5.0 build noob

vans4455

Reaction score
Hey guys , i picked up a 95 gt 5.0 with 74k on the clock. ive owned camaros for years this is my first stang but could not pass up the deal. so i know my chevys pretty well , but lost when it comes to fords. this car already has alot of bolt on parts. 65mm bbk TB, BBK shorty headers to BBK"i think" H pipe with high flow cats to magniflow cat back exhaust . all stainless steel. subframe connectors , short throw shifter. and 3.73 gears with limited slip. cobra wheels with 275 wide rear tires, bbk CAI, stock maf. sensor tho.

Now i have spent the last 2 months or so doing research i want to put a $1500 cap on my build. so far ive come up with gt40p "explorer" top end. heads. up. i can get all that for around $500ish. or bump it up to real gt40 top end and than im up to around $800ish. but i notice the throttle body is mounted different from intake to intake . and the sensors are different . could be a problem .. e303b? cam .. larger maf sensor not sure what size . i can find 75mm as the smallest. one but shouldnt i than upgrade the TB to 75mm so it is all the same threw out the intake and flows correct???? Also looking into 1.6 roller rockers. but i also have read the 94-95 computers do not do well with cams?? last of all looking into sct chip with tune to finish it all off. not really concerned with a crap ton of power. i just wanted to put a little more pep in its step. . 215 from the factory is just not enough .

so first question. with swapping top end. is the intake cobra or explorer that is pretty much direct bolt on. like is said it looks like all of them have differences .
second question. my thought is everything should match, so with a explorer intake or cobra the inlet is 68mm from what people have been saying so do i upgrade the TB to 75mm and MAF to a 75mm housing as well so it all matches. and what injectors???
third question. what size are the rockers studs.?? ive been looking but can get a solid answer.

i will be starting this project in the next month or so. Thanks for your time and advice

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
I can help a bit. You'll need an SN95 throttlebody adapter to use any of those intake manifolds. Throttlebody the biggest I'd do is 70MM, 75 is overkill. I'd get a custom dyno tune in person when your done, SCT chips are hit or miss, and they're not with the car in person seeing how it reacts

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
If you go with p heads spark plugs can be a pain with out the right the headers . They work fine with bbk long tubes . For this kind of setup the e303 works good and the tfs1 make sure to upgrade the valve springs for the extra lift from the new cam . I would port the lower as well . I have a throttle body elbow adaptor if you need one

OP
OP
V

vans4455

Reaction score
are the p heads angled spark plugs??? i ran into problem with a camaro build when i got the 292 "turbo" heads , sorry talking chevy but thats what i know. but they where angled plug heads and finding headers was a pain. so the normal gt40 heads are straight plug than??? what about gt40x saw a set for $800 on clist. small valves tho. 194 and 154 i think. is that considered "big vlave" heads. yes i was looking into double valve springs with rockers and guides as well. if there strew in stud heads. sorry for all the questions this is all new to me. fords anyway.

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
are the p heads angled spark plugs??? i ran into problem with a camaro build when i got the 292 "turbo" heads , sorry talking chevy but thats what i know. but they where angled plug heads and finding headers was a pain. so the normal gt40 heads are straight plug than??? what about gt40x saw a set for $800 on clist. small valves tho. 194 and 154 i think. is that considered "big vlave" heads. yes i was looking into double valve springs with rockers and guides as well. if there strew in stud heads. sorry for all the questions this is all new to me. fords anyway.

GT40 and GT40X have the normal spark plug angle I believe.

OP
OP
V

vans4455

Reaction score
Ok. I'm picking up 3 Barr cobra heads than where on block for 2k with roller rockers 1.6. My question is do I have to get longer push rods cause of extended lift ???? If so how do I measure how much longer than stock. I'm gettin the head casting numbers tomarrow. To verify there ligit.

Addermk2

Reaction score
Ok. I'm picking up 3 Barr cobra heads than where on block for 2k with roller rockers 1.6. My question is do I have to get longer push rods cause of extended lift ???? If so how do I measure how much longer than stock. I'm gettin the head casting numbers tomarrow. To verify there ligit.

$2000 for GT40 heads? God damn! You might want to stop right now before you get burned.

There's alot of stuff you are about to do wrong, and I can expand on it later... when I get home.

Sent from my CyanMobileX Evo 4G

venomisback

Reaction score
I think he's trying to say 2000 miles

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

RSB95

Reaction score
I'm running stock length push rods with the e303 cam and 1.6 rollers if you go 1.7 you would need longer pushrods

RichV

Reaction score
I have 1.7 Cobra Rockers with stock pushrods.

The P heads work well, but burning up plug wires gets old.

E-cam works well on a budget, probably better options out there.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diabolic2010

Members online