard time believing it's a rod. I'm pretty sure she just needs chain guides and secondary tensioners. Cross your fingers for me!!! Picking it up Monday!

bluex

Reaction score
Wow that's a sweet deal man. Car looks nice, hope it's an easy fix...

Vegasfilter

Reaction score
Dude great trade up. She's happy with you're vert, and now you have a cobra. A little tlc will go a long way on that one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
senior001

Members online