4.6L engine rebuild

HawkX66

Reaction score
There hasn't been a lot of
traffic at stangnet for SN95s, so I figured I'd give you guys a lookie see.
Here is what I've been up to. I picked up an 00 Mustang with a stock full
02 GT drive train. 4.6L, TR3650 & 8.8" 3.27 rear end. Almost
immediately I started getting a noise that sounded like valve train issues. I
opened the valve cover and it was a mess. Previous owner didn't believe in oil
changes apparently... So I threw a set of lash adjusters and plugs at it
along with new COP boots. They were smoked for sure and needed it. Still an
internal engine rattle it sounds like so I installed a Cloyes timing kit. Left
bank went in kind of tight, but it ran well after with the noise still. Overall
the engine quieted down a lot. I pulled the motor this past weekend and
stripped it to the short block. Nothing obviously wrong. I think I figured it
out and I hope it's as simple as I think it might be. After hot tanking the
motor or something similar, I'll be measuring everything and putting it back
together. Hopefully it was either an oil clog or something a lot more simple
that I think it might be.

If you guys think of anything else I should check, give me a holler please.
Here's some pics:

It's getting a cowl hood and both the hood and trunk will be flat black.

The first glimpses of the real ugliness...

OP
OP
HawkX66

HawkX66

Reaction score
New Cloyes kit 9-0387SJ. The original wore through and into the adjuster. Nice... Left bank chain was too tight on the first new kit. Swapping it out for a new one. Other than that, the kit is real nice and easy to install.

Out the motor comes:

Chains through the strut towers and bolted to the k frame mounts.

Could it really be this easy? I hope so...

OP
OP
HawkX66

HawkX66

Reaction score
Wow that thing was miss treated for sure. Glad to see you giving it some love.
Ya she was. It's too bad too. Whoever did the GT drivetrain swap did an excellent job. The girl who had it last didn't have a clue though. Whoever did the dropped springs put one in upside down and it was in there with about 8" broken off. Most other things are good to go.

NEURON

Reaction score
Jeez! How long did it go without an oil change!! Crazy, still blows me away that some one cannot at least change the oil and filter, it is really easy on this engine unlike some other cars. Great pictures! Is that a big block Chevy in the background?

OP
OP
HawkX66

HawkX66

Reaction score
Jeez! How long did it go without an oil change!! Crazy, still blows me away that some one cannot at least change the oil and filter, it is really easy on this engine unlike some other cars. Great pictures! Is that a big block Chevy in the background?
My wife was just shaking her head last night with me. No one in her family ever was into cars except her Grandfather, but she said that when she was 16 even she knew the importance of changing the oil lol. And she's a priss!
Good eye. That's my 69 Camaro in the background. I finished all the rough work and drove it all last summer in primer. It's an SS396 L34 (350hp/396ci.) I have the born with motor bagged in the corner and I pulled the 408ci BB I was running last summer to put in my newer build. It's a roller 494ci. She should rip pretty well. I'm figuring anywhere between 550hp-600hp with the Lunati roller kit I'm throwing at it and the 502 heads. Here's a couple of pics. She's a work in progress.

98snakehorse

Reaction score
My wife was just shaking her head last night with me. No one in her family ever was into cars except her Grandfather, but she said that when she was 16 even she knew the importance of changing the oil lol. And she's a priss!
Good eye. That's my 69 Camaro in the background. I finished all the rough work and drove it all last summer in primer. It's an SS396 L34 (350hp/396ci.) I have the born with motor bagged in the corner and I pulled the 406ci BB I was running last summer to put in my newer build. It's a roller 494ci. She should rip pretty well. I'm figuring anywhere between 550hp-600hp with the Lunati roller kit I'm throwing at it and the 502 heads. Here's a couple of pics. She's a work in progress.

That's what I'm talking about.... That thing is sweet!

OP
OP
HawkX66

HawkX66

Reaction score
That's what I'm talking about.... That thing is sweet!
Thanks bud. It's been a long time coming. I pulled it in the garage back east in 2008 and started to dismantle it. June 2016 I fired it up for the first time in 8 years. I built it to drive, not trailer it.

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
That Camaro is sick! and good job so far on the purple people eater!

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I like this thread!!!

Good save on the non-gt and that rotisserie makes me totally jealous!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Burninriverdiver

Reaction score
That's some sludge, sorry to see the carnage you have to deal with but at least it's getting taken care of now! It'll look nice with a black cowl hood and trunk

OP
OP
HawkX66

HawkX66

Reaction score
That Camaro is sick! and good job so far on the purple people eater!
Love it. I'll have to remember that one.

I like this thread!!!

Good save on the non-gt and that rotisserie makes me totally jealous!!!!!

That's some sludge, sorry to see the carnage you have to deal with but at least it's getting taken care of now! It'll look nice with a black cowl hood and trunk
Thanks guys. I thought I had a solution with a local Saleen 4.6L on CL, but the owner ended up needing the heads etc for the motor he was swapping. Lame... He had a non-PI, but I'd rather just fix what I have than go NPI. I think it'll end up ok. I'm going to pull the crank and pistons this weekend and mic everything. Hopefully I don't find anything crazy in the short block. I'm starting to think all the noise could have been a huge exhaust leak with the metal gaskets rattling. It's a stretch though. It really sounded like valve train, but deeper in the motor. Maybe piston. Who knows...
Here's the look I'm going for when it's done. Hopefully soon so I can get back to my 69...

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
^^^^i approve!!!! That pic is pure sex!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
HawkX66

HawkX66

Reaction score
Seeing how this is turning out to be more of a build thread, I'll post a few more pics I took along the way for those of you who like pics in threads like I do.

The way it looked at first with 20" wheels: :laughing5: Their taste was reflected in the oil changes lol... I put 335/35ZR17 tires on the rear and 275/40ZR17 on the front. Much better.

Day 1. It looks like it's never been cracked open.

Before any clean up at all: :icon_puke_r:

After lash adjusters and the timing kit:

Forgot to mention this little guy! The one on the left. #8 spark plug is seized in the head. Now that the head is off, I should be able to get it out with some heat etc. When it was still in the car, I soaked it for a day in PB Blaster and tried it. Nothing. Last resort was warming up the motor and hitting it with the impact gently. Eventually it rounded the plug. Not the threads.

DeepList

Administrator
Admin
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I guess my post from a couple of days ago didn't get approved? First post and no notice except it needed to be approved first. :thumbsdown:

From time to time, the first few posts from a new member have to be manually approved because of anti-spam purposes. Sorry we missed that. :(

I'm glad you decided to give our site a visit, and welcome! Can't wait to see more! :)

OP
OP
HawkX66

HawkX66

Reaction score
From time to time, the first few posts from a new member have to be manually approved because of anti-spam purposes. Sorry we missed that. :(

I'm glad you decided to give our site a visit, and welcome! Can't wait to see more! :)
No worries. We're good. Thanks though. I like what I'm seeing so far. Good bunch of car guys.
Just picked up some Roush drop springs and Tokico struts and shocks off a Craigslist deal tonight in Detroit. Couldn't beat the price and they even came with some nice Maximum Motor Sports caster/camber plates. $140 and the springs are like new. If somebody is missing some, these aren't them! Lol...

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Build thread lookin good! Great work! Youll be a guru in no time at this pace!

OP
OP
HawkX66

HawkX66

Reaction score
Build thread lookin good! Great work! Youll be a guru in no time at this pace!
Ha. Ya, I always learn the most when things get as screwed up as this one was. Dammit, I don't want to learn right now though lol!
Off to to the garage for a few hours for some more work towards my third doctorate. :BangHead:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hazel113

Members online