1995 Mustang overhaul, Shooting for ROTM, UPDATES 3/2014 pics. It's RUNNING

OP
OP
B

bhorne89

Reaction score
Car is fighting me.... don't they all. Got the fuel system done, and brakes as well. Went to mount the upper intake, it hit the aeromotive fuel rails. So I bought a phenolic spacer, and thought I had it! NOPE, the hood hits and will not close! Damn-it. SO I shaved a bulky part on the underside of the upper plenum, and made it clear the rail, then I was able to get it to fit without the spacer. Still hits the hood.

How the hell do people get 351W under factory hoods??? It looks to me like the AJE K-Member raised the engine. I called AJE< and they just started making engine mounts for DART blocks that lower the engine 5/8", and the EGR tube on the BBK intake has been removed and tapped and plugged. This gets me about 1-1/2"s more room under there, I will keep you posted if this works when i get the mounts in. Hopefully I can save someone the headaches!

As soon as the hood clears, I will mock up the intercooler, and plumbing to it, get the belts on the serpentine set up, and the powersteering hoses. I just want to hear this thing start up!!!

One Day!

Steve-Oh

Legend
Reaction score
I had to use a 1" spacer to clear the valve covers. I just bought a ridiculous cowl hood to clear everything. I guess it depends on what upper and lower combo you use that dictates how much space you get, I'm sure you could get drop mounts and such but what I had an issue with is the clearance between the pan and steering rack so drop mounts weren't an option.

OP
OP
B

bhorne89

Reaction score
Progress made finally,

Put in the AJE red series engine drop mounts, took off the tube on the throttle body, drilled and taped it, and clearanced the underside of the Trick Flow intake to fit over the Aeromotive rails, without the need of a spacer. All this made the hood clear, what a relief.

Intercooler mounted
found a used Renegade bracket set up, powdercoated it, and mounted it and mocked up the D1 Procharger
Intercooler is mounted, working on the plumbing
all vaccuum lines are connected, top of motor completed
all gauges are wired and hooked up

Working on the wiring harness and battery relocation right now. Hope to start it in the next few weeks.

PurpleZJ

Reaction score
I'm loving the progress so far. I'm waiting for a title to clear but once it does I'm picking up a 95gt with a 377 built from a 351w. Once I have it we'll have to meet up so I can get more ideas on cleaning up the engine bay in mine as I'm from the kc area too. Keep up the great work

OP
OP
B

bhorne89

Reaction score
Updates,

Finished wiring the Stereo, amps, alarm, MSD box, switch panel, ambiant lighting, shift light, gauges, etc. Door poppers for the shaved door handles are done. Wired the battery in the trunk and ran 1/0 guage to the front. relocated the underhood fuse box.

Custom stuff done are the stereo, I fiberglassed in a doubin din Pioneer unit, into the factory 95 dash bezel. Painted it Sonic Blue to match, it came out nice. Put the new leather shift boot on, with the MGW shifter, and used the gaskets for that as well. Billey accessories to finish this off.

Dropped out the trick flow valve covers at a local machine shop, Jakes Performance, and Jake did a hell of a job welding on an Oil fill cap and tube, and a -12an fitting on both valve covers for a breather system, that I am running to a catch can on the passenger side fender apron. I will post pics of the valve covers later when I get them back from the powder coater.

SO I feel that the suspension, brakes, interior, and electrical are done. Almost finished under the hood, but the final details are taking forever. I am off work this week, and am trying to get it started, but may be waiting on parts. The best news is that running or not, we are loading the car onto a trailer, and on Monday taking it to the body shop to have the car wet sanded, polished and buffed, and all the body parts are going on! Ground effects, door fillers, spoiler, bumpers, decals, etc.. I cannot wait.

OP
OP
B

bhorne89

Reaction score
I have the car running, been very busy lately on it, got a break in tune, lots of help from friends and family. Long hours, and she is in the paint shop being wet sanded and polished out right now. I am hoping to get the ROTM in May??? :) I will be posting pics soon.

OP
OP
B

bhorne89

Reaction score
Seats, roll cage in place:

These pics are the amps mounting and covered by a "Saleen" rear seat delete I made, Covered, Back lit, and ambiant lighting on the floor:

OP
OP
B

bhorne89

Reaction score
Had some questions on the fuel system, I used the 99-04 tank so that I could run a bigger fuel system, and lines, without the sumped look. I wanted it to stay clean and look like a street car. Here are the parts that I used:

Pic 1, Black Division X fuel hat, screws into the stock 99-04 tank, the Lethal Performance wiring harness for dual pumps, on the bottom left. This was a click in harness that plugged directly into the hat. Run it to power, ground and the pink wire on the fuel cut off. Worked perfectly. I ran twin 340 lph aeromotive pumps. -10an feed to a "y" block, -8an to the rails, back to the regulator, and a -8an return. All fittings are fragola, all hose is Fragola. I used the PFTE teflon fittings and hose, I have no smell of gasoline in the garage! I did have to use the 1995's filler neck, but used all new gaskets and seals on the tank.

pic 2, hat with pumps installed, regulator, y-block, filter, clamps, etc. The aeroquip hoses are for the breather system, and hydroboost hoses, not the fuel system.

pic 3, the hat, nice piece! fits perfectly, and high quality

pic 4, 03 Mach 1 tank with hat installed:

pic 5, regulator mock up mounting

pic 6, Feed lines mounted, and clamped down:

Let me know if there are any other questions and I will help! I will say never interchange the hose ends and fittings brands. The are not all made the same! I learned the hard way.

Thanks guys!

ReplicaR

Reaction score
misc011_zps23c833dc.jpg

Hey, quick question. Who makes this hood, and how much does it weight?

OP
OP
B

bhorne89

Reaction score
Hey, quick question. Who makes this hood, and how much does it weight?

Not sure on the weight, it is fiberglass, and pretty light. I just took it off to wetsand the underside, and it is light enough, That I held it and moved it around myself.

It is a Harwood Formula hood. Harwood hoods fit nice, but need lots of work. There is a bottom and top glued together, so they leave a couple inches on the edges hanging off that you have to trim yourself. I got it from Summit about 5 years ago. The biggest pain in the a$$ part was getting it to me. I waited a while for one to show up, and it was in pieces from the carrier not being careful, I had to refuse it, and file a claim for Summit to send me another one.

OP
OP
B

bhorne89

Reaction score
May be selling my car. It is so close to done and running. Lost my job.and was off for too long. Need some.money. pm me if interested.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bs.austin.tx

Members online