200,000 mile GT build

Boostr1

Reaction score
Yeah, those dry climates are good on the panels, don't go to far south though, then you'll get the salty air rust...

Addicted

Reaction score
Ive been very particular when driving my car, and I'm proud to say its paid off in the long run. Out of 17 years ive only driven it twice in the snow, and that was the day of the snow before the salt was laid down. If it's raining I wont drive it either, and now I'm blessed to have a taurus to drive in those conditions. If you are really addiment about driving in nasty conditions, I would strongly suggest that you buy a beater to drive. I hope you find your parts so you can get your car fixed.

Boostr1

Reaction score
Ive been very particular when driving my car, and I'm proud to say its paid off in the long run. Out of 17 years ive only driven it twice in the snow, and that was the day of the snow before the salt was laid down. If it's raining I wont drive it either, and now I'm blessed to have a taurus to drive in those conditions. If you are really addiment about driving in nasty conditions, I would strongly suggest that you buy a beater to drive. I hope you find your parts so you can get your car fixed.

Same here, drove it a few times in snow but that was 13 years ago. It really only has surface rust underneath. Actually in good shape for the age.

OP
OP
Akurma

Akurma

Reaction score

Same here, drove it a few times in snow but that was 13 years ago. It really only has surface rust underneath. Actually in good shape for the age.

That's how I treat the car since i got it in 2013. But the previous owner, she drove it daily for about 10 years in Maryland, so the rust was most likely set in long before I got it lol

Last edited:

delling3

Reaction score
Tin worms are the biggest threat to these cars. I paid a premium for my '96 vert, but it was a "import" from California. I bought it with 96000 miles on the clock, but it is so clean underneath. A typical daily driver here in Michigan would look worse after one winter.

TheOdessa

Reaction score
I personally bought some used performance parts from MPS in the past and had nothing but good experiences with them. Hopefully you get what you want! Georgia is good because there is no snow and you’re not near the sea. They have Georgia clay but that just washes off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Akurma

Akurma

Reaction score
Well after countless phone calls to a little over a dozen yards, who by the way, not a single one returned my calls! MPS was the only yard I was actually able to speak with someone that wanted to actually help me. The shipped to my door price was $738. I heavily contemplated getting a one way ticket down there ($42!) renting a pickup and driving back as it would have been cheaper than shipping, but couldn't make it happen. Then I actually happened to find someone who has done this exact repair before and better yet they are local. He came over and looked at it and quoted me $500-600 for the repair. The way I look at it is, it saves me a bit of money compared to MPS and the head ache of having to do the repair myself. He is getting the car this week, so hopefully by the middle of June I can get the ball really rolling!

While I wait for the guy to repair my rust, I am putting together a parts list of things I still need, let me know your input!

03/04 steering rack - might as well upgrade while its out
Steering shaft bushing/grommet - Odessa suggested
Maximum Motorsports coil over kit - Have a new pair of Tokico D-specs
Power steering pump - Works perfectly fine and doesn't leak but its old
A/C compressor - Old and leaky
Fuel tank - probably don't need one, but they are around ~$100 for a new one, plus I have to drop the tank for the fuel pump anyway
Bigger injectors? - Currently have a set of 42# green top injectors but have seen people say that they may not be enough?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Akurma

Akurma

Reaction score
Small update, Got word from the stop today. Slight issue that we both were unaware of. The shop that is fixing the rust dropped the K-member and found a ~3 inch hole in the bottom of the frame rail :eek:. He is going to take care of it and as well as look at the other side as well.

I also ordered the MM coil over kit for my Tokico D-specs, but they are on back order so who knows when they'll show up

Last edited:

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
I am so glad I live where the state dose not salt the roads after snow fall
that is probably where most of the rust came from

OP
OP
Akurma

Akurma

Reaction score

Agreed, it is why I try my best with my cars now to not drive them in the winter... well besides my winter beater lol. Wish I had a picture to share because it definitely looks bad with the rust all cut out

Last edited:

Boostr1

Reaction score

That's why I have 15' F150....er well it's also my DD. I think it was a lease in Michigan, and for the conditions they have there it's in pretty good shape.

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
when I do go out of state , winter time I use my ranger 4x4 or f150 4x4 , I under coated the shit out them, its like a black tar from the factory coating

BigBore96

Reaction score
What kind of crate engine is that?
Seems to be a bored out milk variant that I can only assume will hold a lot of power. I mean look how the brake master is mounted just for it to fit in there.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Akurma

Akurma

Reaction score
What kind of crate engine is that?

Seems to be a bored out milk variant that I can only assume will hold a lot of power. I mean look how the brake master is mounted just for it to fit in there.
Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Word on the street is that its a chocolate milk crate engine ;)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Akurma

Akurma

Reaction score
I got the Rustang back from the shop that was doing the repair! They did a great job, much faster and nicer than I could have done. It ended up being worse than it appeared once he got into it. Always seems to be the case with rust lol. What we thought was just going to be the lower shock tower and inside rail turned into doing the entire rail and even the bottom of the passenger rail (picture 6.) I sprayed some primer over the bare metal so it doesn't rust while I get it prepped for paint.

50026942711_facd02d470_b.jpg

50026942706_1236d740e4_b.jpg

50026405238_fbb5fbbf3b_b.jpg

50026405213_75d25a0c08_b.jpg

50026405093_1c381f9626_b.jpg

50026405078_b019268b12_b.jpg

50027205427_57c9d5abe9_b.jpg

50027205272_7a1bae8425_b.jpg

50026404928_ef492e25bd_b.jpg

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
Looks like they did a pretty good job.

Also, do you not have springs on that thing? There’s no engine and that sucker is sitting low!

OP
OP
Akurma

Akurma

Reaction score
Looks like they did a pretty good job.

Also, do you not have springs on that thing? There’s no engine and that sucker is sitting low!

You are correct! The shop requested that I take the springs out in the event they had to drop the K-member. Don't worry I have ordered some MM coil overs to replace the Eibach sportlines

50HSN95

Reaction score
Looks like they did a nice job! Rust can be a nightmare. One of the reasons I cringe living in Minnesota in the winter, the stuff they use to clear the roads here ears cars from the inside out.

OP
OP
Akurma

Akurma

Reaction score
Looks like they did a nice job! Rust can be a nightmare. One of the reasons I cringe living in Minnesota in the winter, the stuff they use to clear the roads here ears cars from the inside out.

Being a car enthusiast and living anywhere in the salt belt, just flat out sucks lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cwacaser

Members online